Callaway UPro MX GPS

Great Writeup CG,
I have used the Mx for several rounds and while I like it, I agree there are some issues that needs to be resolved. Yesterday I played a round but I left my MX at home and went back to my Golf Guru because it doesn't require a lot of my attention.
I agree with what you have reviewed but I do find the pro mode to be kindly of useless because it is so dark. I think once Callaway fixed this and other issues, it will be a great product. I use the MX two weeks ago in Las Vegas for three days, and each day, I would experience a different problem.
1. the screen kept going back to the scorecard at times.
2. I play the Callaway par 3 course in Vegas, and the last two holes, the distances was way off.
3. The second day, I played on the Air Force base and had the distances to be way off on a couple of holes.
4. I had to restart the unit on two days..
I like the basic and go feature and once the pro mode is brighter like we see on the videos then this unit can be one of the best.
I was able to get my unit for $150.00 off of ebay and got the unlimited pro mode courses for free so, I can wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.

Client side yes, but a setup that 90% of the folks who use a computer have in their homes. (dsl-router) I used a win7 laptop to connect via wireless to my DroidX. It is running exactly the same virus/malware software as all my wksts. The only dif is not connecting via the router to the Verizon DSL modem. Their connector app has a serious issue with communicating to their webservers thru a normal home setup. I turned on debug for their app and gave that info to the online tech who was going to forward to the dev team. They acknowledge this issue but have yet to come up a actual fix.

Yea that's definitely a problem.

Save your money unless Callaway starts standing behind their product, mine is a glorified paperweight right now.
A very LIGHT paperweight :act-up:

A very LIGHT paperweight :act-up:

So true!

I find the Callaway message board hilarious right now, everyone comes on and cites the same problem to which they give the same half-baked answer to fix the issue. They clearly have no idea how to fix this thing and just need to recall it.

hmm i have my backlight on 21% and i can see it perfectly fine weird. All in All i think it's a good product but i'm really thinking i should of got a bushnell rangefinder instead.

Save your money unless Callaway starts standing behind their product, mine is a glorified paperweight right now.

That's a little extreme; free out of the box with no pro mode this thing is awesome.

You get to see yardages to green, hazards, for free to thousands of courses.

Alot of people don't need anymore than that.

But the syncing issues with te website and the darkness issues with the pro mode is something they need to fix ASAP before they alienate others.

Sgx had tough issues at release too. They were crucified too and now they have a great device.

That's a little extreme; free out of the box with no pro mode this thing is awesome.

You get to see yardages to green, hazards, for free to thousands of courses.

Alot of people don't need anymore than that.

But the syncing issues with te website and the darkness issues with the pro mode is something they need to fix ASAP before they alienate others.

Sgx had tough issues at release too. They were crucified too and now they have a great device.

Thanks, I feel much better about a unit that won't charge, won't sync, won't work. I'm just a damn extremist.

Thanks, I feel much better about a unit that won't charge, won't sync, won't work. I'm just a damn extremist.

Hmm. I've never had a problem charging. And basic & go mode work fantastic.

I'm not trying to discount the fact callAway has some issues with pro mode and syncing ; they most certainly do. And I have confidence in them fixing it in the near future

hmm i have my backlight on 21% and i can see it perfectly fine weird. All in All i think it's a good product but i'm really thinking i should of got a bushnell rangefinder instead.

This "viewability" in promode varies greatly from course to course. I have one local course I play a lot that I can view fine at 0% backlight (if it is bright day). Another course I play regularly, however, is almost unviewable at 100% backlight. Just luck of the draw, really. The frustrating part is that ALL of the courses I've seen on the website are okay. The images on the device itself are not the same as the website.

Once Callaway fixes this, promode will be great. However, I have 0% confidence that will happen this golf season. I expect Callaway's priorities are (1) get syncing and registration problems fixed (BIG PROBLEM), (2) enable the extra functionality on the website (shot tracking, round review,etc.), (3) clean up the dark promode images.

Actually, many THPers can probably point out (2a), (2b), (2c). etc., that ought to be done before fixing promode images.

Last edited:
Fantastic write up. Thanks a lot for the review. The question is: Pro Mode worth it?

I think it is absolutely worth it IF THE PROMODE IMAGES ARE GOOD. The GoMode function I find quite disappointing if there are more than a handful of hazards to deal with -- which sandtrap is 130 away and which one is 140 away? I cannot tell. THe generic images of a sandtrap don't help. It often shows a water hazard or trap that on the screen looks like it is the middle of the fairway, but is clearly to the left or right in reality (or the reverse).

Also, if the course just has a patch of heather or other junk separating two segments of the fairway, GoMode doesn't show this. With ProMode, however, I can see it, use AnyPoint and decide whether I should layup or try to clear the junk. That is GREAT for shot planning. (on the downside, the balky touchscreen and erratic OFN make it hard to me to be precise -- both of them seem to jump after I remove my finger -- maybe just I need more training?).

So I'm thrilled with ProMode if I can see it -- but it's hit or miss if a given course has reasonable contrast.

so another few more days, still no replies from support.

its nwo been 2 weeks since my initial inquiry.

very close to just returning it to the store, there are free app or $1 apps on my phone that work just as good, batter life nto a big deal with phone cause I have multiple batteries just like I do for the GPS.

Ive tried to stay positive, but can only take it so much

Got a big surprise when I got home from work yesterday -- a package from Callaway. It was a upro mx belt clip, which had been promised to me by customer service back on JUNE 8, when I asked them how they could convince me to give the mx a THIRD TRY after returning my first two for (a) problems powering on/off, and (b) freezing on the course all the time. I had given up on ever receiving this, but there it was, 7 weeks after the call. So although it was very slow, I have to give them credit for actually keeping track of and following through with their promise. It really seems like they have good intentions, but are woefully understaffed for the problem at hand. I think once they get caught up this device will be great -- but that's not going to happen this golf season, and I don't blame the many people who have lost patience. Even I have to take a deep breath every time I see "coming soon!" on almost every screen on the website.

Regarding the belt clip -- it sounded good two months ago, but I've used the mx for so long without it that I'm really comfortable with just keeping it in my pocket. I'll give the clip a try, but it may end up in an drawer somewhere. Travel case may have been a better choice (using an old cell-phone case as my "travel case" right now).

i think ill pony up for a travel case... i dont really like anything on my belt or pockets
im having a weird issue when i charge it
everything says fully charged but when i pull it right off the charger and check it... says its 90% charged :sad:

so after all the issues with syncing the MX, I finally took it out on the course. On the first hole tried the Pro version and at 50% the screen shot was just too dark to use. Went back to basic and after the tee shot standing at my 2nd shot the uPro MX in all it's glory froze. I could not even turn it off. I put in the case and used my GolfLogix gps-8 the rest of the round. What a total screwup from Callaway!!

im having a weird issue when i charge it
everything says fully charged but when i pull it right off the charger and check it... says its 90% charged :sad:

That's not weird, that's a standard upro mx "feature":D -- something that's supposed to be fixed in a upcoming software version. For now, accept the fact that 85%-90% when unplugged is "full" charge.

so after all the issues with syncing the MX, I finally took it out on the course. On the first hole tried the Pro version and at 50% the screen shot was just too dark to use. Went back to basic and after the tee shot standing at my 2nd shot the uPro MX in all it's glory froze. I could not even turn it off. I put in the case and used my GolfLogix gps-8 the rest of the round. What a total screwup from Callaway!!

yeah I had the same issue with the dark pro mode courses, jacked the brightness up to 100% and works ok that way, but not sure of the impact that will have on the battery life, obviously not a good one.

so another few more days, still no replies from support.

its nwo been 2 weeks since my initial inquiry.

very close to just returning it to the store, there are free app or $1 apps on my phone that work just as good, batter life nto a big deal with phone cause I have multiple batteries just like I do for the GPS.

Ive tried to stay positive, but can only take it so much

What's wrong with yours?

I was pondering one of these, but maybe I'll wait till they iron out the bugs.

What's wrong with yours?

not too much, scorecard feature is all jacked up, takes way too much work to just to enter the info, when you go to it it starts rolling to the PGS feature of the next hole, just a pain.

and in addition the pro mode downloads are just too dark. Ive made my screen brighter, which seems to help somewhat, now hoping it doesnt suck the battery life dry.

and still upset some functionality, such as stats and shot tracking arent done yet

and now not getting any replies to my questions

I was pondering one of these, but maybe I'll wait till they iron out the bugs.
I would if I were you. The concept is great but the actual functionality and the issues involved are not.

I am very frustrated with Callaway and this device right now. I wish I had never bought it bottom line.

I am very frustrated with Callaway and this device right now. I wish I had never bought it bottom line.
skywalker, I wish I had not also. For now I'm sticking with my golflogix gps-8. May not be as fancy nor have the potential that the MX does, but it gives me the yardages and has worked since day 1 4 years ago!

Played my home course with rhe upro mx today.

I guess I'm lucky that my pro mode course isbr that dark I can see it fine.

The yardages are right on; I love the size and weight of this I really do.

I imagine callaway is working hard to fix the issues.

For te price you can't beat this; 150 I've seen; anypoint works for go mode so I like scrolling to the pin location on the green for Perfect distance.

im perfectly happy with mine so far... i guess all i need it for is distances to the green and how far it is to layup/clear certain hazards and im fine
the only other feature i really use is measuring shots and that seems to work fine also
i actually used it to measure the range distances when i was in the range picker lol
i just cant wear sunglasses while trying to use it cuz the screen looks like its turned off

Back