Bounce - Overthink or Underthink?

Out of the two options, underthink. I have a an idea what works best for me. Just tell me the degree and we're good.

Underthink, even when I read about what it does, I still don't understand which types are best for my wedges.

i don't think it can be overthought. but i definitely think it's underfitted.

I used to over think it, but gone the opposite route. I use the bounce better now and don't worry so much about going back and forth lower and higher depending on if the course tends to have thinner or plusher lies.

Can anyone describe exactly what bounce is and what you should be looking for when choosing?

Can anyone describe exactly what bounce is and what you should be looking for when choosing?

Place a wedge in address position on a flat surface (hard floor like tile or hardwood is good).

If you look at the leading edge of the club you should see that it is not in contact with the floor.

If you have a point A on the leading edge, point B where the sole touches the floor, and point C on the floor beneath the leading edge, you have angle ABC which is your bounce.

What to look for depends upon quite a few factors. Your swing, the type of ground you predominantly play on, the types of lies you typically see, etc.

I probably underthink it. In my last practice session, the ground was really wet and I was chunking it a lot with my 58-9 wedge, so I switched to a 54-11 and saw immediate improvement. That proved to me I don't think about it enough when selecting a wedge for a given shot.

I think I tend to think about it close to the right amount, but if I err to one side it's probably overthink.

I don't know if I over think or under think it, I'll try different grinds just for the sake of it and most new ones I like, the degree of bounce is most important and I preefer 10 and 12 degrees of it no matter the grind.

I definitely underthink it. When I'm looking at wedges I just place the different options on the ground as if I'm addressing the ball and pick the one I feel most comfortable with.

I guess I under think it. I've gotten used to the bounces I've always played on my wedges. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing but I don't really think about it at all honestly. Probably something I should put a little more thought into. Especially for sand shots.

I guess I under think it. I've gotten used to the bounces I've always played on my wedges. Not sure if it's a good thing or bad thing but I don't really think about it at all honestly. Probably something I should put a little more thought into. Especially for sand shots.

Which JB can attest to lol!

I absolutely over think bounce.
I was told that the bunkers at my club are such that low bounce sand wedges are recommended. Too much bounce in the bunkers = skulled shot out of the bunker.
And with the short game lessons that I have been taking over the last 6-9 months, I really overthink bounce. My miss had been a chunk, still is, which means that I am not using the bounce properly on short pitch shots.

I'd say I very much so under think it. I know I dig with my wedges so I bought higher bounce wedges now hoping to help with that. That's as far as I thought about it.

I've never really thought much about it. I just hope I'm swinging so that it works.

I give it some thought, but not a lot. Many of my wedge shots can be from both tight lies, and the rough as well as the sand. I'm not a real deep digger, so I go with less.

Under think for sure. Until I got wedgucated, I thought bounce was bad. Understanding how to effectively use it will make me take it into account quite a bit more when purchasing wedges, but I doubt I would ever get to the point where I am overthinking it.

I am ignorant to bounce... I know what it is, but not how to use it or choose the amount that is right for me

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I definitely think about it and am conscious of the bounce for every iron I am thinking about hitting... I am a steep digger and tend to stay with Callaway- Ping irons for that reason. I will be trying the TM PSI irons soon since the bounce seems to be ample...

Wedges are the same way- I play 50/10 - 54/12 and 58/12

I have tried to play less bounce irons and NO BUENOS....

-David

I haven't given it any thought, so under think for me.

I underthink it, to my disadvantage. Need more time to really learn how to use the bounce around the green for more touch.

I probably overthink bounce itself, but I know what what is good for me and how it's to be used.

Underthink. I'm happy playing any number of wedges wether they have 6 or 14 degrees of bounce.

I definitely over think it. Bounce is your friend and it's someone you should get to know. YMMV.

I am recently new to learning more about equipment so I will say underthink

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Back