Bounce - Overthink or Underthink?

I overthink most things about golf, but thankfully bounce isn't one of them. It really doesn't even get much of a thought.

big time underthink. Never really understood what bounce actually did. This thread further points out my ignorance to it. I have tried a bunch of wedges at a bunch of different combos of bounce/loft and I think I am starting to figure out what fits my game.

I feel as if I over think it. For instance I am contemplating a 56 degree pm grind and bending it to 55* to get the right bounce as I feel my 54* tour grind bent to 55 digs into the turf far too much.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Until recently I intentionally tried not to think about it - too confusing.

I would say up till now, I have under thought it. This thread sent me down a bounce rabbit hole. Learned a lot more than I started off knowing.

I under think it. I still lean the club forward a bit when chipping, i still think i need to get the leading edge down otherwise ill end up bladeing it across the green.

I feel as if I over think it. For instance I am contemplating a 56 degree pm grind and bending it to 55* to get the right bounce as I feel my 54* tour grind bent to 55 digs into the turf far too much.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that when you bend a club to strengthen the loft you decrease bounce, while weakening loft does the opposite. Perhaps the digging of your 54* is more a function of the sole grind?

I underthink even tho I have two wedges with different bounce I will use around the greens or out of the traps depending on conditions.

I just buy wedges with the lowest bounce and work from there. I play in many courses with different conditions so it's hard to get anal on bounce. I try to focus more on how the club will interact with the turf/sand and the ball.

Keep in mind that when you bend a club to strengthen the loft you decrease bounce, while weakening loft does the opposite. Perhaps the digging of your 54* is more a function of the sole grind?

Thank you for claRifying! It might be yEs now that I think about it.

I have a pretty fair understanding of what it is supposed to do and how to use it, I think anyway. However, I don't have several wedge sets at my disposal in order to adjust based on course conditions so I pretty much just use what is standard and deal with it from there. Not much point in overthinking it if there is nothing I can do about it.

I'd say "just right".

Basically, don't hit your sand wedge off a Texas fairway. Beyond that, I just let it do its job. I leave the hard thinking to the folks at Wilson.

Now ferrules on the other hand I way overthink. Gotta make those clubs look good when I build them. :)

I under think it. When trying/buying wedges I always go mid bounce and let it fly.

Under think, for sure!!!

Underthink for me. I don't really know how to use it effectively to my advantage.

I did a lot of research when i purchased my new set of wedges. What kind of bounce for what shots and conditions. I've changed two of the wedges out and i can still hit my shots in the conditions I'm playing in so I don't pay much mind anymore.

I'll leave it at this, If it wasn't for THP I probably wouldn't be gaming enough bounce. Definitely under think it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back