My one year lower my handicap challenge!

Clubs will help some but they won't be a cure all. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet. Work on your swing and any weaknesses (chipping/putting). We are all different but it seems like it would be hard to improve playing 3 times a week ... too much playing and not enough practice??? Good luck on this journey!

If it were me I would spend the club money on a couple of lessons to get you pointed in the right direction. Play with what you have until you can get more consistant. It is hard tobstay away from shiny new clubs though especially being a part of this site lol! Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

What a cracking read, fair play and I hope you start hitting form soon :act-up:

And I like the Dan plan just shows you sometimes you need to do something for yourself and have a real good go and NOT die wondering !!

Project single figures for myself in 2016 starting again after 6 years out !

I suggest you track stroked gained putting instead of total putts. Good job shaving some off though.

I suggest you track stroked gained putting instead of total putts. Good job shaving some off though.

I am interested in the whole strokes gained thing but don't really understand how to track something like that. Is that something you track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am interested in the whole strokes gained thing but don't really understand how to track something like that. Is that something you track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually do for putting since it is the easiest.

just record the distance of your first putt and use a chart or something.

kbfc-07-15-putt.png

So if your first putt was 15 feet and you two putted then you would be -.04 since expected is 1.96.
If you would have made it you would get +.96 for the hole. Do that for every hole and add it together.

Also keep in mind those are PGA stats so odds are the greens you play on are easier, but it still makes a good reference point to track improvement.

Hi Guys

Some feedback on todays round.

I shot 90, so 6 strokes better than Tuesday and 1 stroke better than last weeks round.

I hit 3 fairways and 4 greens in regulation and I once again made 33 putts. I made three pars and one birdie, my first since starting to play again and I can tell you I want more.

I one putted 5 times and three putted only twice. I feel like my short game is really picking up and if I can hit the fairways from the tee, my scores will fall with a few strokes. My iron play is fair at this stage, but still needs more work. On the last two driving holes I increased my swing speed and both drives went down the middle of the fairway averaging about 290y, so I will try swinging faster on my next rounds. I think my driving went wrong when I started trying to intentionally swing slower.

i think I have decided on clubs as well and will be buying tomorrow. I will be getting the Aeroburner Driver and Fairway wood and Speedblade irons. I will also look at getting an Odyssey putter and extra Taylormade wedge. At this stage I am toying with the idea of getting a GPS, but not so sure whether it is worth it at this stage. What are your thoughts?

I am going on holiday now for two weeks and plan to play two rounds or so during the next two weeks, but will be back in early January and then start to practice more regularly.

I will give feedback on my rounds played during the next two weeks.

Cheers

Good read will follow #chasingscratch... I have lost my driver swing by trying to slow it down, but you should be able to.
You are getting close, hope the clubs help out!

Hi Guys

Some feedback on todays round.

I shot 90, so 6 strokes better than Tuesday and 1 stroke better than last weeks round.

I hit 3 fairways and 4 greens in regulation and I once again made 33 putts. I made three pars and one birdie, my first since starting to play again and I can tell you I want more.

I one putted 5 times and three putted only twice. I feel like my short game is really picking up and if I can hit the fairways from the tee, my scores will fall with a few strokes. My iron play is fair at this stage, but still needs more work. On the last two driving holes I increased my swing speed and both drives went down the middle of the fairway averaging about 290y, so I will try swinging faster on my next rounds. I think my driving went wrong when I started trying to intentionally swing slower.

i think I have decided on clubs as well and will be buying tomorrow. I will be getting the Aeroburner Driver and Fairway wood and Speedblade irons. I will also look at getting an Odyssey putter and extra Taylormade wedge. At this stage I am toying with the idea of getting a GPS, but not so sure whether it is worth it at this stage. What are your thoughts?

I am going on holiday now for two weeks and plan to play two rounds or so during the next two weeks, but will be back in early January and then start to practice more regularly.

I will give feedback on my rounds played during the next two weeks.

Cheers
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a very encouraging round but I'm so jealous. Wish I could flip a switch and decide to hit it 290. Nice!

If I were you I wouldn't get a gps but as soon as you can find a good deal on a range finder go with that. Right now the laser won't be as useful but eventually. I also think something like game golf would be useful for you. Really makes it easy to see how far you hit each club.

So, just as I was about to pull the trigger on a new set of irons and woods I decided against it. Decided that I would get a new set once I have a consistent swing and play consistently lower scores. My reasoning was that a new set of clubs wont serve me better at this stage than my R7 Driver and irons.

As part of my challenge to lower my handicap I have now decided that I will try to lose some weight as well. I'm 264 pounds now and losing a few can only be to my and my game's benefit.

As stated earlier I'm on holiday now so not much golfing over the next two weeks, but I will try to play two rounds in the next two weeks.

Cheers

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I agree with your decision to wait a bit before deciding on the new clubs PV. Makes good sense at this stage.

So, just as I was about to pull the trigger on a new set of irons and woods I decided against it. Decided that I would get a new set once I have a consistent swing and play consistently lower scores. My reasoning was that a new set of clubs wont serve me better at this stage than my R7 Driver and irons.

As part of my challenge to lower my handicap I have now decided that I will try to lose some weight as well. I'm 264 pounds now and losing a few can only be to my and my game's benefit.

As stated earlier I'm on holiday now so not much golfing over the next two weeks, but I will try to play two rounds in the next two weeks.

Cheers

Good idea on the weight as well. You should lose some just from playing. I went from 245-250 at start of season to about 220-225 with out actually doing anything except play and I wasn't even walking, almost always drive a cart.

Cheers

Two very wise decisions, in my opinion. Good for you.

A golfer on another popular site has a strokes gained spreadsheet that can be used on all shots.

A golfer on another popular site has a strokes gained spreadsheet that can be used on all shots.
I actually have it as well. Not super hard but kind of time consuming, I think I used it for 20 or 30 rounds. It would be amazing if you could download your rounds from game golf in csv format and put it straight into the spreadsheet.

I actually have it as well. Not super hard but kind of time consuming, I think I used it for 20 or 30 rounds. It would be amazing if you could download your rounds from game golf in csv format and put it straight into the spreadsheet.
Apologies for not reading ever entry and commenting on only the parts that I have read

First off. Good for you. Making a goal and sticking to it. And congrats for taking a hard look at yourself and choosing a healthy lifestyle and weight loss plan.

Both of these goals will serve you well and Improve your game and enjoyment of life.

Have you tried the Game Golf or Arcos systems. Either will give you tons of information and track your game. Club by club. Distances and percentage of GIR. Fairways hit etc. Even putting statistics.

The information is collected automatically while you play and can be reviewed later for strategies on areas of weakness to focus your practice.

Also playing in as many tournaments as you can has helped me a lot. Even if you aren't as prepared as you would have liked. The act of showing up and having to play your best with pressure sharpens your skills in a way not achieved my playing and practicing regularly for pure enjoyment alone.

Again Congrats. .

We will be watching. And cheering you on to your goals.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OK, so heres the plan....

While on holiday and not thinking about work stuff all the time I started thinking.
My challenge is to see how much I can reduce my handicap with in a year. What happens beyond that?

So with all the thinking time I have I thought about a grand plan for the future. I was thinking....reach a single figure handicap by the end of 2016 and then become a scratch by the end of 2017. In 2018 play in the amateur tournaments and then apply to play in the 2019 Q School of the Sunshine Tour (our South African Pro Tour). The entry requirements is that you are a scratch or better and ranked in the top 150 amateur players in the country.

Some might think that Im stupid for setting such a goal, but I am a big believer in you can do anything you set your mind on. For example, I was always the fat kid in school who didn't do any sports. At 35 I decided I would start to train and do triathlons. I started to train and ultimately did 2 Olympic distance triathlons, 2 Half Ironmans, a few half marathons and a 50km Ultra Marathon. Who would have thought thay the fat kid in school would do that.

So the plan is, play in the Q School in December 2018 / January 2019. Not qualify for the tour, but only play in the Q School

The important thing is support. You guys support is very important to reach the goal. You will get the nay sayers, but mostly you will get support, and thats what I appreciate.

So my one year challenge has changed to a three year plan....lets see how it goes, maybe someday I will even get to play a few rounds in the US of A or the UK....

Cheers
www.facebook.com/chasingscratch

OK, so heres the plan....

While on holiday and not thinking about work stuff all the time I started thinking.
My challenge is to see how much I can reduce my handicap with in a year. What happens beyond that?

So with all the thinking time I have I thought about a grand plan for the future. I was thinking....reach a single figure handicap by the end of 2016 and then become a scratch by the end of 2017. In 2018 play in the amateur tournaments and then apply to play in the 2019 Q School of the Sunshine Tour (our South African Pro Tour). The entry requirements is that you are a scratch or better and ranked in the top 150 amateur players in the country.

Some might think that Im stupid for setting such a goal, but I am a big believer in you can do anything you set your mind on. For example, I was always the fat kid in school who didn't do any sports. At 35 I decided I would start to train and do triathlons. I started to train and ultimately did 2 Olympic distance triathlons, 2 Half Ironmans, a few half marathons and a 50km Ultra Marathon. Who would have thought thay the fat kid in school would do that.

So the plan is, play in the Q School in December 2018 / January 2019. Not qualify for the tour, but only play in the Q School

The important thing is support. You guys support is very important to reach the goal. You will get the nay sayers, but mostly you will get support, and thats what I appreciate.

So my one year challenge has changed to a three year plan....lets see how it goes, maybe someday I will even get to play a few rounds in the US of A or the UK....

Cheers
www.facebook.com/chasingscratch

We're welcomed to my home course. Anytime. Sunny California. Baby.

Apologies for not reading ever entry and commenting on only the parts that I have read

First off. Good for you. Making a goal and sticking to it. And congrats for taking a hard look at yourself and choosing a healthy lifestyle and weight loss plan.

Both of these goals will serve you well and Improve your game and enjoyment of life.

Have you tried the Game Golf or Arcos systems. Either will give you tons of information and track your game. Club by club. Distances and percentage of GIR. Fairways hit etc. Even putting statistics.

The information is collected automatically while you play and can be reviewed later for strategies on areas of weakness to focus your practice.

Also playing in as many tournaments as you can has helped me a lot. Even if you aren't as prepared as you would have liked. The act of showing up and having to play your best with pressure sharpens your skills in a way not achieved my playing and practicing regularly for pure enjoyment alone.

Again Congrats. .

We will be watching. And cheering you on to your goals.

Yep totally have game golf and great for yardages and such just a bit light on the true advanced stats. That is why I was saying it would be great if you could get the info game golf records in an easily usable format for more advanced stats. Still very useful though.

I am a firm believer in setting goals as well. I actually have similar to yours. I will be following amd rooting you on!

So tomorrow its time for another round. Thing is, I will be playing with borrowed clubs so I don't think tomorrows play will add anything of value.

What I want to pay specific attention to is my course management and I think tomorrow will be a great time to start looking at that. Things like lay ups, shorter tee shots when necessary and no heroics.

Im also busy reading Nicklaus' Golf My Way and I want to implement some of the methods I read in the book. I think in that way tomorrow might not be a total waste.

Ill post the outcome tomorrow.

Cheers

I understand game golf will add strokes gained stat soon.

I understand game golf will add strokes gained stat soon.
They did but all it shows in Strokes gained for last 10 rounds average. No ability to filter the info or use it for anything but what they show. Not sure if Game Golf Live lets you do more.

I am not sure why but for some reason the fact their short game stat includes all shots from 100 yards and in. No clue why this annoys me but it does. The spreadsheet I was using have short game under 50 yards. No clue why it annoys me so much, probably because 3/4 wedges don't mean much if they get lumped in with 30 yard low check shots and flop shots.

I am stuck around 90 to 100 , ..... nevertheless, I am comfortable with that because I dont want to lose golf enjoyment from trying to too hard to lower my score. I am just doing my best without trying too hard. If my score went below 90 , I remember that day was my lucky day.

Back