High Loft Wood vs Low Loft Hybrid

I have a mental block when hitting hybrids so I'd always choose the high lofted fairway metal.

Recently compared my 18 degree hybrid to GBB Heavenwood on an indoor simulator. I was much more consistent with my hybrid in terms of both distance and dispersion. Granted I am much more familiar with my hybrid as I have had it for a while but saw no reason to change. I still like the look of the Heavenwood and will give it another try come spring when I can go to a Cally demo day and try different shafts as well and see how versatile the high lofted wood can be. Distance wise, I would have no issues as they both carried approximately the same distance.

I tend to lean to hybrids, as I definitely have a more downward aoa with clubs off the deck. That said, I stop at a 3 hybrid off the tee, and a 4 hybrid off the deck as age and more so a nagging injury have zapped a good bit of swing speed, and any hybrid less lofted wouldn't go any further than the 4. So I do have an XR 4 wood, ( mostly for when on a long par 4 when I mis-hit the tee shot, or the rare occasion a par 5 is reachable ) but don't use it a ton.

I'd bet the breakdown of hybrids vs. wood guys will break down close to the breakdown of sweepers vs. diggers...

I actually prefer just the opposite of the Heavenwood type club. Even created what I call my Hellbryd since instead of more loft with a longer shaft I took a 16* degree fairway wood and cut the shaft down by 1.25". Basically to a 2 hybrid length. The Alpha is more of a "players" style head, smaller profile and lower launch, kind of like a hybrid. Which is why I used the head I did.

I typically make more consistent contact with hybrids than I do fairway woods, partially attributable to the longer shafts I think. Since none other of the OEMs made a 2 hybrid in a more GI type head I made my own and love it.

Now there's an idea!

I carry a 5W instead of a 2h/3h. I'm only willing to hit it off good lies, i.e. out of the fairway. I've considered using a hybrid instead because they're a little more versatile for me in what I can hit out of, but for now I'm leaning toward the idea that I have no business trying to hit 200yds out of rough--I'll never make that shot anyway.

Something I've been curious about, and people responding to this thread may have some valuable insight - let's say you've got both a 19* FW and a 19* hybrid from the same manufacturer in the same product line (e.g., Callaway XR) at stock lengths in each. Would you expect the FW to provide greater distance (from either a slightly longer shaft length, larger head, or something else), or would you expect the distance to be about the same between the two?

Im a fan of high lofted woods. Bigger face, bigger head, more confidence for me. I love taking high lofted woods off the tee more so than a hybrid as well, just a comfort thing for me standing over a club with a bigger head/face on the tee box.

Something I've been curious about, and people responding to this thread may have some valuable insight - let's say you've got both a 19* FW and a 19* hybrid from the same manufacturer in the same product line (e.g., Callaway XR) at stock lengths in each. Would you expect the FW to provide greater distance (from either a slightly longer shaft length, larger head, or something else), or would you expect the distance to be about the same between the two?

I traditionally see more out of the fairway in terms of distance, but its always much closer than one might think. For me, the real boon for the high lofted fairway is the launch/peak as opposed to the distance, but I have played with several who say the same thing about their lower lofted hybrids.

I've always gotten along better with hybrids, but I do have a Heavenwood in the lineup that I'm dying to compare with my gamer and see which one is better for my game.

For me it's a hybrid over a high loft wood. I've always felt as though the high lifted FWs give me more of pop up feel vs a boring ball flight. I just took the 4 iron out of the bag and replaced it with a 3 hybrid. Paid dividends today, in a big way. I tried the 5w and it just didn't fit my eye or my comfort level in terms of feel

For me it's a hybrid over a high loft wood. I've always felt as though the high lifted FWs give me more of pop up feel vs a boring ball flight. I just took the 4 iron out of the bag and replaced it with a 3 hybrid. Paid dividends today, in a big way. I tried the 5w and it just didn't fit my eye or my comfort level in terms of feel

How much of that flight do you think could be accommodated by the right shaft (for your intentions)?

How much of that flight do you think could be accommodated by the right shaft (for your intentions)?

I don't know, I've never been for for FW shafts. I'm guilty of thinking the same shaft that performed in one wood works in another. It could make a great deal of difference.

The 5W felt like a one trick pony vs my hybo that has lots of tricks

Since I put the Heavenwood in my bag about the only time my 4 hybrid gets used is in deeper rough, I seem to be able to "hack" the ball out of the deeper rough better with the hybrid...other than that the Heavenwood is higher launching, softer landing and straighter than the hybrid.

My reasoning is purely gaps. If a club fits the gap and I hit it well then I use it.

I switched from a 3h to the heavenwood earlier this year mainly out of curiosity. I seem to hit both about the same distance but the heavenwood has more height to it. I have a 4h below it and have contemplated a new top end of my bag in the offseason but not sure what that would look like yet as I want to (finally) get a fitting.

I've tried 5-6 different 18-19* hybrids with the thought of replacing my 5-wood. Just can't find anything better. Think off the tee I prefer looking down at a wood and I don't have an issue with it from the fairway either. Have played some great hybrids, just nothing that stood out being better than the 5-wood

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I carry and 3 and 5 wood for the distance, and 2 hybrids that replace irons of the same loft.

Im a hybo guy. I just feel better with it off the deck than any fairway I have ever had including my old trusty tight lies.

I used to prefer the hybrid, but I think that was more of a swing flaw. I love my 7w (basically a heaven wood) and if I didn't hit my 4H really well I would look at the Divine 9 at that spot.

I really like my 3W off the tee or the deck (as long as I am in the fairway) and have a good lie. However, if I am in any rough or other type of situation I prefer using my hybrids. I am more comfortable with them and they fit my eye better.

I have yet to find a hybrid that I hit well. At this point I'm thinking it's more mental than anything else, but out of frustration (and cheapness) I picked up an X2Hot 5w from CPO and I just crush that thing off the deck and the tee on tight holes. I still think about trying to find a hybrid that'll work for me, but I do so well with the 5w that I don't want to. I find that with the slightly longer shaft I swing a bit more easy and hit much better shots.

Honestly, I gave up on my hybrids last year. Hit my 4h maybe 5 times all season. Sent the X2Hot 16* hybrid away, and didn't look back.

I swing easier, launch higher, and get much better results with my current 5deep, and hopefully a new-to-me heavenwood come spring.

I have a 3W and a 4W currently but the 3W is going to be dropped in favor of a 7W and I currently play 4H-6H, they are the clubs that just work for me. Personally I hit FW better than I hit hybos so if I could find an 11 wood I would drop the 4H or %H or both and play an 11W. So my reasoning is that I play what works for my horrendous swing.

I'm a sweeper and the 7 wood just seems to fit my eye and swing better.

I believe for a high handicaper the more loft on the club for the same distance wins every time, I would rather use a 4 Hybrid than a 4 Iron and I would rather use a 7 wood than a 2 Hybrid.

Back