Nippon Shafts

Thread: 1st time fitting today. What should I look for in launch monitor numbers?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1st time fitting today. What should I look for in launch monitor numbers?

I'm sick of playing the eternal guessing game of "will this or won't this driver, or this 3 wood work for me". I've finally decided to go in for a proper fitting. So, I'm going in for a fitting today at local Golf Galaxy. Unfortunately, it's the only place remotely close to me, so it'll have to do, even though I have heard mixed reviews about their process. Good news is that a buddy of mine works there & I've known him for years. Former club pro, but I'm not 100% confident he knows what to look for w/ launch numbers, matching those numbers to find ideal shaft, etc. I'm hoping he does, but... What should I look for in launch monitor numbers on my end? I'm going in to check lie angle on irons & hope to get acceptable numbers from my current iron shafts. I hit them very high (miss is left & I'm sure they are too upright as is) but over all I LOVE them. Hoping just lie angle is all that needs adjusted. However, for my fairway woods & Driver, I'm a blank canvas. I want to get as much distance, forgiveness, and good dispersion numbers as possible. I know I'm loosing distance on my driver due to too much spin (as I get ZERO roll out w/ my current set up). Going in w/ no preconceived notions of what I want or any brand loyalty at all. Just want what is best suited for me & my swing. So, as far as the numbers go... What should I be looking for? I've heard that for driver, ideal numbers would be a launch angle of roughly 14*-16*... Spin numbers in the low 2000's, and a smash factor of around 150... Is this accurate? If so, how do you translate these same numbers into the rest of your set? Fairways, long, mid, short irons, etc. I once saw a chart of ideal PRO launch numbers, but I'm no pro. I'm playing off of a 10. I'm anxious to see swing speed numbers. 3 years ago I hit a few drivers into the screen there while I was waiting to get a putter bent & had a SS of around 105-109, but I was swinging out of my shoes. I think today I just want to swing normal... 80-90%... because I don't try to kill EVERY drive on the course, so don't think trying to kill in in the fitting will help much. What else??? Oh yea... I've heard to bring the balls that you actually play w/??? Is this true? I don't want to seem like a pretentious d!@k, but if it helps, I will. Any advice going in would be much appreciated...
    •Srixon Z355 10.5* Driver w/ Miyazaki Jinsoku Stiff
    •Srixon Z355 17* 4 Wood w/ Miyazaki Jinsoku Stiff
    •Srixon ZH45 19* Hybrid w/ Kuro Kage Black Stiff
    •Srixon Z545 Irons w/ Nippon NS Pro 980 GH DTS Stiff (4-P)
    •Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 CB Black Satin Wedges (50* / 54* / 58*)
    •Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The mythical numbers for driver are 17* launch and 1700 spin with a 1.5 smash factor. Only Bubba has that kind of launch/spin. The 1.5 smash I'd definitely attainable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,188 Posts
    Well guess it's too late for advice. So how did the fitting go? I'd be interested in hearing.

OH, and I"m not being a jerk or anything. But your post was extremely hard to read with it being all one big paragraph. I think that may be one reason you didn't get many replies, as there are a lot of guys on here that have some good input to share. Try breaking it up into much smaller paragraphs. I know I bypassed it three times as it hurt my old eyes to read, before finally giving it a go, but it was very difficult. Just trying to help you get more feedback in the future.

But I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing how it went.

Driver: 917 D3, Diamana Red S+ 50g S
    FW 9017 F2 15 degree and 18 degree Diamana S+ 60g
    Hybrids: 816 H1 (i
    Irons: AP1 4-7 Iron and AP2 7-P with DG AMT Red shaft
    Wedges Vokey SM6 50, 54 and 58 degree
    Putter: X7m

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CAA_Beat For This Useful Post:

bodog (02-13-2016)