Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

I did this with my 54 yesterday.

ae99647db3fd8c15bb0320f030d0ec96.jpg

13 feet that came back. It's a first for me.

Where's the hole? :banghead: :D

So after seeing all the great reviews from the guys that went to the Grandaddy, I decided to get the 54* s grind. I fell in love from the first shot. Felt great and solid off the face. Trajectory was perfect and how I went thru the dirt felt a bit different in a good way. Distance was spot on too. I feel like I was hitting yardages on a more consistent basis.

Now one I was happy and content with my PM grind. I've loved that thing so I hesitated a bit on the 58*. Previously I had a 60* PM grind bent to a 58 and lost some bounce. With as wet as its been its been a pain. So after seeing so many guys go with the MD3 over the PM, I went for it and boy am I happy. Never would've though something would feel just as easy to hit. I hit some chip shots very timidly and felt uncomfortable because I was so used to seeing the larger PM grind face. But much to my surprise the results were great. Turd interaction was on point and having that bit of extra bounce felt like I wasn't digging into the ground on every chip. First chip in a game was playing super ball (captains choice) where we all missed the green. I was last to go and the closest chip was still 6 feet away. I stepped up nervous but put a good move on it and put it 2 inches from the hole for par!

couldnt be happier with my purchase

Grandaddy was first I hit them and I was amazed at how forgiving and easy they were to hit. Paired with ChromeSofts it's so easy to stick greens.

Grandaddy was first I hit them and I was amazed at how forgiving and easy they were to hit. Paired with ChromeSofts it's so easy to stick greens.

I know, i guess maybe it's how the weight is distributed but I'm thinking my yardages were more consistent because of it. Yea I love my ChromeSofts with anything lol. I can't wait to see more about the prototypes I heard about during the Grandaddy when the time comes

This still torments my brain.

CQfzYgLUcAAPGqO.jpg

...and then I think, how awesome would it be to have custom Taranto THP MD3's.. And then I continue the want party.

CQfzYgLUcAAPGqO.jpg

...and then I think, how awesome would it be to have custom Taranto THP MD3's.. And then I continue the want party.

I almost begged him through the glass at Callaway, then I thought better of it.

CQfzYgLUcAAPGqO.jpg

This year Captain Canadan, hopefully your team does some begging/borrowing/stealing to procure you a custom Taranto wedge.

What would be the rough MD3 equivalents of the Titlest Vokey SM5 54.14-F and 58.11-K?

This wedge was just nasty for me this weekend. Starting to get my partial swing distances down and the bounce was definitely helpful as it was pretty wet out there. Don't see this wedge going anywhere for a while. I think the 54W compliments my PM 60˚ really well.

What would be the rough MD3 equivalents of the Titlest Vokey SM5 54.14-F and 58.11-K?
vokey K grind would be the MD3 W grind. Vokey F grind would maybe be the MD3 C grind.

I don't think I add anything that you all haven't said or claimed. All I can say is that my love for Bridgestone wedges is firm but I am going to start a new relationship with the MD3. Sick!!! That is what I think of this offering from Callaway.

I remember the buzz when Callaway said they were going to launch he MD wedges. So many were so excited. I thought they were descent but still could not take the place of my J40s or J15s. Well the MD3 has knocked them out of the bag.

I played a few types of shots today from various lies and saw the same results. Control, spin and versatility. More time will be needed to master these but the initial run was SICK!

This year Captain Canadan, hopefully your team does some begging/borrowing/stealing to procure you a custom Taranto wedge.

haha nah, with what is in store for myself and a group of other THPers, there's no need to beg.

That said, I hope I get to see a few customs up close. They are so cool.

I don't think I add anything that you all haven't said or claimed. All I can say is that my love for Bridgestone wedges is firm but I am going to start a new relationship with the MD3. Sick!!! That is what I think of this offering from Callaway.

I remember the buzz when Callaway said they were going to launch he MD wedges. So many were so excited. I thought they were descent but still could not take the place of my J40s or J15s. Well the MD3 has knocked them out of the bag.

I played a few types of shots today from various lies and saw the same results. Control, spin and versatility. More time will be needed to master these but the initial run was SICK!

That says a lot. I'm a real big fan of my J15 wedges but with all the hype and few times I've hit the MD3 I've also ordered a 54 to give a try. We will see in a few weeks if it is good enough to earn it's spot in my bag. My J15 50 and 58 won't be moving though.

That says a lot. I'm a real big fan of my J15 wedges but with all the hype and few times I've hit the MD3 I've also ordered a 54 to give a try. We will see in a few weeks if it is good enough to earn it's spot in my bag. My J15 50 and 58 won't be moving though.
You can hit mine in a couple of weeks :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's bold, and being a J40 fan myself, says a lot. It's also a bit unsettling as its not yet wedge ponder Friday.

I hit mine today for the first time and I am a believer. I'm thinking about swapping out the CF 16 AW for a 50º-10 S now. MD3s are the truth.

I had not really considered the MD3 wedges until reading this thread and based on all the raves, will have to try out a couple of these. Am thinking about the a 54S and 60S combination, with the black finish, and usually have the 54 bent to 55. Bending a 56S to 55 would end up with a pretty low bounce and probably would not be suited as much to the soft to normal conditions I play in. Might even experiment with the W sole grind, which also sounds very good. Currently play the MD2's and I like them a lot. Seems like the consensus is the MD3's are just better all around though. I have a couple of MD2 Tour grinds that will be good trade in prospects with the Cally trade up program, so will probably pull the trigger. I assume the black finish doesn't rust easily?

vokey K grind would be the MD3 W grind. Vokey F grind would maybe be the MD3 C grind.

The 54* F grind is actually closer to the W grind than the S or C. It's basically a full sole/heel with just a tad bit of the sole ground off at the back and high bounce. I have it on my 50* and it's a pretty full sole. The S grind is pretty similar on both the Vokey and MD3's. The Vokey M grind is the equivalent to the C, which is what I have on my 54*.

Callaway MD3 Wedges Review Thread

The 54* F grind is actually closer to the W grind than the S or C. It's basically a full sole/heel with just a tad bit of the sole ground off at the back and high bounce. I have it on my 50* and it's a pretty full sole. The S grind is pretty similar on both the Vokey and MD3's. The Vokey M grind is the equivalent to the C, which is what I have on my 54*.

This is interesting. Went yesterday to tinker around with different grinds from different companies. And the Vokey SM5 M grind in 54° felt really really good and produce the best launch and spin numbers for me. Granted I was hitting off an indoor Matt but I Could tell the difference between each grind. So the C grind compares the best to that M grind?

This is interesting. Went yesterday to tinker around with different grinds from different companies. And the Vokey SM5 M grind in 54° felt really really good and produce the best launch and spin numbers for me. Granted I was hitting off an indoor Matt but I Could tell the difference between each grind. So the C grind compares the best to that M grind?

Correct, the C and M are very similar. I like it on my 54 a lot and probably would have got it on my 58 too if I could have when I ordered them.

Freddie saying these have kicked his J40 out of the bag has me tentatively interested. I only carry two wedges, so I have to decide if I try one out, do I go 52 or 58?

Correct, the C and M are very similar. I like it on my 54 a lot and probably would have got it on my 58 too if I could have when I ordered them.

I tried the 58 M grind but didn't get the same results. Thinking the W grind there in a 58 or 60 would do the trick

Freddie saying these have kicked his J40 out of the bag has me tentatively interested. I only carry two wedges, so I have to decide if I try one out, do I go 52 or 58?
they kicked the bridgestone wedges out of my bag too. Lake J was my first round with them, and the results were fantastic. I guess it depends on your iron misses, if you miss by a lot, get the 52 and play lower shots, if you short side yourself and miss by 5 yards, get the 58 lol

Love me some W grind. The 54/60W's have become incredible confidence inspiring clubs for me.

Planning to get some dedicated short game work in with my 54* MD3 S-grind on Saturday. Just going to focus on chipping and putting this weekend as I slowly get back to playing. This wedge has shown some real potential in the two rounds I played with it after adding it to my bag at Christmas.

Back