If you have a 50 and a 60, do you use a 54 or 56 and why?

I game 50, 54, 58. My 54 gets the most use by far and my 58 almost never gets used. The 50 and 54 fit yardages perfectly for me. IMO most golfers should rarely or never use a 58 or 60, too much room for error with little gained.

I go 50 54 60. I went 54 partly because my gap wedge was 50 and partly because I wanted to try something different. But after doing so I don't think I will go back to 56 again. For my game I see 100 yards a lot and 54 allows me to be much more controlled rather than hoping to catch a full 56 just right. This in turn has lead to a lot more birdie chances and turning 100 yards into a yardage I try and play too instead of avoiding it like the plague.

These are all great answers. The things I considered were distance gaps and the types of shots I hit with each club. I carry a Pw (47), Gw (52 bent to 51), 54 (now bent to 55) and a 60. I originally carried only three wedges. When I added the gap, I bent the gap wedge down and the 54 to 55. Also your home course conditions matter. If you play with firm bunkers like I do, you prob are fine with whatever distance fits the gap and has 11 or 12 degrees of bounce. If you play a soft course with soft bunkers, you'll probably be better off bending the lower lofted wedge to a higher loft and bounce. I mostly use the gap for a full or three quarter shot so I went for 8 degrees of bounce. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have the 712 ap1 W (50 degrees), then went 54 and 60. I like to minimize the gap between the 54 and 50. The way I use the 50 it is basically an 11 iron, although I do use it on longer greenside bunker shots, but other than that it is mainly for full swings. The 54 is used for just about everything, including full shots. There is a 10 to 12 yard gap between the two on full shots.

It may just be a perception for me, but because the ap1s are game improvement, I feel there is a little more tech there that causes a bit of a gap issue if I go to a 56. It may be mental, but I have bagged an old vokey sm 56 and the gap goes up to 15 yards. I prefer to keep gaps smaller on the lower end of the bag.

Ultimately, it really depends on how you use your scoring clubs. If you are comfortable playing various yardages with your 50, you will probably be ok with the 56. That is not my case.

I use a 50, 54 and 60. The reason I went with a 54 was because I found that on full swings that I hit a 56 too close to a 60. The 54 gave me a nice 10-15 yard gap on full swings.

I have a 52 56 and 60 because they fill the gaps nicely for me.

When I get new wedges I will be going 50-55-60 with a 56 bent to 55. The number is slightly arbitrary, as you are really just looking for a loft that fits the gap you need distance wise, while being able to perform any shot you need to with that particular club. Since the MD3's (what I will be switching to) are a little longer in terms of distance than my current Vokey SM5's, a degree weaker will be perfect for them.

When I switched to my first set of GI irons earlier this year, I began playing a 50* gap wedge for the first time. I wound up getting a 54* to cover the yardage gaps better and after a couple weeks had it bent to 55*.

Back