If you have a 50 and a 60, do you use a 54 or 56 and why?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have a 60 Callaway PM grind that I love for flop shots and out of the sand. It must the lefty in me. My Gap wedge is a 50 as part of my Mizuno set I use for full shots. I currently have a 54 Cleveland CB RTX that I mostly use for around the green chipping.

I'm considering moving to a Callaway MD3 to match up better with my PM grind. I've wondered if it would be beneficial for me to go up to a 56 over the 54.

For those who have a similar set up, do you use a 54 or 56 and why?

I currently have a 60 Callaway PM grind that I love for flop shots and out of the sand. It must the lefty in me. My Gap wedge is a 50 as part of my Mizuno set I use for full shots. I currently have a 54 Cleveland CB RTX that I mostly use for around the green chipping.

I'm considering moving to a Callaway MD3 to match up better with my PM grind. I've wondered if it would be beneficial for me to go up to a 56 over the 54.

When I get new wedges I will be going 50-55-60 with a 56 bent to 55. The number is slightly arbitrary, as you are really just looking for a loft that fits the gap you need distance wise, while being able to perform any shot you need to with that particular club. Since the MD3's (what I will be switching to) are a little longer in terms of distance than my current Vokey SM5's, a degree weaker will be perfect for them.

If I'm bending a sand wedge I always prefer to take the stronger loft and bend it weaker. Reducing offset and increasing bounce since I like more bounce in my sw than lob wedge.

I use a 54 because it is my 110 and in club. Basically I know that I can poke it out there 110 and then anything inside of that I just need to adjust. Played a 56 for a while but made the switch recently

If I'm bending a sand wedge I always prefer to take the stronger loft and bend it weaker. Reducing offset and increasing bounce since I like more bounce in my sw than lob wedge.

That's the Vrska approach as well. According to him, most people can benefit from more bounce, not less.

I have a 55° to fill this gap (bent 1° strong from 56°). I'd call it gapping, but really for me it was just mental.

I use a 56* and its probably my most versatile club in my bag. Can be used for full 100 yard shots, 50 yard pitches, long bunker shots, green side pitches.... Just too many options with it not to have it in the bag

I like to fill distance gaps with either 4 or 5 degrees all the way from driver down to my most lofted wedge. If you can hit a variety of shots with a single wedge that is good, but if not you need to fill the gap.

I use a 56* and its probably my most versatile club in my bag. Can be used for full 100 yard shots, 50 yard pitches, long bunker shots, green side pitches.... Just too many options with it not to have it in the bag

Same here. I love my 56 degree.

I got the 56 to go inbetween. Would have got a 55 if Vokey had it, but didn't want to bend one. I like hitting full wedges, and 56 is pretty much bang on 100 yards for me, whilst 60 is 85. Just easier to remember.

I have a 52 instead of a 50, but I use it on all my approach shots inside of 110. The 56 I play out of the sand or over bunkers and the 60 is used for short sided or elevated greens only. I like the loft and bounce of a 56 for the sand because that's what it's made for and that's all I use it for most of the time.

I have a 56, bent a 60 to 61. Love this combo, but i could probably go with just a 58 if I ever wanted more clubs on the top end. I'm good at wedges opening, closing, forward, back, etc...

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I think i'll be going to 2 wedges in 2016; likely 52 and 58... I can play a half shot 58 for the gap between the two... Anything lower than 52 will depend on the set makeup of my irons which hasn't been picked yet. Might need to fill in if the PW is below 46 (which i think is likely)

I use a 54˚, but that is a gapping thing for me as I used to go 50/54/58. With the move to the 60 all I've had to adjust is my LW play. I use my 54 for anything ~100 in to right around the green.

I use 50, 54, 58. Gives me good yardage gaps for full swings.

I have the 50* set gap wedge, a 54* Sand wedge bent to 55* and the same PM Grind 60*

Its more mental to me that the gapping is 5* more than anything else...

Have a 50-54 sm5

130-140 with my 50

i can hit the 54 anywhere from 100-120

i am getting a pm grind 60 for anything under 100yards

I use my 54 for shots that are around 90 yards. For me, 80 yards is about my limit with my 58 and 100 yards is about my yardage with my 50*.

I bent my 56 to 55

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Bunker shots.

I use 50, 54, 58. Gives me good yardage gaps for full swings.

This is what I have as well.

I use the 50/54 for full shots and utility work. The 58 is exclusively a greenside club for either chips/pitches sand flops thats my club for that.

52-56-60. 56 is used mostly in bunkers

I have a 56* that I use for bunkers and lies in the rough. I don't ever use it from the fairway; I'd rather use my 50*

I GAME A 52-56-60

The 56 has the most bounce and it my go-to for splashing out of greenside bunkers

my 52 is my approach from 75 yards, the 60 is from 60 yards and in.

Back