Dirty balls... How do you feel?

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
I just hate it when I go to a range and they have terrible balls to practice with. For me if I know they have terrible balls I will avoid that range. But there are some courses that use junk balls on their range. Balls that greenskeepers find while mowing. If the range at the course has these balls do you still hit balls before your round? What about if the range balls are dirty or covered or with sand on them. Do you wipe off each ball so it doesn't cause scratches on the face of your club? I normally just wipe the sand off the ball before hitting it. I guess I'm OCD. But at the same time I've had a new club get scratched from crappy range balls or dirty ones. And it really ticked me off. While it doesn't affect playability, it still irks me.

How do you feel about dirty crappy balls? What do you do?

I haven't really come across that issue with balls. Then again I really don't pay attention to much. I will say I have come across a ball or two that are ridiculously crapped out. I just brush the ball off to the side when that does happen but again it doesn't happen to often.

If I hit balls pre round, it's to warm the swing. I don't really care too much. If I go to a range to practice they should be in good shape

I think we're due for new range balls in the coming months.

I don't really pay them any mind. If it's really chewed up I'll put it the side or hand it back to one of the cart boys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The two ranges I use around here it isn't a big issue. My home course range it's not a problem at all, the local range I might get 5-10 in a large bucket that are shot but I still hit them just to see what they do. Sometimes it's fun to watch a ball with a giant cut in it fly.

Frogger, that was a premeditated thread title! You dirty amphibian.

And no, I don't like hitting dirty or even sandy range balls, partially why I don't dump them out on the range. Scuffs up the club and I like to mimic real situations on the range, and I don't hit muddy balls on the course. The nice courses around here, you can tell very easily, have dedicated range balls.

My last two range sessions were with dirty balls and it really is annoying. I was tempted to try to clean some but was short on time. I'm not OCD with my current clubs but I wouldn't have liked hitting new clubs these balls with hard, dried on dirt on them.

Only had it happen once and I wont go back there now. If the range uses cheap crap balls I just stay away. I agree i dont want my clubs beat up on the range when it can be prevented from going to a different range.

Frogger, that was a premeditated thread title! You dirty amphibian.

And no, I don't like hitting dirty or even sandy range balls, partially why I don't dump them out on the range. Scuffs up the club and I like to mimic real situations on the range, and I don't hit muddy balls on the course. The nice courses around here, you can tell very easily, have dedicated range balls.

How do you avoid hitting muddy golf balls on the course? Do you play pick clean and place year around?

How do you avoid hitting muddy golf balls on the course? Do you play pick clean and place year around?

99% of the time I don't have to worry about it as it's typically pretty dry on courses up here. Sure, there gets some dirt and stuff but never chunks of mud. I'm not that serious about the rules, I don't play in any tournaments besides THP.

This is why I put impact tape before hitting it.

It bothers me as well. I'll push the best balls out to the side and use those for the driver.

Unfortunately for my game, the only time I'm hitting the range is to get some swings in before a round. And when that is the case, my main objective is simply loosening up, so I rarely give a second thought to the condition of the balls or what they're doing after I hit them. And while I keep my sticks very clean, I'm really not OCD about scratches etc.

I Guess it doesnt bother me that much, but my home course washes all the range balls everyday when they are picked up.

One of the places I play has some older balls that they refuse to take out of rotation bust since I only use that range for warmup before a round it doesn't bother me. I avoid ranges for practice if the balls they use suck

We clean ours religiously at the range I work at because of how I feel about dirty/sandy golf balls. If I run into that at a different course I'll always wipe the balls down before hitting them.

I spent a LOT of time on the range this past year and my clubs really show. Range balls definitely beat up the faces and finish but I was able to make a swing change, ingrain it, and improve every aspect of my game so in my view it was TOTALLY worth it.

I am OCD with my clubs by cleaning them each and every time I swing them but in the end they are items of utility and I know they will get scratched...they don't have to be dirty though!!

The place I go to usually they are cleaned. If it was just a little dirt I'd be fine with it, if it was caked on and dried up that's a little different.

If a range doesn't take care of their balls, to me that is an indication of the state of the range. If they don't care enough to take care of their balls, I assume the range is probably starting to head downhill.

One or two balls that are dirty or messed up is no big deal, things happen but an entire bucket of dirty jacked up balls is an issue.

I use what's available but I agree the feeling you get is less than what I would prefer.

I hit them. I use two ranges primarily. One has balls where the surface is actually wearing out smooth. They've just been used that much.

The other uses Taylormade range balls, which are cleaned before being put out to the range. There is a clear difference between the two.

As for sand, I don't think I'd have the patience to wipe each ball down, but I honestly don't come across it as a problem much. Maybe during the Legacy, wet grass (dew) early in the morning combined with sandy soil lead to some sandy balls. I believe I did take the time to wipe those down, simply because I wasn't getting clean enough contact with the ball.

~Rock

My course buys new range balls yearly and washes balls everytime they are picked, which is a couple of times a day.

I know I started this thread. But it reminds me of this commercial. They even have golf balls in it. Should do a commercial like this for a course/range ball washer. Would be too funny. Sorry to get off topic. Thought I'd share.

Spoiler

I have a range membership and the balls are clean and for most part, decent, maybe a couple out of a large bucket maybe suspect, then I just use those foe the flop shot swings

Back