Stock Market & Retirement Planning

No need to panic if you're allocating properly. When the market tanked in 2009, I just rode the wave and came out happy on the back end. Never understood the folks who constantly sell-buy based on these cycles. Dollar cast averaging is the way to go...

I picked up a few that I would not have bought otherwise, HACK being one of them. I expect good things from that ETF this year (especially with the number of companies that are getting blindsided by successful breaches).

I picked up a few that I would not have bought otherwise, HACK being one of them. I expect good things from that ETF this year (especially with the number of companies that are getting blindsided by successful breaches).

That's a segment I had been looking into getting into as well - thanks for the pointer to the ETF. My wife works in the field, and the demand there is nuts.

What is Hack?

That's a segment I had been looking into getting into as well - thanks for the pointer to the ETF. My wife works in the field, and the demand there is nuts.
What does your wife think about the FireEye 0days that were recently reported?
I think we'll be seeing some fallout into the market for HACK, as FireEye was one of the individual stocks that were doing well.

Maximized my 401(k) today (35%), which means around $8,500+ per year on top of the $800+ that UPS is matching.

Anyone picking up auto stocks now that a few of them are down quite a bit?

What does your wife think about the FireEye 0days that were recently reported?
I think we'll be seeing some fallout into the market for HACK, as FireEye was one of the individual stocks that were doing well.

Apologies. I completely missed this. She didn't seem to think its a big deal, as they're pretty good on the PR side, in terms of getting info out there about exploits and the like. Looks like the stock is still down but not insane amounts.

My wife and and I met with a financial planner on Friday and the vibes were good - we are leaning towards giving him 15% of our investable assets for a trial period. Both of the financial planners I've had in the past I wound up firing after 18 months but this one comes highly recommended from a couple of friends who have been with him for over a decade. Hopefully this one can beat the market returns by a percent or two!

Apologies. I completely missed this. She didn't seem to think its a big deal, as they're pretty good on the PR side, in terms of getting info out there about exploits and the like. Looks like the stock is still down but not insane amounts.
No worries, and thanks for conveying the response.

With GoPro trading in the $28s, I decided to jump back in for a bit. I expect it to hit and settle at that $30-$35 mark shortly and then hope it explodes when QuadCopters branded come out.

Keep it up UHAL :)

Starting to see bottoms to energy pricing (both commodity pricing & oil P&E names), I think. Selloff has been kind of a "measured bloodbath".

To the extent that emerging markets (eg. Brazil, China, etc) can get their s**t together (not convinced of this yet), I think we plod along for a bit, but have otherwise bottomed. In other words, more upside than downside. As it stands, oil is well into the marginal cost curve and that is essentially a de facto floor on the price. As supply excess continues to decline, reductions in production/exploration will eventually catch up. Drillers have shut down more than half of the rigs in the US. Oil can re-balance supply/demand rather quickly. Note also the upside price risk of geopolitical events, particularly in the middle east. That said, it's going to be a play of patience.

Risks would of course include a continued retraction in global economy, further hampering demand, but I can't see the price getting much lower than it's already tested lows below $40.

As such, I started legging in. Bought some VGENX. Vanguard Energy Fund. I want to avoid single-name risk for the time being.

Anybody own stock in Weight Watchers? Oprah just bought a 10 percent stake in the company and shares doubled overnight after that. Making her 60 million overnight.

http://usat.ly/1RS65rQ

I'm glad to see Apple put up another boring quarter. I added to my position last month and am happy to not see the stock go down after it's earnings release yesterday.

I've also been on the LC (Lending Club) train. Was very happy to see the earnings/guidance surprise last week!

Investing in the loans is icing on the cake.

Starting to see bottoms to energy pricing (both commodity pricing & oil P&E names), I think. Selloff has been kind of a "measured bloodbath".

To the extent that emerging markets (eg. Brazil, China, etc) can get their s**t together (not convinced of this yet), I think we plod along for a bit, but have otherwise bottomed. In other words, more upside than downside. As it stands, oil is well into the marginal cost curve and that is essentially a de facto floor on the price. As supply excess continues to decline, reductions in production/exploration will eventually catch up. Drillers have shut down more than half of the rigs in the US. Oil can re-balance supply/demand rather quickly. Note also the upside price risk of geopolitical events, particularly in the middle east. That said, it's going to be a play of patience.

Risks would of course include a continued retraction in global economy, further hampering demand, but I can't see the price getting much lower than it's already tested lows below $40.

As such, I started legging in. Bought some VGENX. Vanguard Energy Fund. I want to avoid single-name risk for the time being.

Curious what the yield is on that one to help with the waiting game.

I have bought the same fund over the last few months as it went down. Looking for a longterm bet. Also bought XOM and chevron

Interesting thought. I haven't put all my money aside for this year's Roth allocation, so I think I'll put some in VGENX as well. A 3k minimum isn't bad... Is there an Admiral shares fund as well?...

edit: there is, but I definitely don't have $50,000 to invest at the moment, so VGELX is out of the picture. :D

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Curious what the yield is on that one to help with the waiting game.
Yield: 2.58%

Expense ratio: 0.37%

Anyone brave enough to buy [h=2]Volkswagen???[/h]

me too. Not sure what to think about it being on the pink sheets though.

Bought gpro and aldw today

me too. Not sure what to think about it being on the pink sheets though.

Bought gpro and aldw today
I wouldn't worry THAT much about it. VAG has Audi, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ducati, and one or two others under their umbrella.

I have been in the market for over 30 years. I don't do funds, they cost too much. If a stock analyst was good wouldn't he be on his yacht somewhere in the Caribbean? I own APPL and agree it's undervalued. I'll probably sell it when it goes up. It's being manipulated too much for my taste. But I don't worry too much about a company with 200 billion in cash. I own a good stock that pays approx. 12% per year in dividends(TWO). REITS by law have to pay 90% of their profit to there shareholders. GoPro is too buggy and now has too much serious competition for me.

Back