Will Jordan Spieth Surpass Tiger Woods Outside Of Golf?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Its a tough question and one I wanted to pose to THPers. This is not about majors, wins, hookers or anything of the sort. Its about business. Spieth signs with Coke and along with AT&T, Rolex and a number of others is becoming the mainstream brand cover boy in the world of golf.

With his play, age and personality, do you believe he can surpass Woods in success off the course?

Absolutely. In large part because he won't "screw up" 10 years down the road and bring shame to his sponsors forcing him to be dropped.

Absolutely. In large part because he won't "screw up" 10 years down the road and bring shame to his sponsors forcing him to be dropped.

Damn you Cookie............Damn YOU!!!!

#ReverseJinxTimes100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

He has signed some impressive endorsements already. Given that he keeps playing at a high level I believe he will

No. The odds of him having prolonged and premiere levels of success which warrant these big paydays is minuscule.

Damn you Cookie............Damn YOU!!!!

#ReverseJinxTimes100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Yeah yeah yeah. And discussing the weather will make it 98 and sunny this weekend.

Put down the pipe Nate.

Tough call ... he is still young, and I am sure there will be social media blunders ... depends on how he handles the outside pressure that comes with the territory. I give it a tie. It will be great to watch this young man on the course, as history unfolds.

Woods just surpassed 1.4B, right?

I don't see Spieth doing that but if he does, he better thank Tiger for making it possible. Tiger basically paved the way for these young guys if I understand it all correctly.

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon who transcended golf. Spieth will do extremely well but he won't have the appeal that advertisers counted on with Tiger.

Well, his career is just basically starting and he's the golden boy. This is the type of guy companies LOVE to have. Tiger paved the way for sure. I'd be curious if there is a breakdown of per-year income from Tiger that we could compare vs Jordan at this time in his career/life?

No. Tiger was a cultural phenomenon who transcended golf. Spieth will do extremely well but he won't have the appeal that advertisers counted on with Tiger.
That's what I thought about as well. So for me personally right now, I don't think Spieth will.

Its a tough question and one I wanted to pose to THPers. This is not about majors, wins, hookers or anything of the sort. Its about business. Spieth signs with Coke and along with AT&T, Rolex and a number of others is becoming the mainstream brand cover boy in the world of golf.

With his play, age and personality, do you believe he can surpass Woods in success off the course?

No, because I still don't see Spieth bringing in the casual fan like Tiger did, plus Spieth isn't far-and-away the best player in the game like Tiger was in his prime.

This is a tough one. I believe he will surpass Woods He definitely has the potential to. Clean imagine and great play has made him the a great choice right now. I don't see anything changing for him.

I believe I heard on Morning Drive the other day he is becoming one of the biggest brands in golf (or his marketability value, however you want to put it). He's basically a couple wins, probably a major, in the next year from being the most marketable.

After that, you just have to maintain, at least as far as value of marketability. How Tiger is still marketable, I'll never know. But numbers don't lie, and he still sell.

But to answer the question, ask me again in 1 year, but all signs are pointing to yes, he will be the most marketable person in golf, and he will reap big rewards for it.

~Rock

This. I think he'll be very successful, but Tiger was a once in a generation talent. Spieth is off to a hot start and while there are some similarities I think Woods was way more dominant.

Nope. Don't see anyone, including Spieth, having the prolonged years of excellence that Tiger put together. Excellence = $$$$$, Excellence for 15 years = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This. I think he'll be very successful, but Tiger was a once in a generation talent. Spieth is off to a hot start and while there are some similarities I think Woods was way more dominant.

Let's be honest, he was talented and he was an African American in a white mans game. He didn't appeal to one demographic he appealed to many.

He can but will UA put into him what Nike put into Tiger. Tiger has made a lot because of his brand with Nike. People bought Nike golf because of Tiger will people do the same with UA because of Speith. Because of Tiger there is more money in golf now so Speith has that in his favor.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

No, I think there is two much talent on the tour for someone to dominate the way Tiger did. Spieth will make a lot of money but I don't think he'll match or surpass Tiger.

Jordan Speith is a good (potentially great) player who will have a very productive and successful career. Tiger was/is also a great player of the game but unlike Spieth he had/has a special "aura" about him. Tiger managed to motivate and create interest in many people to the game of golf who may have not had any previous interest in the game of golf or even held a golf club in there hands.
Tiger is a marketing dream come true, Speith....we will see.

No, because I still don't see Spieth bringing in the casual fan like Tiger did, plus Spieth isn't far-and-away the best player in the game like Tiger was in his prime.

First I agree with you, but I dont think he is far off. There a few people in my office who would be hard pressed to tell you the difference between a putter and a rake and even they have brought up Jordan Spieth to me, so I think if he stays on the current track and something remarkable again the majors the outlook is pretty good. But I dont know if he has that Tiger mode in him to dominate in a way that draws in people to actually watch who ordinarily wouldnt like Tiger did and still does to a certain extent.

He won't even come close to what Tiger did off the course. I think he will have plenty of sponsorships but he won't move the needles like Tiger and therefore won't get the same size of contracts.

Back