The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Martial Arts thread

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My wife got my a BJJ gi and a lesson punch card for the school/gym/dojo my son goes to, so after years of relying mostly on the Army Combatives Program, I'm branching out to real BJJ. I'm currently one of Fort Huachuca's Army Combatives Program Master Trainers, and I grew up doing Karate, reaching 2nd degree black belt in Okinawan Isshinryu Karate. Still, ground fighting is not something I'm well versed in, so I'm looking forward to getting my ass kicked and my name taken!

Anyone else using the humbling and fascinating world of traditional martial arts, mixed martial arts, wrestling, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu to round out their golf game or for overall fitness?

The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/Martial Arts thread

That's great! I was a 3 time district qualifier in High school (though that's been quite some time now) and have thought many times I'd like to try Jiu-Jitsu, but I travel so much for work it would be hard to train at 1 gym. And it's hard to find some place to wrestle without looking weird...

It's funny though I was just talking to my buddy that's a combatives trainer out of Ft Hood, and it really gave me that burn to get back on the mats and roll around. He told me that guys with a wrestling background tend to transition to jiu jitsu easier.

Well I hope you have fun, and I'll definitely be checking this thread for updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have never tried any of them but my mate is a black belt in Jiu-Jitsu. He also teaches sometimes.

I don't, but we have a ton of guys, including the owner, from a local BJJ gym who train at our gym. My trainer has been training MMA guys for a while, so he took it up to better understand that aspect of their training, and when I talked to him about it, he said it's been an eye opening and humbling experience.

Looking forward to following along.

I am not but BJJ has been a ponder for awhile. It may be something I add this year now that schedule is more open for me

I boxed when I was a teenager, and have always thought about BJJ. Trying to convince all my kids that this is something they should look into. Combining self defense, discipline & fitness = win as far as I'm concerned. My youngest son is getting ready to start. I'd really like to do it myself, but I don't know if my body would be up to that now...

I've done a little rolling as a part of Krav Maga, but like you I have very little experience in ground fighting - it's pretty fun though!

My martial arts background is in American kenpo (got to brown in HS) and taekwondo. Got my 1st dan in WTF taekwondo back in 2013 in SLC, and have done on and off training since then, but due to time constraints and cost haven't made much headway towards 2nd dan. Plus the school here is very, shall we say, "soft" in my opinion? Very little sparring focus, and when we did, you had to go super light contact. That's not self defense.

Anyways, have enjoyed my time in martial arts over the years and is definitely helped me have the drive to maintain my physical fitness. Might get back into it in time, but I'd need to finds a school that fits me as well as the one in SLC did.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I boxed when I was a teenager, and have always thought about BJJ. Trying to convince all my kids that this is something they should look into. Combining self defense, discipline & fitness = win as far as I'm concerned. My youngest son is getting ready to start. I'd really like to do it myself, but I don't know if my body would be up to that now...
The upside of BJJ is that it's pretty low impact. Plus, it places such a great emphasis on mobility rather than strength. The only issues I get is some tendinitis in my hands and elbows, and the occasional mat burn.

So this morning I decided to take a break from regular PT for my platoon and do some Combatives drills, practicing penetration step/double leg takedown practice, sprawling, some basic striking combinations, along with hip escape from the mount (shrimping), and going over basic Combatives program positions. Tuesday I'll start teaching them some drills for rolling for position.

It's kinda funny that from the Army's perspective I've got a lot of experience training and teaching the combatives program, but I'm also a BJJ white belt with giant blind spots in terms of number of different passes, different types of guard, and a bunch of other things. While the two systems overlap, BJJ just has so much more depth to it.

So this morning I decided to take a break from regular PT for my platoon and do some Combatives drills, practicing penetration step/double leg takedown practice, sprawling, some basic striking combinations, along with hip escape from the mount (shrimping), and going over basic Combatives program positions. Tuesday I'll start teaching them some drills for rolling for position.

It's kinda funny that from the Army's perspective I've got a lot of experience training and teaching the combatives program, but I'm also a BJJ white belt with giant blind spots in terms of number of different passes, different types of guard, and a bunch of other things. While the two systems overlap, BJJ just has so much more depth to it.
The biggest difference will be going from combatives to sport BJJ. Points as opposed to damage. Much like anything else, keep in mind that slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I have a yellow belt on judo and jui-jitsu from when I was a kid. When I was stationed in Germany, I dabbled a little in MMA learning some muay thai kickboxing and basic grappeling. Nothing major, lasted about 3 months before I had to move.

I have a yellow belt on judo and jui-jitsu from when I was a kid. When I was stationed in Germany, I dabbled a little in MMA learning some muay thai kickboxing and basic grappeling. Nothing major, lasted about 3 months before I had to move.
Where were you in Germany? I've managed to put in two tours in the Wiesbaden/Mainz area. Would set my hair on fire to go back.

Open mat day. Got to roll with one of the assistant instructors at the school. Super dangerous guard, has really effortless positioning. Reminds me how much I have to learn. One thing I've noticed about working with more skilled guys is that it's harder to figure out what I did wrong. I mean, when I roll with fellow white belts or blue belts I can say I went for this pass or that escape and left my arm here or didn't secure this grip, leading to inevitable demise. With purple and brown belts, I think they just decide to end it and do so. It's tougher to learn from, but still very illuminating. Borders on wizardry.

Open mat day. Got to roll with one of the assistant instructors at the school. Super dangerous guard, has really effortless positioning. Reminds me how much I have to learn. One thing I've noticed about working with more skilled guys is that it's harder to figure out what I did wrong. I mean, when I roll with fellow white belts or blue belts I can say I went for this pass or that escape and left my arm here or didn't secure this grip, leading to inevitable demise. With purple and brown belts, I think they just decide to end it and do so. It's tougher to learn from, but still very illuminating. Borders on wizardry.
Ask. What did you see that I didn't? Show me how to avoid it. Show me how to watch when someone else does it. How do I capitalize on it when they do?

I did, but in a some cases it was one of those unknown unknowns. I wasn't even aware enough of where I put my knee when I tried to avoid ending up in full guard that left me open for a sweep, and that avoiding the sweep caused me to give up my back. There's no real replacement for experience and perception to develop the attention to detail, and so far I don't have it. So when we dissected the roll, it was something that was nearly too small for me to pick up. He did point out that most people would have just let me work half guard from the top because going for the sweep and not getting it from that position usually results in getting passed, which is what I was going for, and walked into a back take.

I mean, it's OK by me, and it is nice to get some kudos for the things I'm doing right. When I can force a purple belt to dig deep into his bag of tricks, I feel pretty good about where I sit.

My master received his black belt from Royce Gracie a few weeks ago in Miami! Only the second person to receive a Royce Gracie black belt in Canada.

My son had his first BJJ tournament today up in Tucson. Did a great job. Had a load of fun. Coaches all lost their voice, as well as me.

He came in third, two wins by submission and lots his third match on points. Good enough to win third place. Super-proud of him, and Chute Boxe Academy cleaned up through the kids' divisions.

IMG_20160611_103634.jpg

Last edited:
I loved my 6months doing BJJ. After ACL surgery less than a year ago I want to go back but I don't know when is safe

Signed up for my first bjj tournament yesterday. I've got a few weeks to round out my meager skills before I head to Phoenix and give it a go.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My wife got my a BJJ gi and a lesson punch card for the school/gym/dojo my son goes to, so after years of relying mostly on the Army Combatives Program, I'm branching out to real BJJ. I'm currently one of Fort Huachuca's Army Combatives Program Master Trainers, and I grew up doing Karate, reaching 2nd degree black belt in Okinawan Isshinryu Karate. Still, ground fighting is not something I'm well versed in, so I'm looking forward to getting my ass kicked and my name taken!

Anyone else using the humbling and fascinating world of traditional martial arts, mixed martial arts, wrestling, or Brazilian jiu-jitsu to round out their golf game or for overall fitness?

Yes martial arts is my main focus in life and I've been doing it for most of my life unlike golf which Im just starting. I do train in BJJ although that is not my primary style. Had a class today as a matter of fact. Its hard work but its fun. Keep up the good work. :act-up:

My master received his black belt from Royce Gracie a few weeks ago in Miami! Only the second person to receive a Royce Gracie black belt in Canada.

Wow that is awesome. Royce Gracie is amazing. Although, I thought he taught in Torrance, CA not Miami.

Wow that is awesome. Royce Gracie is amazing. Although, I thought he taught in Torrance, CA not Miami.

Royce goes at least once a year to the Valente brothers academy in Miami for belt ceremony.

6 year old just started up. Excited to see where this goes.

d525654d08dd6fc559ffe4fd171b975b.jpg

Royce goes at least once a year to the Valente brothers academy in Miami for belt ceremony.

Cool. I know there's a Black House academy in Miami that teaches BJJ but I've never been there. I did have a seminar with Royler, one of Royce's brothers not long ago, he is awesome. One of the few people to wear the coral belt.

6 year old just started up. Excited to see where this goes.

d525654d08dd6fc559ffe4fd171b975b.jpg

So the 6 year old must be the one on the left. The one on the right has obviously been doing it for some time since she's got 4 stripes on her belt.

Back