Panda Tip: Half wedge shots featuring Mward

I can kinda help with that: if the lie sucks, you need to make adjustments for sure. Downhill lie, you need to really focus on staying down on the shot or you'll thin it. It's going to come out lower so play for it. Uphill, exact opposite. It's going to come out higher, and you need to adjust your body so you don't stick it right into the ground and hit it heavy.
Thanks. I had so many downhill lies last weekend and really didn't execute one of these shots well at all. Something I need to really work on.

I appreciate the response thanks again and great thread here.

I practiced this quite a bit tonight and didn't realize just how bad I was at keeping the back swing and follow though the same length. Something I will be working on going forward for sure.

Great tips Freddie. Definitely going to incorporate this into my wedge game practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great tip Panda. This is something I have been working on recently with wedges and have seen some success but need more time with it and will now be adding the irons into practice. The one thing I keep forgetting is the open stance

Nice move Wardy. Big take away for me was to remember to keep the hips firing through the shot. Many times, weight forward, take away and follow through are not the problem for me, it's remembering to keep the hips moving through the shot. Getting to armsy or wristy is no Bueno for sure.

Thanks for the video too Freddie. I think these will be tremendously helpful going forward if that is the direction that you go.

JM

THANKS Panda! My instructor does a class on this with his short game lessons. He calls it "distance wedges". One of my absolute favorites. When I have it dialed in the results have been really really good inside 110 yards. It's something I've started working on again recently and spend a good bit of my range time working on shots from 125 yards and in. Can't wait to follow along and learn more tips and tricks.

Half wedge/knock down wedges are some of my favorite shots. Great tip Freddie! Glad I've got that guy on my Gauntlet team!

great job guys.....interestingly enough this is one of the shots I have been working on alot lately.....the other I am trying to learn is the "low checking pitch"......the one the tour guys play where the ball comes in hot...takes one hop and just slams on the brakes.

Having this shot is only part of the equation. Knowing when to use it is the other part.

Thanks for the great thread Freddie & Mward! So...when wouldn't you use this shot?

Man, this was exactly what I was thinking of in your other thread! This is awesome!

Freddie - this is great.

This is actually a shot that Mike worked with me on a bit when we were in Myrtle last year - I was in the middle of being an absolute mess on these half wedges. Helped me a ton with alignment and setup. It's still a bit of a battle, but getting better - this helps even more.

Great Stuff Freddie, I really like how you take an THPer's clip and make it an example for us to follow, you go in great details and its easy to read. I will practice that shot tonight.

just one thing I read frequently but I am not sure what it means exactly, could you elaborate on what is coming out of his swing?

If he were to come out of his swing or lose spine angle, the result would not have been as favorable.

Great Stuff Freddie, I really like how you take an THPer's clip and make it an example for us to follow, you go in great details and its easy to read. I will practice that shot tonight.

just one thing I read frequently but I am not sure what it means exactly, could you elaborate on what is coming out of his swing?
That means he has lost his spine angle or stood taller. This changes the swing path. Typically a push or slice results.

Thanks for the great thread Freddie & Mward! So...when wouldn't you use this shot?
Every player will have strengths and weaknesses. And that will dictatewhen shots are played. If I was giving a playing lesson I would suggest this not be used if there is a tucked pin. Raised greens would be another occasion I'd choose a differnt shot.

Every player will have strengths and weaknesses. And that will dictatewhen shots are played. If I was giving a playing lesson I would suggest this not be used if there is a tucked pin. Raised greens would be another occasion I'd choose a differnt shot.
because you would want to bring the ball in higher with more spin in those situations?

Awesome thread!!!

because you would want to bring the ball in higher with more spin in those situations?

Awesome thread!!!
Yes or take your meds and go long. Two putt par beats failed up and down on a short sided flag any day in my book.

Awesome thread!!!

It'd be risky to throw a low, driving shot on elevated greens or when there's not a lot of room between trouble and the pin. The margin for error is a little higher. The shot works really well for center of green or center back pin where you have some room to let it hop and skip before it puts on the brakes.

Great stuff! You guys rock. Thanks.

Short game I get it. I kid of course. Man, Ward make that shot look easy. Smooth and confident swing. Thanks for posting, Freddie.

This shot has been killing me lately. Thank you very much. Practice incoming

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

I was out working in this shot tonight. I'm having trouble with keeping my follow through down to the same length as my take away. Too much lower body?

This felt incredibly natural in the back yard. I can't wait to get on the range to try it. I feel as if I'm really engaging my arms to stop the follow through... Is that normal?

Yes, the back swing will match the follow through
This felt incredibly natural in the back yard. I can't wait to get on the range to try it. I feel as if I'm really engaging my arms to stop the follow through... Is that normal?

Keep the lower body quiet and allow the arms to work the swing. Its like a punch shot
I was out working in this shot tonight. I'm having trouble with keeping my follow through down to the same length as my take away. Too much lower body?

Back