Golf Channel HD -December 8th

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Golf Channel HD, as its own separate channel (as opposed to a shared channel with the Versus channel), launches on December 8th:

comcast_friday_1x1z_111708.jpg

Although, there are rumors on the A/V forums that DirecTV will go live with the split channels tomorrow, December 3rd.

Sweet... but I doubt my cable network will get it. I'm still waiting on ESPN News HD

good to hear, hopefully their own HD feed will be better than what was available on Versus. I found Versus HD programing to be phenomenal but when GC tapped the channel the quality went down very quickly.

good for GC though!

And just in time for the winter sellavision season!

good to hear, hopefully their own HD feed will be better than what was available on Versus. I found Versus HD programing to be phenomenal but when GC tapped the channel the quality went down very quickly.

I think a lot of that poor quality is the fact that they are shooting some events in digital and upconverting it to HD, which looks okay but no where near as good as true HD, so until they start shooting everything HD it will be more of the same.

My cable provider just added golf channel HD about a month ago, so I dont think we will get it full time. Time Warner is a joke.

Funny, I just checked and Time Warner did the switch today. So does this mean on the 8th, everything will be shot in HD.

Funny, I just checked and Time Warner did the switch today. So does this mean on the 8th, everything will be shot in HD.

So what channel is it going to be?

Time Warner Kansas City still has Vesus and Golf Channel on the same HD channel. So hopefully soon for us.

Probably not, I remember watching a smaller stop on the Nationwide Tour on GCHD this year and you could see that some of the guys on the ground had small little DV cameras filming and the quality after the upconvert was barely better the SD, lots of pixels showing. But soon enough it should be all shot in HD, however several of the shows on GC are still broadcast in SD(Big Break, Sprint Post Game, ect...).

Just because the channel is in the HD Tier, doesn't mean the program being shown is in HD.

Probably not, I remember watching a smaller stop on the Nationwide Tour on GCHD this year and you could see that some of the guys on the ground had small little DV cameras filming and the quality after the upconvert was barely better the SD, lots of pixels showing. But soon enough it should be all shot in HD, however several of the shows on GC are still broadcast in SD(Big Break, Sprint Post Game, ect...).

Im going to keep my fingers crossed and hope that they are launching a full HD line up, with exception to replays of old broadcasts of course. Now I just hope they get me Speed HD before supercross starts.

Just because the channel is in the HD Tier, doesn't mean the program being shown is in HD.

Yep, but at least it looks a little better when they up convert it to 16x9.

DirecTV has made the switch too. The Vs/TGC channel has gone black and now there is a dedicated TGC HD channel.

Ah well, just another place to not see Q-school.

Not the girls. But why would someone want to watch golf on the golf channel? It's like the Superbowl - we girls all watch for the commercials. :roll:

Not the girls. But why would someone want to watch golf on the golf channel? It's like the Superbowl - we girls all watch for the commercials. :roll:

Oh, absolutely. I particularly like the raw meat golfballs and the guy throwing footballs through a tire swing. They're so subtle!

I wish they would go back to showing more Golf Channel Academy shows like they did in the beginning. Seems like the infomercials took their place.

I taped everything Dean Reinmuth did for several months. Problem is, the tapes disappeared! (I was going to burn them to DVD).

It definitely looks better because some of the shows that never made it on to the shared channel (because of conflicting content on Versus) are/were apparently shot in HD.

But yeah, TGC (as well as the networks) need to start switching to all HD cameras.

It definitely looks better because some of the shows that never made it on to the shared channel (because of conflicting content on Versus) are/were apparently shot in HD.

Do you mean Bloodsport? I think they showed that movie at least five times a day on that channel.

Do you mean Bloodsport? I think they showed that movie at least five times a day on that channel.

Actually, I was thinking of the third daily showing of the bull riding wrap-up show, which is somehow more important than live golf. But yes, Bloodsport also.

Back