Bridgestone JGR Irons Preview

I have this set at the house and they are a lot of fun to play. Launch high, super forgiving and have a very soft feel/muted sound.

Demo Day PIcs

i-dDwC4rd-XL.jpg

i-BDtdgv8-XL.jpg

i-GPS7473-XL.jpg

i-NPmPKbw-XL.jpg

The more I think about these, the more I want to put them in the bag.

That is a big ugly 5i. But you know what, who cares? 5i is where things can get challenging for me so bring on the technological help. Also, this isn't really any different than looking down at the hybrids I use instead of 3 and 4 irons.

it looks a lot like the altitudes to me, only a little bit less ugly

Looks........ugly. Even if the performance is there, it would be hard for me to swallow and put it in my bag. But I am sure there are plenty of players that don't mind. I am sure it is long and straight...

These are meh to me. I'm sure they will work for a large segment, but I can't get past the look

I'm kind of liking these, as far as a SGI club goes, they don't look cheap and like they're made of plastic. Probably the best looking SGI club I've seen and I think it will be easier for people to game these than a lot of other SGI sets. I just hope since Bridgestone is making more clubs for the masses that they will start becoming more readily available. Outside of their test drive program, they can be hard to get a hold of.

For the money, it's hard to argue that Bridgestone doesn't have some of the best value out there as far as their cubs go. I can't say I would game these, but with some time, maybe these give the Ping G series a run for their money, which is a club that is played by all kinds of handicaps. I like that BS is offering something for everyone. Even though I am not a lefty, I do agree with you backwards people... you should get some options, too. I am anxiously awaiting the JGR driver as well.

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the comments...it sounds like a lot of you are intrigued by our new irons. This is by far the most forgiving forged iron on the market. A lot of you have commented on the lofts, which are stronger than a lot of other irons. Because of the sole design, we we needed to strengthen the lofts to keep the ball from ballooning. You can expect normal trajectories from these irons (meaning the 7 iron will still have a typical 7 iron trajectory) but because the lofts are stronger they are very looooonnnggg!

With the small upcharge for the optional Recoil shafts, this is an outstanding value. We use the aftermarket Recoil shafts...not a "made-for" version, so it's the real deal!

I really do like the looks of these and I am adding them to the list of irons that I eagerly want to try.

I think the design was influenced by the PRGR Super Egg irons.

ImgAng4L.jpg
ImgAng2L.jpg

I looked at the JGR specs and my head began to hurt. I then came to accept ( as suggested by an earlier poster ) that these clubs can not be looked at as if they were game improvement irons. Nay, what we are witnessing is the culmination of years of strengthening lofts and lengthening shaft lengths. The JGR is truly a new creature. When the 2017 GD Hot List is released, it would not surprise me if there were 4 categories of "irons", to-wit: Players, GI, SGI and HI. How else can anyone accept that a 5 iron is built with a shaft length of 39 inches and that one's scoring clubs have 6 degree gaps. The JGR, like Wilson's C-200 and Cobra's F6 irons, are redefining equipment standards. I have been fitted for many sets of irons over the years. At 5' 10", my best consistency has come from sets with 5 irons no longer than 37.75 inches. As a concession to age, I have been opting for graphite shafts +.25 inches. This means that the longest iron in my bag ( a 38 inch 5 iron ) is now a full inch shorter than JGR's new norm of 39 inches. Amazing!

Bridgestone JGR Irons Preview

Looks like one of my wife's Callaway Gems....but I still will hit them when they come out.

Last edited:
Oh my .

Those are hideous.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They aren't sexy but I have zero doubt they work for the intended group of players they are designed for and are very playable for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd hit them. Different look or not, I'd hit them.

Not for me, but I bet they will make a certain segment of those that need that type of sole very happy.

Funky looking, and really out there loft combinations. PW1 and PW2? kind of reminds me of the smart sole look.

Last edited:
They aren't sexy but I have zero doubt they work for the intended group of players they are designed for and are very playable for everyone.

This was my thought. But is there really a big enough market for a line like these?

And they sure are ugly, which blows my mind after how incredible their J15 MB's and CB's looked.

This was my thought. But is there really a big enough market for a line like these?

I believe their is I see lots of people who just don't elevate the ball and these should do that no problemo.

Getting them in the hands of people and them seeing the difference will be key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Bridgestone is expanding on their iron lineup and appear to now truly have something for everyone. These though? I just don't know....

Hey Guys,

I appreciate the comments...it sounds like a lot of you are intrigued by our new irons. This is by far the most forgiving forged iron on the market. A lot of you have commented on the lofts, which are stronger than a lot of other irons. Because of the sole design, we we needed to strengthen the lofts to keep the ball from ballooning. You can expect normal trajectories from these irons (meaning the 7 iron will still have a typical 7 iron trajectory) but because the lofts are stronger they are very looooonnnggg!

With the small upcharge for the optional Recoil shafts, this is an outstanding value. We use the aftermarket Recoil shafts...not a "made-for" version, so it's the real deal!
The reasoning behind the lofts, from the source.

the JGR irons are not be the style of iron that I would normally play. However, I really like the fact that Bridgestone is really trying to expand their customer base by releasing these irons. Besides, these actually look like they would be fun to hit.

The reasoning behind the lofts, from the source.

the JGR irons are not be the style of iron that I would normally play. However, I really like the fact that Bridgestone is really trying to expand their customer base by releasing these irons. Besides, these actually look like they would be fun to hit.

They really are fun to hit. Yes, they are a radical departure from the irons that we traditionally offer, but they are supposed to be. We have 4 pretty traditional looking forged irons and we have a cast game improvement model already, but we wanted to offer something to the mid to high handicappers that is truly different. We're known for our forged irons, so we set out to design a forged club for players who are around an 18 handicap and up that would be playable and feel good. I think we knocked it out of the park to be honest. These have an extremely low and deep CoG, so the ball launches high and easy, and they are really long. They feel great and for those who are on the fence about the looks, believe me, after you hit them and see how forgiving they are, you will think they are beautiful!

jgr%20iron_zpsjwburwee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Not for me, but I bet they will make a certain segment of those that need that type of sole very happy.

Yep, and this old man may be right square in that certain segment. I will hit these somewhere this spring. They have me intrigued.

Back