Playing different tees than your playing partners

Carey

Reaction score
Handicap
12ish
I play with my dad and a few other guys who don't hit the ball anywhere close to as far as I do but I always play the same tees that they do because I just thought it was the polite thing to do.

Is it rude to play different tees than your playing partners?

No, it's not.

I actually suggest it to the longer guys I play with. I've got no interest in playing back and I know that it changes the round for them to play forward.

I play with my dad and a few other guys who don't hit the ball anywhere close to as far as I do but I always play the same tees that they do because I just thought it was the polite thing to do.

Is it rude to play different tees than your playing partners?

Absolutely not. The various tees are there for a reason, may as well use them.

Not at all. If I'm playing with folks and uncomfortable playing as far back as they want to, I've no problem teeing it forward.

Sometimes I will play a shorter tee than normal though if I think it will make my playing partners more comfortable, or just to get some more practice with shorter clubs.

Not at all. No one else in my family is anywhere close to as long as I am, so I don't expect us to be on the same tees.

I play with multiple groups that play from multiple tees. No one thinks twice about it. Makes the game fun, instead of brutal

I don't think so, I play with a older co-worker and he always plays one tee up from me. I'm longer off the tee so it evens things out a little.

Not one bit, if anyone I play with has a problem with it that will more than likely be the last time we play

I have friends that play the back tees and friends that play the white tees. But blues are about as far up as I'll go even if the guys want to play whites. I try and play the tees around 6,400 to 6,700 yards but don't like to go below 6,400. I use to feel weird about playing a different set of tees than my group on those days but don't anymore.

I usually just play whatever tees the majority of the group wants to play. If they were wanting to play the very front tees though, I'd play the tees that I wanted to play, but most of the time they either play the tees I usually play or the ones just in front, which is fine with me.

I play with a lot of older guys and they always tee it forward. Every once in a while I will play from their tees just to change up my round, but would never ask them to tee it back with me as it would make their round less enjoyable.

it's not rude to play a different set of tees, but it can be a pita. if you're playing ready golf everywhere else, it doesn't affect the pace of play too much. but when the group is slow - even just marginally - in other areas of each hole, it can be an issue. personally, i just play what everyone else is playing, even if that's the back. it becomes a whole lot of not fun for me, but i don't like the thought of inconveniencing anyone. granted, those extra 20+ strokes i'll add to my round by playing the back will probably still inconvenience them!

I think for everyone it's best that the members of a 4-some play from the tees that are best for them. That way everyone enjoys the round and the pace of play should be helped as well.

Not at all. People should play tees where they are comfortable with and if I know someone is longer or shorter than me I will let them know they can play whatever tees they want.

played a practice round at Pitt with someone who played the tips while the rest of us played up two tee boxes.

Never posed a problem for me. I'm ok on everything but the tips, and I'll play those once or twice a year when the driver's cooperating, so I usually just play wherever the rest are.
That said, last week 2 of us played whites, and one other the blues. Didn't pose an issue, with our course setup. No difference from a mixed round with ladies/seniors playing front tees and a couple further back.

Might be iffy if you play for money, but even there I've seen it with skins games broken up by handicap.

I play a large number of my rounds every year with my wife, so I do this all the time. No problem playing from different tees than other folks - especially if they're insisting on paying from the tips or something.

Nope not at all. I just played 2 rounds last week where I played the blacks and the guys I played with used the whites. I wanted to play 6700 instead of 5900.

I play with a lot of older guys and they always tee it forward. Every once in a while I will play from their tees just to change up my round, but would never ask them to tee it back with me as it would make their round less enjoyable.

Exactly! I have decided that I am never playing farther back than 6000 yards again, there is a reason senior's must move up and I am a prime example. I never have had a problem with anyone else playing a different tee and now I am not going to concern myself with people frowning on my playing up.

it's not rude to play a different set of tees, but it can be a pita. if you're playing ready golf everywhere else, it doesn't affect the pace of play too much. but when the group is slow - even just marginally - in other areas of each hole, it can be an issue. personally, i just play what everyone else is playing, even if that's the back. it becomes a whole lot of not fun for me, but i don't like the thought of inconveniencing anyone. granted, those extra 20+ strokes i'll add to my round by playing the back will probably still inconvenience them!

Do you not think playing 20 strokes better would be appreciated and really not seen as a inconvenience?

Do you not think playing 20 strokes better would be appreciated and really not seen as a inconvenience?

that was the point of the last sentence. I make the decision to play from whatever tees the group wants out of an abundance of caution to not inconvenience anybody, but the net result is that I probably play slower because I score so much higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see no problem with playing a different set, as long as you use some common sense and play ready golf.

I kid you not I played behind a group playing from, 3 different tees, yet still worrying about who had honors.

I play whatever the other person in my cart is playing for simplicity's sake. 95% of the time it is either my brother-in-law (who plays the same tees as me) or nobody, so I rarely play anything other than what I would normally do.

I typically have the need to address the opposite scenario. I have reached the age for those tees usually labelled "Senior". Most times, I find that I shoot 5 to 6 strokes better from those tees. Additionally, I find that most often the handicap difference based on my index is only 2 to 3 strokes. Needless to say, I enjoy the "senior" tees. Many of the guys with whom I play are younger, like to play from the regular tees and hit the ball significantly further than I. However, I do not enjoy being the only one using a set of tees, so I play the regulars with them. Likewise, I post the scores from those tees when I play them. The young bucks don't question my posting those scores, but many of my fellow seniors suggest that I am cheating on my handicap. My position is the handicap system should take care of that, its not my fault that it doesn't recognize the specific circumstances (lack of distance) of my game.

I play up if it helps pace of play but I club down accordingly. Moving up I think is fine...moving back however would not benefit anyone.

I play with a bunch of old guys every week and even then there's two different sets of tees used. It makes good sense to play the proper tees for your individual game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back