UST Mamiya & THP Shaft Spectacular - March 2016

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last month we kicked off this amazing monthly drawing and this continues for the March THP & UST Shaft Spectacular. Each month two lucky THPers get the tour treatment as 2016 continues to #ChangeTheGame. February's Event is already full and we are on to March. We know that Nate and Shanewu will be updating their experience live as it happens and it is FULL OF SURPRISES.

When & Where
March 18th & 19th
They will be happening every month through July
UST HQ in DFW, TX

Cost & What's Included
There is no cost at all to you, outside of your traveling expenses (airfare, hotel, etc). Your days there are on THP & UST and that is complete with all of the below.
Tour the UST Facility
Test Product on Launch Monitor
Get fit for new product
Equipment involved
Round of Golf
And much much more

Itinerary
Friday - 3-18
Tour UST Mamiya
Equipment & Shaft Talk & Education
Lunch
Fitting
Dinner

Saturday - 3-19
Golf

How To Get Involved
Getting to be a part of this special program will be by sign up each month in the respective threads. Your 2016 Albatross Club membership is your key to unlock this and many other programs on THP. If you are not a member, and want information on how to join and help support the Humane Society shelters and animals in need, click here.

It Said Equipment What Does That Mean
It changes every month and the program will be different every month. One month it might be all about the driver, the next month it could be irons and so on. It will be a surprise when you walk through the door and are greeted by THP & UST and you never know what will be included. The only thing we can say on this is, prepare to be surprised and no two months will ever be the same in their entirety.

Signing Up
Signups are closed for this one. Stay tuned for the next update for the April THP & UST Shaft Spectacular

Last edited:
Another chance at a pretty special event

Boom, second opportunity is here!!!

Sadly, it kills me that I can't enter this one as I have training for work Wednesday-Friday of this week that I've already rescheduled like 3 times.

Excited to see who gets chosen for this one as we watch it evolve from the first one here in a few weeks!!

Funny; I was researching the heck out of their offerings, old and new, just yesterday.

This will be a very popular thread today and the experience of this one will be game changing for two lucky folks .

Currently I have Nippon Tour Modus 130s in my irons.

The only reason I have these shafts is because another THPer gave me a great deal on the irons they came in (Thanks LB44!). I got them with the intention to switch the shafts out with something lighter. I also want something that launches on the lower end of the spectrum & is much easier on the joints, so graphite has been heavily on my mind. Steelfiber i95s or i110s are the front runners right now.

Pick me! Pick me! Pick me! :blob:

driver
- Diamana 'Ahina S 72g - play it because when I hit with it on the monitor at golf galaxy... it performed better than my old driver/shaft combo lol.
fairway wood - I play two of the 3 snake eyes woods that were thrown in with my old set of 690.MBs - I play the shafts that were in them, faded logo (though admittedly I never looked that close)
hybrid - I took it out of the bag, but I do have a 910 H with a Diamana 'Ahina S 91g in it. I bought this because it matched my driver lol
irons - KBS C Taper X. I was fit into these in DFW at the Jim Mclean center and this shaft performed very well for me despite the fact that I usually hit a low ball and this shaft is designed to lower it further... Idk the answer, but I do know it hit them well during the fitting.
wedges - play the stock shafts in the Clevelands 54* and 60*. Never questioned the stock wedge shaft. planning on dropping a wood and changing to a 52*, 56*, and 60* makeup this season.
putter - stock shaft. While I've never gamed a fitted putter shaft I do know that UST makes them and I'm intrigued by that.

so freaking cool! march and april are out for me, but you can bet your breeches i'll be signing up for may, june and july!

Another great chance with an awesome OEM. I can't enter this one because of Spring Break, but I will be following along! Good luck to those that enter!

I play a few different shafts, some stock some not.

Driver - Stock stiff shaft in Aeroburner
Mini 1.5 - Kuro Kage stiff
H45 hobo - Kuro Kage stiff
Apex UT - Recoil 680 F4
Irons - Matrix Program
F15 95s
Wedges - Stock

All in the all the why usually boils down to options when I purchase a club, if it's possible to change the shaft, like in the Mini 1.5, then I might try and pick a shaft I have some familiarity with or know will work for me, with most it's usually stock. There is a couple I have that I wanted to make sure a certain shaft was in them when I got them, like the Apex UT, I've always wanted to try a Recoil, and the Irons, I missed my previous graphite shafts and wanted to play some again, so I went looking for a set with graphite. The driver is always an interesting choice, as with my current driver I can't swap shafts, but with most newer model drivers you can swap things out and I've tried a few different shafts in every head I could. It was nice having choices and allows you to tinker, which is always fun. All in all my shaft knowledge isn't near as high as it should be and I rely on the club companies to pair their club with the right shaft in the stock
offering. But I know after a trip to UST I'd be overflowing with shaft knowledge!!!

Nothings really changed for except my excitement level that has gone up LOL So here's what's still in the bag

Driver - TaylorMade Jetspeed 10.5° w/stock Matrix Velox T Stiff - I'm using this shaft because when I bought my driver during a buy one get a 3 Wood for free sale and I hit the stiff better than the other stock offerings. I would love to be fit into a driver shaft, but at the time I didn't have the budget to pass up the deal since I was in the market for a new driver & 3 Wood.

Woods - TalyorMade Jetspeed 3-Wood 15° w/stock Matrix Velox T Stiff - I'm using this shaft because when I bought my driver I got a 3 Woods for free and I hit the stiff better than the other stock offerings. I would love to be fit into a wood shaft, but at the time I didn't have the budget to pass up the deal since I was in the market for a new driver & 3 Wood.

Hybrid - Nike SQ Sumo 2-Hybird 18° w/stock Mitsubishi Rayon Sasquatch hDiamana Stiff - I'm using this shaft because I bought this hybrid when I first started golfing and it's stayed with me the entire time. When I bought it I didn't want to spend the money on fancy shafts, was just trying to learn the game, and I still love the flight I get off it. Although it does tend to get higher than I would like.

Irons - Callaway Apex 4-PW w/KBS Tour-V 110 Stiff - These I was actually fit into a big box store. No complaints, but I do think I didn't really have the ability to do as much fitting as I would have like. I guess you get what you pay for at the bix boxes though.

Wedges - Grind Golf 51° 59° w/I don't remember & Callaway MD3 Milled 56° S Grind w/TT Dynamic Gold Wedge - All these wedges are being played with what came in them because I never really thought much about experimenting with wedge shafts.

Another amazing opportunity. Two more lucky folks will be selected soon.

Ok, a second chance... great:

Driver: Fujikura SIX regular flex - I got great numbers when fit. Best of the ones tested unfortunately UST shafts were not available.
5 Wood: Matrix White Tie, Regular Flex, No fitting, don't hit a 3 wood high enough so I thought I would try a higher lofted wood, so far so good but could be better
3 & 4 Hybrid: Standard Matrix stock shafts, stiff flex, No fitting, off the shelf - they're OK but nothing special
5-lw: True Temper Project X95 shafts. 5.0 flex. Low ball hitter looking for control and a higher launch. These seem to work well.
Putter: unknown

I would give up my annual NCAA Tournament watching party for this....and that has even trumped my wife's birthday in the past....so, yeah, I would REALLY like to be selected for this!!! Thanks for the consideration.

Here is my submission information:

Driver (TM R15 TP) - Graffaloy NT65 Proto, xstiff
Just recently swapped to xstiff looking for more consistency off the tee. Results have been outstanding so far, but I'm always looking for more....

3-wood (Adams LP) - ProjectX, stiff
Rarely use this club, so my fairway wood play is my biggest opportunity for improvement.

Irons (TM Rocketbladez) - KBS Tour 90, stiff
No particular reason for the shaft selection here, irons came with these shafts when I purchased them new. Based on what I have seen with my driver, I am considering xstiff here too.

Wedges and putter have stock shafts, not even sure what they are...

Would love to take a deeper dive into the various shaft options that would benefit me!!

Another great opportunity and what will surely be a special event.

In my bag

Driver- UST Axivcore green in X

3wd & hybrid are UST Axivcore black in X

Irons- recoil 110F5

Wedges- stock shafts

Putter-stock shaft

I was fit into driver and iron shafts by my coach. I've been a spinner of the ball and it tends to get out of control at times and my current shafts have done a good job of controlling those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Oban Devotion 6. I like how it feels with my swing and the flight I get.

fwy: Aldila rogue silver 70s. It's what I was fit to and performed better for me than a couple other options

heavenwood and hybrid: kurokage. Felt stable in my testing and didn't feel a need to change. It gives me the performance I want from this club

Irons. Project x pxi 6.0. Was fit into this and the project x 6.0. Chose pxi to get a light shaft without the cost of graphite.

wedges: DG s300 in GW and sw. KBS tour v in LW. I wanted to keep stock shafts in my wedges and the DG are my normal wedge shaft.

Driver - Matrix Ozik 6x3 White Tie - like the way it looks and liked it after trying it for a few swings
3-wood - Stock Taylormade TP shaft (stock)
Hybrid - stock Cobra shaft (stock)
Driving Iron - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite (stock)
Irons- TT DG S300 (stock)
Wedges- TT DG (stock)

I am far from a shaft expert, so an education is always a good thing!

My irons have Recoil 680 F4s in them and I love them. I spent a solid hour reading up on the new offerings they have now and seeing if I can get even more greatness out of a different set of Recoils.

I tend to swap out between a VTS Red and a ProForce V2 in my driver. Thank god for quick-fit adapters.

The rest of my woods and hybrids are LZ shafts.

As good as what I have is currently, I'd love to see a seriously good fitting and proper shaft match-up.

Ready for my second chance to get in this event!

Driver - Speedrulz 50 Red Stiff I wanted to try a little lighter shaft than my Speeder 665

Fairway woods - Speeder 665 Stock shaft and seems to work well. Cut 1.25" to be more like a 2 hybrid

Hybrids - Stock Project X and seem to suit me fine. Like a slightly heavier shaft like these than is offered in some hybrids.

Irons - Just put in Recoil 95 Regulars. Love the shaft, and put them in after dealing with elbow issue.

Wedges - KBS Tour V125 stick that came with wedges. But want to transition to Recoil 125.

Putter - Stock Scotty shaft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling when Nate and Shane go and start a live thread, this goes to a whole new level.

I have a feeling when Nate and Shane go and start a live thread, this goes to a whole new level.

iPhone - check
External battery - check
Exciting content - double check

Live update threads are a blast, I have high expectations!

I want in this! I've had a few changes since last month...

Driver/3W/3H - Mitsubishi Diamana D+ White shafts in 70X/80X/100x respectively. I picked these after some trial and error with the Titleist fitting carts. I hit them outside before buying and on more than one occasion, but not on a monitor so it was hardly scientific. So far I've been very happy with them and have seen much better results than what I came from (UST Elements Chrome 60F4T/70F4 and no hybrid), BUT only because the weight/flex is better. Heavier/stiffer is better for me and I gain a ton of control without losing any necessary distance. I'd really love a chance to get on Trackman and have UST's vast array of shaft options available to really dial in what's best for me with numbers to back them up.

Irons/Wedges - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 Tour Issue. I picked these in the same manner as my woods/shafts. So far I've hit the ball the best I have since I started playing golf and my dispersion has cut in half from what I was gaming before (UST Recoil 125F4). But I'd love to see if I could do better with 125F5 shafts or of 125F4/F5 Prototype shafts.

Putter - stock shaft, but am open to trying UST's frequency filtered putter shafts.

Super cool event!! Love the stuff UST puts out!

Driver - Currently have a Mistubishi Diamana B-Series in my 816 DBD. I was fit into a B-Series before and always liked the results I've had with the shaft. It has a nice smooth feel throughout the swing and isn't too whippy for my tempo. It also gives me a nice medium ball flight and keeps my spin numbers right where I've been told they should be.

Fairway - I have an Aldila Rogue Silver in my 915F. I've never been fit into a fairway shaft, but the Rogue silver has done well for me. The ball flight is medium to low, and again gives me a nice feel throughout my swing. Since I've been using this shaft, my 3w play has been pretty solid.

Hyrbrid - I have the stock Diamana D+ in my 915H. When I hit the club at a store everything felt right about it. This is another club I've been fit for, so all of my hybrid is another club where I've just gone with what feels best and performs for me on the course. So far, this club/shaft combo hasn't let me down. It keeps the ball flight low, but isn't so stiff that I don't have any feel.

Irons - I've gone through a lot of shafts in my irons over the years. I'm currently gaming the Aerotech 110 Steel Fibers and have been very happy with what I've seen. I was fit into these shafts in my most recent fitting and of everything I hit they gave me the best results on the LM and on the course. Before gaming these I played the 110 Recoils for about a year. I loved the recoils but Steel Fibers just gave me better numbers. If I couldn't play the steel fibers for any reason I would definitely go right back to the recoils. They were the first graphite iron shaft I played and really changed my thinking on graphite iron shafts.

Wedges - My MD3 wedge shafts are KBS C-Tapers. I don't take a lot of full swings with my wedges and definitely try to keep the ball down with these clubs. The C-Taper has done exactly that and still gives me the stopping power I like to see from 90 yards in.

Putter - My putter shafts are just the stock Scotty Cameron steel shafts. I've never considered changing my putter shaft, but MichiganSlice tells me that tipping my putter shaft an inch and installing it backwards takes away 5 putts per round.

Back