How do you like to approach a round that means something?

ntanygd760

Reaction score
Handicap
Pretty straight forward question. How do you approach a round that means something that is important to you. Could be an outing, club championship, city tournament or a call out, that part doesn't matter but assume it is a singles event just to make it simple. Do you like to play multiple practice rounds if it is a course you don't know as well? Do you scout with google earth and have course notes on how far things are from the tee. Do you prefer to map a course in person or would you rather just show up and use a gps or rangefinder without figuring the stuff out in advance? Do you have all the shots in your head before hand and have a game plan with a self par you are aiming to get each hole, like 4.5 on easy 5's and 4.5's on hard 4's.
Does worrying about all that stuff not how you do it, instead show up and have a good time with friends?

As for me I tend to go a touch overboard with anything golf related including a few hours on google earth before I play a course.

Outside of the few courses I play on a regular Where I have competed in club championship I have only been in one other competition so far outside of that and played a practice round and took some basic notes on what club to hit off the tee.

i will look over the scorecard and do a tour of some sort on the web to see course layout and may make some notes but that's about it. For RR I will get a practice round or two in

I try to make it like any other round. If I do something special I think I would add pressure on myself inside which is not what I want do. I try to play like the cliche, one shot at a time no matter when or who I'm playing. Got to remember to have fun when it's all said and done which is the most important part!

I don't think I approach my play much differently than normal, but I do like to prepare to be completely focused on what I want to do. I want the mental side to be tight and ready too play.

I like to play at least one practice round. To get an overall feel of the course. I will make some notes for each hole. Club off the tee, slope of the green those type of things. I will laser bunkers or hazards of the tee. If they are going to be in play off the tee. If not holding anyone up I will spend extra time around the green chipping and hitting a few putts.

After the practice round using my notes I will make a plan of attack for each hole. The plan of attack is more a guide than anything not hard fast rules. Depending on how I am swinging it on tourney day and the situation. I may deviate from the original plan.

I try not to go overboard with the prep work. For me keeping as close to how I play everyday produces the best results.

I just play like it is an everyday round.

I hit a small bucket the day before to see where my swing is this week, then putt and chip for at least 30 minutes before the round.

i can't think of a time i've let myself get amped up before a round when it ended up going well. maybe my round at st andrews, but it started terribly. one of most amped up i've been was for my first thp event and i played atrociously. now i just try to treat every round the same. "try."

Just another round of golf, but I will spend some time on the putting green to get a feel for how the greens may be.

I tend to goof off on the golf course, so I need to get myself on tournament mode to play well. I've tried several things, some work and some don't. The ones that work for me are:
1. Practice round in the tournament course a few days before the event
2. A short range session a day before
3. Sticking to my routine and completing them
4. Getting myself psychologically pumped for the game
5. This is not the time for trying things out, like a new club or a new swing. I need to bring out the tried and tested stuff.

Otherwise, I'll just be knocking the ball around.

Last edited:
For about 3 years, I played in a lot of stroke-play tournaments. A couple days before the event, I did a quick review of the course with whatever info was available on their sites, as well as some distance reviews on Google Earth (more geared towards finding hazards and thinking through what clubs I wanted to hit off the tee, if possible). Other than that, for these types of rounds, I would normally show up to the course a little bit earlier, so I could take my time getting ready versus the usual rush I am in for casual rounds.

I like to get a practice round in the day before on the course. I'm usually prepared w increased short game practice, so I practice putting at the course and then get a feel for the course. Take some notes about lines off the tee, where trouble is, and see what the hazards are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Practice round on course if possible. Looking at pics does little for me. Have tried it before but walking the land before is much better for me. Short experience span, but will go with that.

Pretty straight forward question. How do you approach a round that means something that is important to you. Could be an outing, club championship, city tournament or a call out, that part doesn't matter but assume it is a singles event just to make it simple. Do you like to play multiple practice rounds if it is a course you don't know as well? Do you scout with google earth and have course notes on how far things are from the tee. Do you prefer to map a course in person or would you rather just show up and use a gps or rangefinder without figuring the stuff out in advance? Do you have all the shots in your head before hand and have a game plan with a self par you are aiming to get each hole, like 4.5 on easy 5's and 4.5's on hard 4's.
Does worrying about all that stuff not how you do it, instead show up and have a good time with friends?

As for me I tend to go a touch overboard with anything golf related including a few hours on google earth before I play a course.
I don't play any competitive golf anymore but I do play some good matches with a group of guys on Sunday mornings. I just play with what I am given for the day and have fun. That being said with the Panda's help over the winter and a revamping of my swing the competitive juices are flowing again and I am sure I will be playing the club championship this year ?

I'll play a practice round three days beforehand at the course. Any practice I do will focus on 125 yds and in, chipping, putting. No swing changes.

Also do some google earthing. I like to look at the scorecard then some measuring. Usually helps me mentally prepare for not hitting driver on every tee if im off a tad, and figure out where the miss is.
Also clean all clubs(like i do almost after every round), and edit and dial in everything in my golf bag.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I don't play any competitive golf anymore but I do play some good matches with a group of guys on Sunday mornings. I just play with what I am given for the day and have fun. That being said with the Panda's help over the winter and a revamping of my swing the competitive juices are flowing again and I am sure I will be playing the club championship this year 
Nice good luck

I don't do anything differently. Maybe get there early to hit a bucket and do some putting.

If it's at my course I pretty well know all I need to plus I have GPS watch for basic distances so no worries or stress I'll just go and have some fun and try to play it as best I can. If it's at a course I don't know well I'll just use my GPS again and pay attention to what my opponent is doing and try to replicate if he appears to have local knowledge.

For a course I don't know well I will look at it on Google Earth to get appropriate distances off tees. I prefer to play a practice round a couple days before and solidify some club selections. Then on the day of, I don't think about golf at all until I'm at the course. When the round starts I just try to keep as positive as possible and have fun with my playing partners. I play a heck of a lot better when I'm laughing and enjoying myself. I much prefer competitive rounds when I get paired with friends.

Back