Ping G25 or G30 irons

Toddo

Reaction score
Handicap
Beginning the process to make switch from Taylor Made to Ping. Those of you who have played either G25 or G30 irons what say you? Those are the irons I am thinking...Thanks!

Beginning the process to make switch from Taylor Made to Ping. Those of you who have played either G25 or G30 irons what say you? Those are the irons I am thinking...Thanks!

You can cover the same lofts from 5-U in the G30s as you can from the G25s from 4-U, as they have a slightly different loft progression. So you can open up a spot in the bag for another club. Otherwise they're very similar.

You can cover the same lofts from 5-U in the G30s as you can from the G25s from 4-U, as they have a slightly different loft progression. So you can open up a spot in the bag for another club. Otherwise they're very similar.

I don't understand how the loft opens up a spot. Then again I don't own them or know if the launch and distance is that much greater but in my testing is wasn't.

I don't understand how the loft opens up a spot. Then again I don't own them or know if the launch and distance is that much greater but in my testing is wasn't.

The G30 5i is basically the G25 4i in terms of length and loft. So the same distances are covered by one less club, with slightly different gapping. Ping claims (and it's what I saw) that you see more consistent gapping distance wise that way.

The G30 5i is basically the G25 4i in terms of length and loft. So the same distances are covered by one less club, with slightly different gapping. Ping claims (and it's what I saw) that you see more consistent gapping distance wise that way.

Interesting. I guess I need to read the review again.

Interesting. I guess I need to read the review again.

Yeah - when I hit the 7i in the store there want much difference but as you step through a few of the larger length/loft gaps it's a more marked difference at the long end of the bag. I've played both on course and ended up pulling the 4i in the G30 though it's a ton of fun as a driving iron type club.

Up through about the 8i they are the same. 7i on up they inflated the lengths and lofts on the G30's

Up through about the 8i they are the same. 7i on up they inflated the lengths and lofts on the G30's

Did that translate into gaining a full club in distance against the 25's?

Did that translate into gaining a full club in distance against the 25's?

I believe the theory is for slower swingers, higher handicaps, etc it's tougher to hit long irons. Therefore I bet if most charted out their gaps you'd see 10 yds roughly between clubs till you got to 6i then you might only see about 8 yds from your 7i. 6 yds between your 5 and 6 irons and even less between your 4 and 5 irons. So they just removed an iron and strengthened the lofts to still get the 10 yds gaps.

I see the same problem with my hybrids. While I have a 10 yd gap will all my irons once I get to my 20*, 23* and 26* hybrids my yardages look more like this. 167, 173, 178. So I usually bag two of them depending on par 3 yardages.

DDoesn't matter really. I've hit both and they both performed and felt amazing. If you're the type that plays the same iron for like 10 years then I'd go for the cheaper 25's and save a couple hundred in the process. The 25's are every bit as good as the 30's.

So I've owned both and find the G30's to be slightly better

slightly increased swing speed was caused by using graphite shafts for the G30's vs steel for the G25's

rZ0CbsR.png

HLOWycc.png

Back