Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 - THP Review Thread

For a whole lot of am's, more loft and a little more spin are good things. Just an honest q here for anyone.
James. Wanted to try something real quick after work. Went to my main course for a quick 9 and jacked my Opti up +2 and N. (12.5)
Right out of the car, no warmups, down the pipe. 2nd hole, same. 3rd was a nice little baby cut around the corner. 5 was a straight through the dogleg miss, but it was a beauty shot. 6 was a bomb over a crest and down a hill to 291 yards. 8 was short into a decently stout wind, but dead center.

Look out Savannah, T0AD found him a little something.

This continues to solidify itself in the bag. Hit some stupid impressive balls with this today.....definitely approaching driver distance for ME.

Just a fantastic fit for my swing. 11* draw.

This continues to solidify itself in the bag. Hit some stupid impressive balls with this today.....definitely approaching driver distance for ME.

You went with the stock KK shaft right?

Especially when you hit the front of the green on that par 4. That one was mashed!

I finally put the Bertha Mini in play this week. I'd tried the 1.5 with the KuroKage shaft but the spin was just too low for me. I was hitting low bullets. So I took the Speeder 665 shaft from the 815 Fwy and put that in. So it's actually a half inch shorter than normal. Results have been amazing. Trajectory is just right and this club just wants to find the fairway. Out here in SoCal there are a lot of courses where you need accuracy over raw distance. This club is going 240-245 for me which is perfect. I think it will have a permanent spot in my bag replacing my XR 3 Wood. I don't really need the XR from the fairway because the 815 Hybrid (18*) is so damn long. Love the confidence this gives off the tee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finally put the Bertha Mini in play this week. I'd tried the 1.5 with the KuroKage shaft but the spin was just too low for me. I was hitting low bullets. So I took the Speeder 665 shaft from the 815 Fwy and put that in. So it's actually a half inch shorter than normal. Results have been amazing. Trajectory is just right and this club just wants to find the fairway. Out here in SoCal there are a lot of courses where you need accuracy over raw distance. This club is going 240-245 for me which is perfect. I think it will have a permanent spot in my bag replacing my XR 3 Wood. I don't really need the XR from the fairway because the 815 Hybrid (18*) is so damn long. Love the confidence this gives off the tee.

I am having similar results,as the fairways here are like runways the ball is reaching driver like distances. I still have the 815 3 wood in the bag as I like it when I need to land the ball soft. You guys really hit a Homer with this club,it's helped me really enjoy that game so much more.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

2d95b075cd58f2db2607f584c76ff857.jpg
reading reviews and watching #cookie own fairways with this club makes my bank account hurt.

reading reviews and watching #cookie own fairways with this club makes my bank account hurt.

Love it bro, looking forward to seeing how this works for you!

Today I'm going to take driver out of the bag and use a 3w at 13° and pay attention to some stats. My driver swing is completely different from the swing I use for my irons and fairway woods, and it's sporadic at best. Barring just a terrible ball striking day, this may be the go-no go on a mini. I've used 3w only before, but didn't really past attention to distances because I just plain didn't have a driver. If the distance loss is marginal and fairways hit jumps up, it could be a hit to the wallet.

So I was only able to hit a regular shaft KK the other day and had some good shots, but also a few that were pull-hooks.

Would that mean a stiffer shaft is required?

My swing speed on the LM was between 95 and 100 regularly but up to 105 when I tried to get after it

Stiff shaft might help a little, but pull hooks are caused by a poor swing that even the stiffest of shafts won't help

Nice! Sorry it did not work out getting a demo at PGA. Look forward to seeing how this works for you.

I saw distances today at the range with this one that I haven't seen before, approaching driver length. Impressive club.

edit - I adjusted the club to +2 N

Last edited:
So I have a few rounds in with my mini. Off the tee ehhh I am still mental and still find the same issues with it. I am thinking of shortening the shaft a bit more to see if that helps.

Of the fairway the thing is just a straight bomber I have hit it out of some bad lies fairly well even. I am left with an interesting choice it is no where near the accuracy of my 3 wood is off the tee yet off the fairway it gives me a ton more yards than my normal 3 wood

Well today was........ FREAKING AWESOME. The driver has been hands down a struggle for me but today was a light at the end of the tunnel. I missed 3 fairways and all of them were no more than 10 feet off. I left it lofted at 12 degrees and was only 10-20 yards behind my driver. I'm stoked!!! The three fairways were completely my fault and knew immediately it was a bad swing but the biggest difference is with my driver I would have been OB or knee deep in rough.

Great stuff Chris and glad to see it! I know the driver has been a struggle recently so stoked to see that this has helped you like it helped me.

Let's play soon - I need to see it in action!

I played this exclusively off the tee tonight at an executive course. I blocked a couple, pulled one and hit a bunch straight. The bad ones came when I tried to muscle up on it. Lower end distances were in the same range as my current 3w; better ones - including some wind, roll out and gentle downhill terrain - were comparable distances to my driver.

Some memorable ones:
- even with the front 1/3 of the green but missed right on a 245 yard par 3
- 15 yards past the 50 yard marker on a 284 yard par 4 (gentle breeze at my back and really nice rollout)
- just short of or even with the green but missed left on a 265 yard par 4 (slightly down hill)
- @250-260 on a gently uphill par 4 (well struck and good rollout)

Last edited:
I bought lightning44's yesterday. I'm excited to try it out.

Of course, tonight I absolutely striped my 3 wood off the tee, so there's that... :bulgy-eyes:

Had mine out on the range today. Such an impressive club. About 5-10 yards farther for me over my 3Deep and much easier to hit. Mine is set to 14 degrees and neutral with the stock Stiff shaft. It going to work great with my 815 bertha driver. The shaft does not feel long but looks long with the shaft black/white airbrush. Thanks for all the feedback from others on this club. I have always hit a 3w well and enjoy my 3Deep but this is the next level.

So I have a few rounds in with my mini. Off the tee ehhh I am still mental and still find the same issues with it. I am thinking of shortening the shaft a bit more to see if that helps.

How much will you shorten it ? I am thinking to do the same. From tee I hit my 5w solid, but Mini is another story. Longer, but I am not seeing the same amount of fairway hits.

I'm still amazed at how for Tadashi was pounding this thing last weekend!

I didn't even realize that is what he was hitting and you are right he was pounding it

Saw one of these on the used rack today. Looked brand new. Doubt it'll last long! I've gotta give myself a go at one sometime soon.

I told you guys...

Back