To drink or not to drink?

I will have a beer per 9 if I'm feeling it. It's not something I have to do each round but I hate to see guys get trashed on the course then b*tch about how bad they are playing.

If I have something to eat and a beer or two before a round I can't play worth a darn and makes my game even more frustrating so I don't do it anymore.

How anyone can play this game and not drink is a mystery

I don't drink at all. You'll find me drinking water 99% of the time

If I have a ride I'll buy 6 and stick 4 in the bag. If I don't have a ride I'll just have the 6.

Years ago when I lived in Michigan, I used to carry a pint of Schnapps in the bag during the colder months. Now, my cold weather chill fighter of choice on the course (when necessary) is Captain Morgan, or, Fireball since it has been so popular with many THPers. But, generally, no, in the summer I prefer PowerAde Zero or something similar, or water. Occasionally, a beer it others are having one.

Do you swig some booze on the course when you play? If so what's your drink of choice? How does it affect your play? If not, why not?

Usually I will have a beer at the turn, but I find even a single beer will affect my focus level for a couple holes. I'm no light weight either!

I have no problem putting a 3-4 ounces of beer in my water with the 28 oz. camelback canteen ... the nutrients, the nutrients! And you get a little hint of a beer.

Has zero effect on focus ... just relaxes .. . like lithium... lol

Last edited:
I play golf as a sport with traditions I value and want to play my best. No way I will drink while playing. I don't drink and run, drink and play tennis, drink and cycle, and so on. This is also why I walk; golf is a landscape sport and walking is part of the experience and challenge. That's how I want to play.

I do understand the social experience that golf can offer, and a lot of people enjoy golf more for that part of the experience. Load up the cart, blast the tunes, and have a party across the course. I'm not against this -- as long it doesn't impact others on the course. For me I can focus on golf and be social (enough) without all the extras. I want to play golf. We can party at the 19th hole to celebrate the accomplishment. Just how I see the world.

I love to have a couple of beers during a round; 2nd beer generally negatively effects my balance.

Balance is so key to every aspect of golf.

Sometimes I don't really care. If it costs me a couple of strokes, I can live with it, especially on a really hot day with good friends.

A couple beers and a stogie was absolutely wrecking my back 9 about 6 months ago.

Every round my back 9 was significantly worse than the front 9.

I've almost completely stopped the stogies. 'Stogies lead to bogies' is my new motto.

Not while playing, typically. But I'll mix it up with a beer or two sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I usually get a couple beers and a brat at the turn. A little swing fluid never hurts.

When I play with one of my good friends we have a beer at the turn ritual, other than that I keep it for after the round.

Usually don't drink during the round. Even one or two effects my ball striking so I wait 'til after. Don't care if anyone else is. It's their game, their money they spent so enjoy it how you want.

I don't mind having a few beers on the course but never enough to really affect my game.

Back