The Masters of College Golf

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I suppose this is little more than a PSA since there is no TV coverage, just live scoring on GolfStat. But Monday is the first day of an important 2-day men's college golf tournament, the Western Refining College All-American Golf Classic.

This 54-hole tournament is known as the Masters of College Golf because it is an invitation only event where, in order to earn an invitation, a college player must be an All-American or be a Div. I or Div. II champion. The tournament has standard bearers who walk with each group and, on the range, name cards are placed behind the players, who practice with Pro V1s. The players are treated like PGA pros and each school with a player in the field receives a $1,000 scholarship. In total, Western Refining has given $600,000 in scholarship money to participating schools.

Past champions in the 34 year history of the event include Tiger Woods, David Duval, Jerry Pate, Scott Simpson, Notah Begay, Matt Kuchar, and Davis Love III. The Golf Classic ranks as the No. 1 tournament in the country according to the Golfweek/Sagarin Performance Index.

This year's field features 30 top-ranked players including Rickie Fowler of Oklahoma State, Billy Horschel of Florida, Adam Mitchell of Georgia, Charlie Holland of Texas, Nick Taylor of Washington, and Kyle Stanley of Clemson. The players that compete at this tournament are the ones that we will see on the PGA Tour in the future. And unlike the majority of their college career, the players will not be competing on behalf of their school's team. Rather, they compete as individuals, just like their PGA counterparts.

It's a compelling tournament and it's yet another college event that I wish The Golf Channel would cover.

I'd never even heard of it before now. Two days and 54 holes? Do they play 27 holes a day or 36 holes the first day and then cut and play 18 holes the second day? Lots of questions because I have no idea!

that sounds so awesome. i wish i could get to see it also, since i'm a junior player and college is right around the corner. I personally hope that Henrik Norlander or Jonothan Hodge wins because they are both from schools im being looked at by. wouldn't be bad for Kyle Stanley to win either cuz i got to meet him not too long ago and he's one of the nicest college athletes i have ever spoken with

I'd never even heard of it before now. Two days and 54 holes? Do they play 27 holes a day or 36 holes the first day and then cut and play 18 holes the second day? Lots of questions because I have no idea!

36 holes Monday, 18 Tuesday. No cut.

Here is the schedule for this year's event:

NOVEMBER 22-25, 2008 -- EL PASO COUNTRY CLUB

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 22
PLAYERS ARRIVE --ALL DAY
7:00 p.m.--WELCOME DINNER (EL PASO COUNTRY CLUB)

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 23
9:00 a.m. TITLEIST LONG DRIVE CONTEST
10:00 a.m. PING PUTTING CONTEST
11:00 a.m. LUNCH
12:00 p.m. SPONSOR ROUND
7:00 p.m. AWARDS DINNER (LARRY K. DURHAM SPORTS CENTER)

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 24
7:00 a.m. BREAKFAST (EL PASO COUNTRY CLUB)
8:00 a.m. FIRST AND SECOND ROUNDS (36 HOLES)
7:00 p.m. SHERIFF'S POSSE DINNER PRESENTED BY MERRILL LYNCH (SUNLAND PARK, N.M.)

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 25
7:00 a.m. BREAKFAST (EL PASO COUNTRY CLUB)
8:00 a.m. FINAL ROUND (18 HOLES)

Following final round: TROPHY PRESENTATION/ Players Depart​

After day 1 (Rounds 1 and 2), here are the standings
(sorry, I don't know how to do tables to make it all pretty and organized):

1 Corey Nagy (Charlotte) -4
2 Kyle Stanley (Clemson) -3
T3 Charlie Holland (Texas) -2
T3 Jarin Todd (Sonoma State ) -2
5 Trent Leon (Oklahoma State) -1
T6 Erik Flores (UCLA) E
T6 Kevin Foley (Penn State) E
T6 Jesper Kennegard (Arizona State) E
T6 Andrew Putnam (Pepperdine) E
10 Nick Taylor (Washington) +1
T11 Jorge Campillo (Indiana) +2
T11 Rickie Fowler (Oklahoma State) +2
T11 Matthew Giles (USC) +2
T11 Jonathan Hodge (Tennessee-Chattanooga)+2
T11 Jason Millard (Middle Tennesse State) +2
T11 Henrik Norlander (Augusta State) +2
T11 Zack Sucher (UAB) +2
T11 Mike Van Sickle (Marquette) +2
19 Russell Henley (Georgia) +3
20 Kevin O'Connell (North Carolina) +4
21 Chesson Hadley (Georgia Tech) +5
22 Adam Mitchell (Georgia) +6
T23 Matt Hill (North Carolina State) +8
T23 Andrew Landry (Arkansas) +8
T23 Matthew Swan (Alabama) +8
T26 Billy Horschel (Florida) +9
T26 Tim Sluiter (USC) +9​

I do know how to do tables to make it all pretty and organized:

Standing
Player
College
To Par
Corey Nagy
Charlotte
Kyle Stanley
Clemson
T3
Charlie Holland
Texas
T3
Jarin Todd
Sonoma State
Trent Leon
Oklahoma State
T6
Erik Flores
UCLA
E
T6
Kevin Foley
Penn State
E
T6
Jesper Kennegard
Arizona State
E
T6
Andrew Putnam
Pepperdine
E
Nick Taylor
Washington
+1
T11
Jorge Campillo
Indiana
+2
T11
Rickie Fowler
Oklahoma State
+2
T11
Matthew Giles
USC
+2
T11
Jonathan Hodge
Tennessee-Chattanooga
+2
T11
Jason Millard
Middle Tennessee State
+2
T11
Henrik Norlander
Augusta State
+2
T11
Zack Sucher
UAB
+2
T11
Mike Van Sickle
Marquette
+2
Russell Henley
Georgia
+3
Kevin O’Connell
North Carolina
+4
Chesson Hadley
Georgia Tech
+5
Adam Mitchell
Georgia
+6
T23
Matt Hill
North Carolina State
+8
T23
Andrew Landry
Arkansas
+8
T23
Matthew Swan
Alabama
+8
T26
Billy Horschel
Florida
+9
T25
Tim Sluiter
USC
+9

Last edited:
Well, it looked really pretty in Word! It just didn't cut and paste very well.

EDITED: I figured out why it was messing up in photobucket. This should be a lot better:

harrysgolfthing.jpg

I'm really surprised at how poorly Billy Horschel and Adam Mitchell played today.

Long Drive and Putting Contest Results from Sunday

Long Drive and Putting Contest Results from Sunday

http://www.sunbowl.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=228&Itemid=2
Nagy, Foley Take Top Honors Sunday At The
Western Refining College All-America Golf Classic

EL PASO, Texas (November 23, 2008) - Perfect weather set the tone for the 2008 Titleist Long Drive competition, as Charlotte's Corey Nagy became just the third player to ever eclipse 350 yards in the event, while Penn State's Kevin Foley won the PING Putting contest Sunday in the precursor to the 34th Annual Western Refining College All-America Golf Classic at El Paso Country Club.

With temperatures in the low 70s, Nagy, a junior from Charlotte, N.C., powered his drive 353 yards, joining event record holder Niklas Lemke and Anthony Kim as the only three players to reach 350 yards on their drive. Lemke and Kim did it in 2005, when Lemke went 358 yards, while Kim hit the 351-yard mark. Marquette's Mike Van Sickle just missed the mark with a 349 yard drive to finish second, while Adam Mitchell of Georgia went 348 yards for third place.

In the PING Putting Contest, Foley, a senior from Somerville, N.J., was the only player to break 20 on the nine-hole putting course that features hay bales, spurs and saddles as West Texas putting obstacles. Foley edged out Nagy and Oklahoma State's Rickie Fowler, who each netted a 20 on the course.

The 34th Annual Western Refining College All-America Golf Classic begins play Monday at 8:00 a.m. (MT) at the El Paso Country Club.

The tournament, hosted by the Sun Bowl Association, is played at the Par-71, 6,842-yard El Paso Country Club.

Throughout the years, many Western Refining College All-America Golf Classic competitors have gone on to pursue successful careers in the Professional Golfers' Association of America and on the PGA Tour. Some of the past champions include Ricky Barnes (2000), Notah Begay (1994), David Duval (1991), Matt Kuchar (1999), Davis Love III (1984), Chris Nallen (2003), Jerry Pate (1974), Nicholas Thompson (2004) and Tiger Woods (1995).

Each university is awarded a $1,000 scholarship if a golfer from that school competes in the tournament.

Titleist Longest Drive Contest Top 15
1. Corey Nagy, Charlotte, 353 yards; 2. Mike Van Sickle, Marquette, 349; 3. Adam Mitchell, Georgia, 348; T4. Jesper Kennegard, Arizona State, and Kyle Stanley, Clemson, 344; 6. Jarin Todd, Sonoma State, 338; 7. Tim Sluiter, USC, 331; 8. Rickie Fowler, Oklahoma State 329; 9. Erik Flores, 328; 10. Chesson Hadley, Georgia Tech, 325; 11. Andrew Putnam, Pepperdine, 324; T12. Kevin Foley, Penn State, and Jason Millard, Middle Tennessee, 320; 14. Matthew Swan, Alabama, 319; T15. Russell Henley, Georgia, Matthew Hill, North Carolina State, and Charlie Holland, Texas, 318.

PING Putting Contest Top 15
1. Kevin Foley, Penn State, 19; T2. Rickie Fowler, Oklahoma State, and Corey Nagy, Charlotte, 20; T4. Kevin O'Connell, North Carolina, and Jorge Campillo, Indiana, 21; 6. Andrew Putnam, Pepperdine, 22; T7. Russell Henley, Georgia, and Billy Horschel, Florida, 23; T9. Jesper Kennegard, Arizona State, Trent Leon, Oklahoma State, Adam Mitchell, Georgia, and Kyle Stanley, Clemson, 24; T13. Matthew Hill, North Carolina State, and Mike Van Sickle, Marquette, 25; T15. Jonathan Hodge, Chattanooga, Andrew Landry, Arkansas, Nick Taylor, Washington, and Jarin Todd, Sonoma State, 26.

And here is a page with bios of all of the players:
http://www.sunbowl.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=226&Itemid=121

The real question is how Cory Nagy pronounces his last name. Correct pronounciation is close to nahwdge, but it's really hard to explain Hungarian vowels in written English. NAY-gee is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Okay, I got curious last night and no one else did this. I shudder to think how this will be formatted:

Trent Leon Oklahoma State
Mike Van Sickle Marquette
Jorge Campillo Indiana
Matthew Giles USC
Corey Nagy Charlotte
Kevin Foley Penn State
Charlie Holland Texas
Jarin Todd Sonoma State
Henrik Norlander Augusta State
Erik Flores UCLA
Andrew Putnam Pepperdine
Zack Sucher UAB
Jesper Kennegard Arizona State
Kyle Stanley Clemson
Jonathan Hodge Chattanooga
Rickie Fowler Oklahoma State
Chesson Hadley Georgia Tech
Russell Henley Georgia
Nick Taylor Washington
Matt Hill North Carolina State
Kevin O'Connell North Carolina
Billy Horschel Florida
Andrew Landry Arkansas
Jason Millard Middle Tennesse State
Adam Mitchell Georgia
Matthew Swan Alabama
Tim Sluiter USC

Edit: it was awful, so I just cut out everything but raw final standings. Someone else can pretty it up. Here's the link: http://www.golfstatresults.com//public/leaderboards/player/static/player1393.html

That looks pretty good Claire

If anyone has the full version of acrobat (or a pdf writer, i assume will work too) and photoshop (you can open a pdf in photoshop) to turn it into a jpeg, that's how I did the other one. Unfortunately at work I do not have photoshop. So if no one does it today, I can do it tonight if anyone wants it. (Or if someone has photoshop but no way to make a pdf let me know, I can do that here).

Back