new clubs before or after lessons?

generalagony

Reaction score
I have decided what clubs I want to buy but I also know I need to take lessons soon; as I have not taken a lesson since starting the game a year ago. Would it be better to take lessons and before buying new clubs or buy them and take the lessons with the new clubs?

I am now a firm believer in getting fit for clubs and having the right gear in your hands to move forward. It sounds to me like you are in the game and not just sampling the lessons to see if you might like golf.

If that is the case get the right clubs in your hands and then start the lessons. Proper fitting equipment will influence how you swing a club and that will be 1 less hurdle to overcome while making swing changes.

I am now a firm believer in getting fit for clubs and having the right gear in your hands to move forward. It sounds to me like you are in the game and not just sampling the lessons to see if you might like golf.

If that is the case get the right clubs in your hands and then start the lessons. Proper fitting equipment will influence how you swing a club and that will be 1 less hurdle to overcome while making swing changes.

Andy is correct, but I would emphasize make damn sure you start the lessons. Do not overspend on equipment (e.g. buy last year's models or demos if necessary) and then neglect to take lessons. Find an instructor that you like and who is giving you results. Ask accomplished friends or trusted acquaintances for references. Not every pro with a PGA certification is a good teacher. If you have trouble finding one, post your general location on the site and I suspect someone will chime in with a couple of suggestions.

That is why he is our THP Professional

Andy is indeed impressive, and one of the reasons I decided to stay around HP. I have a preference for guys who earned their bones on the range instead of spending their entire career at Snooty Valley Country Club(s). My point was that the OP not get taken for a ride by some clown at Golf Galaxy, stuffing his bag with 2K worth of equipment he does not need at the expense of lessons. In my area, we have in my opinion, relatively few top-notch fitters, and my recommendation is to send beginners to my first pro who I know will guide them to a good place that will give him/her the right clubs for their level. JB, I am sure you have played with many of the same players that I have. They have the latest equipment, the R-9 woods, Ping V-2 Raptures, Four Vokey wedges, and a Scotty Cameron, but would need a miracle to break 100.

Back