Callaway Great Big Bertha Fairway Wood Preview Thead

First round today with the new GBB 3W and Heavenwood. I bought both to replace my V Series clubs of the same type. Gotta say I don't think I like the GBB's as much as the V Series clubs. My Heavenwood was easily 10-15 yards shorter and the 3W just didn't do much of anything. Don't know if it's possible but I'm going to call Callaway Pre-Owned tomorrow morning and see if there's anyway I can get my V Series clubs sent back to me with me paying the shipping cost. They haven't paid out my trade yet and the clubs were delivered last Wednesday so maybe they're still in the box if I'm lucky. Can't hurt to try.

First round today with the new GBB 3W and Heavenwood. I bought both to replace my V Series clubs of the same type. Gotta say I don't think I like the GBB's as much as the V Series clubs. My Heavenwood was easily 10-15 yards shorter and the 3W just didn't do much of anything. Don't know if it's possible but I'm going to call Callaway Pre-Owned tomorrow morning and see if there's anyway I can get my V Series clubs sent back to me with me paying the shipping cost. They haven't paid out my trade yet and the clubs were delivered last Wednesday so maybe they're still in the box if I'm lucky. Can't hurt to try.

Might be the shafts.

I just hit my GBB 3wd and 5wd this weekend for the first time, against my V Series 3wd and 5 wd.

I really like the light feel of the V Series - so easy to swing. At the same time, the GBB 5 wd has a lower, stronger launch, as does the 3 wd. The GBB has less spin, feel is still lively.

While I will not dissuade you from getting your V Series returned, since I still have my V Series, I would give the GBB more range and playing time. It takes time for a transition. You might look at another shaft in the GBB Heavenwood - something more substantial than 55g.

Might be the shafts.

I just hit my GBB 3wd and 5wd this weekend for the first time, against my V Series 3wd and 5 wd.

I really like the light feel of the V Series - so easy to swing. At the same time, the GBB 5 wd has a lower, stronger launch, as does the 3 wd. The GBB has less spin, feel is still lively.

While I will not dissuade you from getting your V Series returned, since I still have my V Series, I would give the GBB more range and playing time. It takes time for a transition. You might look at another shaft in the GBB Heavenwood - something more substantial than 55g.

I think the thing is the GBB's feel too heavy for me. I guess I really like the light feel of the V Series. My V Series Heavenwood was a 200 yard club for me. This GBB Heavenwood only seems to get out to 185 and that was after I dropped it down to 19*. The V Series is 20.5*. As for the 3W, I never really could hit the V Series 3W all that great but this GBB 3W I seem to keep hitting fat or I'll make what seems like good contact and it only goes like 170. Not sure what the deal is. Admittedly I'm not a great golfer but I shouldn't be that different between clubs I would think. I don't know, I'm just a little bummed that these new EXPENSIVE woods seem to be a bust.

I think the thing is the GBB's feel too heavy for me. I guess I really like the light feel of the V Series. My V Series Heavenwood was a 200 yard club for me. This GBB Heavenwood only seems to get out to 185 and that was after I dropped it down to 19*. The V Series is 20.5*. As for the 3W, I never really could hit the V Series 3W all that great but this GBB 3W I seem to keep hitting fat or I'll make what seems like good contact and it only goes like 170. Not sure what the deal is. Admittedly I'm not a great golfer but I shouldn't be that different between clubs I would think. I don't know, I'm just a little bummed that these new EXPENSIVE woods seem to be a bust.

I hear you - the great thing about the V Series is they went through the hitting zone with ease because of the light heads and lite swingweights (balance). In fact, I have a V Series 7 wood (instead of heaven) at 22 and 41.5 in -- putting in a Diamana I'lima 70 I found on ebay to get less spin as torque is 2.8 - and flex is soft at the tip and butt. I'd probably opt for a GBB Divine9 if it was adjustable or less expensive (versus the adjustable).

See what happens when you grip down .5 inches more than usual -- see if that lightens things up in terms of clubhead feel.

Bad fit...

Between Sellingers' and CompuGolf, I've seen some odd combos called fittings over the years.

Agreed.

Saw your comments elsewhere on the toe hits with this driver - I'm going to have to give that a try and see if it changes things up for me.

I would agree that these seem heavier than the X hot and X2 Hots, but for me that has been a good thing both in the driver and the 3W. I have had some misses with both clubs, but they don't seem to be as severe as my misses with my X Hot driver/X2 Hot 4W.

Hope you can get it worked out, or at least get your old clubs back so you can move the GBB at a good price to limit the $ you lose on these if you do go back.

I would agree that these seem heavier than the X hot and X2 Hots, but for me that has been a good thing both in the driver and the 3W. I have had some misses with both clubs, but they don't seem to be as severe as my misses with my X Hot driver/X2 Hot 4W.

Hope you can get it worked out, or at least get your old clubs back so you can move the GBB at a good price to limit the $ you lose on these if you do go back.

Called Callaway Pre-Owned this morning and they said no problem on sending my clubs back. Sounded almost too easy so I guess we'll see if they show up or not. Said they might not get them shipped out for a few days. Hoping I get my exact clubs back because I had the Golf Pride MCC +4 grips on them. I really hope they come through because if they don't then I'll miss out on the 30% off sale they have going on now if I was going to have to repurchase replacement V Series clubs. As for the new GBB fairways, I'm headed straight to the range tonight after work and will spend another hour or so with them. If I find the same results I had this weekend then I'll put them up for sale in the FS/FT forum. I really want these clubs to work but I think the writing is on the wall...

Interesting stuff, we are all different for sure and it sounds like you just found a "sweet spot" and comfort with the V's, fantastic clubs and I hope you get yours back!

I think I'll pull the head on my V heavenwood tonight and compare weights with the GBB HW, I'm curious now!

Interesting stuff, we are all different for sure and it sounds like you just found a "sweet spot" and comfort with the V's, fantastic clubs and I hope you get yours back!

I think I'll pull the head on my V heavenwood tonight and compare weights with the GBB HW, I'm curious now!

I'd be curious to know those static head weights as the stock shafts on both the V Series and GBB Heavenwoods are only a 1 gram difference according the the spec pages. Of course there is also a 1/4" shaft length difference.

Of the same note, I weighed the GBB driver head against my V Series driver head (both 10.5*) and the GBB was 195 grams and the V Series was 187 grams. I'm teeter-tottering on these clubs too, which I'll also be testing against each other tonight.

I'll be sure to post up some weight info tonight then, I'm truly curious!

Enablers, all of you. My 815 and I had a good thing going...

Mward,
With your AOA and swing, this club could be lethal in your hands.

Mward,
With your AOA and swing, this club could be lethal in your hands.

When I swung Fupresti's, I was putting a move on it even on bad swings. The look, the profile... It was a big uh oh. Off the tee I should be able to just launch this sucker.

Agreed.

Saw your comments elsewhere on the toe hits with this driver - I'm going to have to give that a try and see if it changes things up for me.

I went to +1 and +2 at times on the GBB yesterday, used the "D" setting, and placed the APW weight to Fade -- it seemed to help hits that might lead towards the toe -- with the weight in the fade position, I did not feel the toe hits as I did earlier Saturday

Man I have got to see this baby outdoors and give it my full attention. I hit the 3 wood over the weekend at Dicks and the feel at impact was addicting. I don't really know how to describe it other than it just shot the ball off the face with a fantastic feel. I hit the 3 wood at the Gauntlet and really liked it but I was more worried about getting swings in with the GBB. This club has jumped into my Grandaddy bag ponder and is sort of throwing wrench in the set up I had in mind

I love the GBB 5 wood since I put the heavier UST shaft in it (86 gr), having some issues off the deck with the 3 wood and LZ combo but absolutely smoke it off the tee so it is a operator error most likely. I am going to tip a UST 3 wood shaft and give that go.

When I swung Fupresti's, I was putting a move on it even on bad swings. The look, the profile... It was a big uh oh. Off the tee I should be able to just launch this sucker.

It's laughable how much I love this thing and I loved my XR.

Man I have got to see this baby outdoors and give it my full attention. I hit the 3 wood over the weekend at Dicks and the feel at impact was addicting. I don't really know how to describe it other than it just shot the ball off the face with a fantastic feel. I hit the 3 wood at the Gauntlet and really liked it but I was more worried about getting swings in with the GBB. This club has jumped into my Grandaddy bag ponder and is sort of throwing wrench in the set up I had in mind
This would be an excellent weapon for you in December.

This would be an excellent weapon for you in December.

I think this may take the Mini out of the bag unless I go driver, mini then 5 wood. But that doesn't leave much room for UT. This is by far the best problem I've ever had lol

I think this may take the Mini out of the bag unless I go driver, mini then 5 wood. But that doesn't leave much room for UT. This is by far the best problem I've ever had lol

Having owned the Mini and enjoyed it, I think picking the Mini over the GBB 3 wood is a mistake.

Having owned the Mini and enjoyed it, I think picking the Mini over the GBB 3 wood is a mistake.
I agree for the most part in the broad sense, but situations will def vary.

Both are awesome for sure though.

I agree for the most part in the broad sense, but situations will def vary.

Both are awesome for sure though.
An open question to you and fupy, is the GBB 3 wood deep enough to be reliable off of the tee? Is the CG of the mini driver low enough for off the deck work?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

An open question to you and fupy, is the GBB 3 wood deep enough to be reliable off of the tee? Is the CG of the mini driver low enough for off the deck work?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Don't sleep on the 816 either. Plenty deep enough to be reliable off the tee, and the 16* with weight in the back is the highest MOI FW offering they have.

I see why people are excited about these. Spent a good deal of time this evening with the 3 wood with the KURO KAGE Stiff shaft. Off the deck it's very easy to hit, and in comparison to my gamer that a huge up tick. Off the teeI saw decent distance. The thing I like most about it is I could work the ball pretty well, even hit a couple fades on demand. Which is a new shot I'm working on. The reason I made note to that, is cause at address it looks somewhat closed to me. It may be my eye or what ever. This is a solid offering. I want to hit it with a couple other shaft offerings just to see where I'm at. My current gamers have the Fubuki alpha X flex tipped 1 1/2 inches. My mind is telling me I need a stiffer shaft, but what I was seeing seemed pretty legit out of the Stiff flex stock straight in.

Back