Evolution vs Revolution

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
In both episodes of Uncut on THP radio we have heard Mike Vrska and Corey Consuegra talk about the revolution in their products instead if the evolution we have been used to. We see Callaway teaming with Boeing, Cobra teaming with aerospace industry.

Vrska mentioned that what they are doing with the C200 was something they couldn't do two years ago and Corey said they have been working on the ab series ball for 4 years. Vrska also mentioned a fairway wood they designed that because of price point couldnt be released.

What you say THP? in the next two years what other industries do you think companies work with to develop their tech? Do we see maybe experimentation with polymer, more aerospace collaboration, etc?

Last edited:
Really good question.
We have seen a lot in the past and one thing is constant, the "other" industry is always a top field in engineering.

I think if the feel of the PXG irons becomes a hit wer going to see more irons injected with that Thermo Plastic Elastamer stuff

In both episodes of Uncut on THP radio we have heard Mike Vrska and Corey Conseguera talk about the revolution in their products instead if the evolution we have been used to. We see Callaway teaming with Boeing, Cobra teaming with aerospace industry.

Vrska mentioned that what they are doing with the C200 was something they couldn't do two years ago and Corey said they have been working on the ab series ball for 4 years. Vrska also mentioned a fairway wood they designed that because of price point couldnt be released.

What you say THP? in the next two years what other industries do you think companies work with to develop their tech? Do we see maybe experimentation with polymer, more aerospace collaboration, etc?

It only makes sense that there be a convergence of companies in terms of their respective expertise. It would take a look more time effort and money for a company to invest in say aerospace engineers to develop a product versus teaming with a company that already has that experts in that field in spades. I wouldn't be surprised to see DOW or Nippon Steel/ Sumitono Metal Corporation in the future partnering with golf club companies lending their expertise to the development of lighter and stronger drivers.

I think if the feel of the PXG irons becomes a hit wer going to see more irons injected with that Thermo Plastic Elastamer stuff

i don't know much about polymer as a hole but there are products that use it for reducing weight. We see companies looking at ways to make drivers lighter and move CG around. Wilson has the urethane in the holes and it will be interesting to see what other coma pines might do.

Another question based on my op. Based on Vrskas comment that the FW they designed but couldn't release because of price point worl make me think that OEMs have the ability to do a lot more than what they put on the market but because they want to be able to sell clubs that have to restrict what they do from and R&D perspective to keep cost reasonable.

do you think this is because the current U.S. market isn't ready for the prices that we see in Japanese clubs (not saying there is more tech just a price point)? Do you think there will ever be a time that OEMs will push the envelope and thus increase the price point if their clubs into the higher end prices or will they continue along at the current price point and leave some design stuff on the table?

I don't think we've hit the wall with clubs, but I think we will continue to see engineers from other industries team up with OEM's across the board. It just makes sense that this would happen. I too, was curious about the fairway wood they couldn't release, what current price point would that be in?

Tiger was the noncontinuom, as were video and launch monitors. Equipment is evolutionary with a touch of planned obsolescence.

I don't think we've hit the wall with clubs, but I think we will continue to see engineers from other industries team up with OEM's across the board. It just makes sense that this would happen. I too, was curious about the fairway wood they couldn't release, what current price point would that be in?

im going to guess it was in the range if the higher end drivers but I am curious too. Also curious what things they took from that and applied to any fairways since or other lines.

I'll go with manufacturing sciences. One of the reasons the tech has improved is that there are now more ways to manufacture clubs that just didn't exist 10-15 years ago and I think that will continue!!

As exotic materials become more affordable, we'll see different manufacturing concepts with these materials more prevalent. 3D printing will also play a role in more product releases but the bottom line is that they still need to meet the spec criteria. Like Michael said that they are pushing the limits right to the door. The question is how close can you get to the limits...

As exotic materials become more affordable, we'll see different manufacturing concepts with these materials more prevalent. 3D printing will also play a role in more product releases but the bottom line is that they still need to meet the spec criteria. Like Michael said that they are pushing the limits right to the door. The question is how close can you get to the limits...

i like the idea of 3D printing in the golf industry. Would the result be a very consistent product?

i like the idea of 3D printing in the golf industry. Would the result be a very consistent product?

I think that it would be a very consistent product or as consistent as a computer would make. The could print out a 3D head in about an hour or so, review it, scrap it or have another design in the same amount of time. No more prototype models, clay work-ups, or castings. They could make minute changes on the fly and get their results the same day. This in itself would save them $$$$$$$$.

I see the companies doing whatever they can and push the envelope to get as much distance as possible for the consumer.

I think definitely more aerospace but who knows who else they will partner with as well.

I think that it would be a very consistent product or as consistent as a computer would make. The could print out a 3D head in about an hour or so, review it, scrap it or have another design in the same amount of time. No more prototype models, clay work-ups, or castings. They could make minute changes on the fly and get their results the same day. This in itself would save them $$$$$$$$.

Interesting thought as 3d printing didn't cross my mind when I was thinking of this topic. do you think this would allow them to push the design to make it better while minimizing the costs so that a product like what wilson came up with but couldn't be released because of cost?

Being that I am in the aerospace/composites business, I see the improvements of composites, both in weight and strength.
There has been full composite driver heads in the past, but they didn't seem to garner enough popularity to stay. The science behind composite materials and their use has come a long way since then.
I see more of this being used in the golf industry as time goes by.

I see the companies doing whatever they can and push the envelope to get as much distance as possible for the consumer.

I think definitely more aerospace but who knows who else they will partner with as well.

do you think that will be a focus more on woods and less on irons or do you think there could be use in irons. I am having a hard time the aerospace field can have an impact on irons but I think they have on,y began to scratch the surface with woods.

do you think that will be a focus more on woods and less on irons or do you think there could be use in irons. I am having a hard time the aerospace field can have an impact on irons but I think they have on,y began to scratch the surface with woods.

Definitely more opportunity with woods just in terms of what goes into the head on woods.

But i feel like smarter minds than mind would be able to apply tech advances in drivers down to other clubs in the bag

Back