Countdown to The Gauntlet

Amid the awesome Morgan Cup live update thread viewing, I had to steal myself away to post here. There are only 42 days left till the Gauntlet. Here is another one of the Arthur Hills "fun" holes, #13.

Do what it says and favor the left side off the tee. I was just barely in bounds on the right after clipping trees and there is nothing good over there. The fairway does narrow and it seems narrower because it is kind of like a half pipe. The approach is over water and the green has a massive ridge in the middle with the back upper tier and the front lower tier sloping toward the water. You'll want to be on the correct tier, otherwise it is three putt city.

Was on in two on this hole. There was a big gator in the bank in front of the green.

Was on in two on this hole. There was a big gator in the bank in front of the green.

If you can wrestle the gators mouth closed I will concede your birdie putt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course you were, Mr. Longball McBomberson.

Sunday was the 40 day mark till the Gauntlet. That means hole #15 of the Hills course.

Judging distance to the pin is difficult like the picture says. Standing on the tee you can't really see the surface of the green at all because of a dune and high lip of the bunker in front of the green. Depth is very tricky to judge here. The swale in the middle of the green is fairly deep. You definitely don't want to be putting from the back of the green to the front.

Today is 39 days till the Gauntlet! Seeing the Morgan Cup celebration video makes me really want to get out and work on my game so that come September 7th, Team Rhi is the one celebrating. Here is hole 16 of the Hills course.

Take enough club to get over the water short and right off the tee but not so much that you are in the water beyond the fairway. Sounds easy. I was sitting middle of the fairway off the tee but then hit a slight fat pull short and left on the approach. I wasn't in the water but I couldn't get up and down from there. There are a couple keys to this hole: 1) Get over the tee shot, 2) watch the wind on the approach.

Damn there's a lot of water on this and the other courses. You guys better re-grip those ball retrievers!

Damn there's a lot of water on this and the other courses. You guys better re-grip those ball retrievers!

I got fins and a mask in my bag already! Just need someone to watch the gators for me...

I got fins and a mask in my bag already! Just need someone to watch the gators for me...

Pshhhtt!!!! We're part of Team Sabella. Gators fear US (....and not because we'll be hitting balls in the water either :sly: )

Only 38 more days till the Gauntlet and we are almost through the Hills course. Here's hole #17

Be sure to take enough club for whatever line you take off the tee. I recommend trying to be further up the fairway. There are a series of dune ridges running through the fairway before the 150 post and you could get a poor lie with an awkward stance looking at a daunting approach shot. Further up the fairway is flatter and give a much easier approach. There is hardly any room for error between the putting surface and the water.

I hope ScottyG takes a page from Hashtag Chad's book and engages everyone. The way he just hung around behind everyone at the MC was creepy.

2jan8r5.jpg

With just 37 days till The Gauntlet, we are 1/3 of the way through the countdown! Here is the final hole of the Hills course.

This is a modest length par 5 but being a double bender makes it difficult to go for in 2. Mostly because of the mounds in front of the green. If the flag stick is anywhere but in the front and right part of the green, it is almost totally hidden behind those mounds. If the pin is back left, then it is also behind trees. There is plenty room to the right side of the fairway on the approach for a bailout or layup, leaving a flat pitch into a wide open green. The back of the green slopes away.

Up next is Fazio

With just 37 days till The Gauntlet, we are 1/3 of the way through the countdown! Here is the final hole of the Hills course.

This is a modest length par 5 but being a double bender makes it difficult to go for in 2. Mostly because of the mounds in front of the green. If the flag stick is anywhere but in the front and right part of the green, it is almost totally hidden behind those mounds. If the pin is back left, then it is also behind trees. There is plenty room to the right side of the fairway on the approach for a bailout or layup, leaving a flat pitch into a wide open green. The back of the green slopes away.

Up next is Fazio

Freddie hit a crazy FW out of the pine straw right to just to the right edge of the green. I was like :bulgy-eyes:.
I was left behind those mounds. :beat-up:

Up next is Fazio

that hole was the only birdie i made all day :at-wits-end:

Freddie hit a crazy FW out of the pine straw right to just to the right edge of the green. I was like :bulgy-eyes:.
I was left behind those mounds. :beat-up:

i thought your partner did that :alien2: (maybe we both did)

i thought your partner did that :alien2: (maybe we both did)

You may have both done it. I have giant gaps in my memory. I couldn't tell you where 90% of my shots were that day, and am amazed that you guys can.

that hole was the only birdie i made all day :at-wits-end:

Same here, hit a pitching wedge to about 4 feet and made the putt.

This hole is like #6, fade is called for off the tee but a draw is needed to get near the green in 2.

This hole is like #6, fade is called for off the tee but a draw is needed to get near the green in 2.

I got the first part covered...

36 days to go till the Gauntlet. Today we start the second 18 of the Fazio course. The Palmetto Dunes website doesn't have the nice yardage book pictures for the Fazio course that it does for the Hills and RTJ courses, so pics from the course map will have to do.
hole1.jpg

Hole Number: 1[h=3]Par: 4
Long but forgiving off the tee, the opening hole favors a drive down the right side. The approach to this long, narrow green, flanked on the left by out-of-bounds, can play even longer into the wind.[/h]
Yards:
gold.gif
blue.gif
white.gif
green.gif

Looks like there is some forgiveness down the right side of the fairway according to the flyover. The bunker to the right of the green has a really high lip and subsequent mound on the right side of the green. Guys, that might have played this course, please chime in.

36 days to go till the Gauntlet. Today we start the second 18 of the Fazio course. The Palmetto Dunes website doesn't have the nice yardage book pictures for the Fazio course that it does for the Hills and RTJ courses, so pics from the course map will have to do.

Hole Number: 1Par: 4
Long but forgiving off the tee, the opening hole favors a drive down the right side. The approach to this long, narrow green, flanked on the left by out-of-bounds, can play even longer into the wind.

All I remember about Fazio in general is the freaking awesome sand shot I pulled off from a buried lie under the lip of a huge bunker.
I also thought the greens were harder to hit than the other two courses. They seemed to be REALLY well protected and not overly generous in size.
I bought a 60* pretty much just for this course.

All I remember about Fazio in general is the freaking awesome sand shot I pulled off from a buried lie under the lip of a huge bunker.
I also thought the greens were harder to hit than the other two courses. They seemed to be REALLY well protected and not overly generous in size.
Looking at the flyovers, I would tend to agree with you about the greens. Well protected and small or really shallow.

And when climbing out, you fell back in? Or was that another bunker. It's hard to remember!

And when climbing out, you fell back in? Or was that another bunker. It's hard to remember!
I don't think I fell out of the first one I was in. A few more after, yes, but not that first one. I'll have to watch my step as weariness creeps in during ye old Gauntlet.

So the Fazio course is the one at Palmetto Dunes that I have played the most, since my parents' vacation home is about a 5 minute walk from the clubhouse. That course doesn't have a driving range, so my dad and I usually show up there, roll putts for 2-3 minutes and then walk to the first tee on that course. Anyways, I'll have a lot to say about this course, hopefully the input helps some of you Gauntlet guys.

Anyways, wluker17 is right about #1 in saying that there is more room to the right than the left, because #9 runs parallel to #1 and #9 runs to the right of #1. There is out-of-bounds to the left of the fairway, and even if you only miss in the left rough, the angle is tougher than coming in from the right side. I don't remember a ton about the green, to be honest. It is definitely not the easiest starting hole in the world, especially for someone like myself that fights a miss to the left off of the tee.

FWIW, I would imagine that you guys would play the blue or white tees. Remember that it's only a par 70, so a par 72 would add about 200 yards onto the yardages that are listed. It's a pretty good test from the blues, and not a pushover at all from the whites since there are only a few holes where there are >20 yard differences between the blue and white tees.

With 35 days to go, here is hole #2 of Fazio.
hole2.jpg

[h=2]Hole Number: 2[/h][h=3]Par: 5
Stay right off this tee. Don't go for the green in two; water short right, a bunker short left and a tall tree guard this green. The smart play is to lay up to 150-100 yards out. The shallow, one-club green is raised in the middle.[/h]
Yards:
gold.gif
blue.gif
white.gif
green.gif
One of only 2 par fives on the whole course and this one looks like it is extremely difficult to reach in 2. From the tee, the flyover make it seem like you want to hit a draw but going left is no good. The layup looks like you want to be left or past the tree that sticks out in the fairway at 73 yards from the green and short of the water. The green looks small and shallow with a big hump in the middle.

If you're back far enough, going at the green OVER the tree on the right is possible, but not advisable. Ask me how I know...:bulgy-eyes:

Back