Best advice you have ever recieved in regards to your golf game

Old guy said "there are no good Russian (rushing) golfers, take your time"

Right hand palm grip, night and day difference for me.

Sell ya clubs :beat-up:
If you're looking to off your hybrids let me know. Been looking for a decent 16 or 17 degree 2 brid for some time now.

From a swing perspective, it was "your arms stop when your shoulders stop". I still forget this on course, but it's helped my contact get more consistent, especially with driver. One of my big issues is overswing/reverse pivot. Recipe for some massive push slices on bad days.

Go to the range everyday and do nothing but hit irons....from 3-LW but primarily focus on 6 through PW and master those irons....your index will drop 100 fold guaranteed. All I did for 5 straight years in the 90's was hit and practice irons. Golf is all about irons and great iron play. Sticking lawn darts from 200 yds and in. I did that and the game became some kind of wonderful. It's hard to explain unless you've ever been in that "ball striking" zone that I speak of.
What I say is true. Think about it like this......how often do you see guys hitting irons at a range, almost never. Alot of times guys will show up with only his driver and a bucket of balls. Being good off the tee is important but we all see pros missing fairways all the time and card a birdie because of their stellar second shot. When you see Adam Scott warming up I almost never see him use a driver...it's all about irons.

What you say has worked for you but does not fit ever golfer. My game is predicated on hitting to my spots off the tee to take advantage of the pins. I see plenty of top pros hitting driver, including AS. I see them working on short game more than anything else, Irons and woods about equal.

The average Amateur can not get off the tee and need that driver to set the table. I'd venture to say more strokes are lost off the tee than into the green.
What I say is true. Think about it like this......how often do you see guys hitting irons at a range, almost never. Alot of times guys will show up with only his driver and a bucket of balls. Being good off the tee is important but we all see pros missing fairways all the time and card a birdie because of their stellar second shot. When you see Adam Scott warming up I almost never see him use a driver...it's all about irons.

What you say has worked for you but does not fit ever golfer. My game is predicated on hitting to my spots off the tee to take advantage of the pins. I see plenty of top pros hitting driver, including AS. I see them working on short game more than anything else, Irons and woods about equal.

The average Amateur can not get off the tee and need that driver to set the table. I'd venture to say more strokes are lost off the tee than into the green.
I'm assuming most guys can hit the fairway or get it into a reasonable lie even if its not in the fairway to pull off a second shot. If you can't even get off the tee box then obviously you need that. But guys are more concerned about hitting bombs than greens. They get that "how ya like me now" reaction. I could care less as long as I can get it out there past 260 and have a reasonable lie. Also...I'm not good enough to pick my spots off the tee unless it doglegs at about 200 yds. I'll usually lay up. Not that I can't work it around the corner but I usually just try to hit it down the center every time regardless. Now from 165 and in I will go pin hunting. I'm not just trying to hit the green I'm trying to get it close.

Last edited:

This is me and the difference of a 80's round and a 90's round at the moment. If I can set my self up with the first shot on each hole I can and will shoot well struggle from the tee and I'm in for a fight.

The best tip for me lately is keep my right hip from going up and away from the ball at the top of my backswing.

I was watching Playing Lessons with Sandra Gal last week, and she had a tip that she uses for punch shots but I am looking at expanding to all my swings. She talked about in her setup keeping back in the stance and (what I am looking at doing) setting up in her strike position at the start. That resonated with me and I went into my garage for some swings. Setting up where not only is the club face square, but also my lower body is in a power position and my hands are where they need to be (in tight and in front of the club head at impact) ended up with a pretty basic backswing and made the focus of returning to that position pretty simple for me. After a couple of tries, I was making pretty effortless contact with what I thought was a little extra pop on the strike.

Paul Azinger once talked about the body having 15 seconds of muscle memory and that his goal in a practice swing was to get the feel right and then take the shot within 15 seconds of that. Same principles may apply here?

Anyways, it's something I'll be trying out with my net to see if it remains as natural as the initial tests showed.

On the matter of the tee shots versus irons, I think I went too far over to iron practice, and my tee game was horrid yesterday. My iron hits were on the other hand very solid. It was accuracy more than contact that was the issue. I am going to spend more time with my driver and 2 hybrid on the tee, but have it be more of a 30/70 breakdown between tee game and irons instead of the 10/90 it had been the last few weeks.

It's something that I read in here. Why use five different wedges when I can learn to use one for different shots?
I can now hit my 56* anywhere from a 10y chip to a 80y pitch.

I fixed my slice this year but then started striking the ball erratically. Mostly hooks. Then figured out to keep the left wrist slightly bent back right to impact. Staightened my shots right out. Also forces me to swing more with my body.

Last edited:
Two tips I got this weekend from Wardy really helped my ball striking - one was using my right shoulder to align myself, and the other was more the correction of an issue I had where my head was moving during the swing.

I think this a great thread, some good wisdom. A golf buddy of mine won the DuffDaddy contest and was invited up to TPC sugarloaf for free lessons with jason.

They hand lunch, shot the sh!t and got some tips. The best tip Jason gave him was 'lower your expectations'

I thought this was great because we all hold ourselves to very lofty goals. And when these aren't reached we get discouraged or angry. Deep down inside we all know how good we are, I think if we start touching that, golf will be enjoyable. It will also give you some real insight into what you need to work on.

Most helpful (received when I first started playing golf avidly) was to strengthen my grip to stop slicing.

I'm open to more advice....

What is the best best piece of advise you have gotten.

Use your natural athletic ability.

I think this a great thread, some good wisdom. A golf buddy of mine won the DuffDaddy contest and was invited up to TPC sugarloaf for free lessons with jason.

They hand lunch, shot the sh!t and got some tips. The best tip Jason gave him was 'lower your expectations'

I thought this was great because we all hold ourselves to very lofty goals. And when these aren't reached we get discouraged or angry. Deep down inside we all know how good we are, I think if we start touching that, golf will be enjoyable. It will also give you some real insight into what you need to work on.

Lot to be said in this post. Too many arrive at the course thinking this will be the day that they shoot ten strokes under their average only to blow up somewhere along the line and leave feeling bad.

I keep my expectations pretty low and go in just hoping to shoot 6 or 8 strokes over par. Bogey golf will beat thousands of players. Never set goals you have zero chance of meeting.

Best Advise I got was: Quit trying to rip the cover off the ball!
Expectations: I have always kept low, I go out and try and do better that the last stupid shot that I shouldn't have tried.

Best advice I got was: you're using too many muscles in your swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My older brother after watching me sidespin another 5 foot putt:

"It is mind boggling how shi*ty of a putter you are!"

At first, I was embarrassed and upset. Then I got pissed and vowed to learn how to roll a putt properly. My putting improvement has been instrumental in getting my cap into single digits.

Treat every shot around the greens like it's going to make you a lot of money. Don't rush them, and don't hurry putts.

Best advice you have ever recieved in regards to your golf game

Upon setting up a lesson recently, the Pro said for me to be ready to talk about what I want to accomplish as soon as we sit down. He told me, whatever I decide my goals are, I need to be prepared to put in the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best advice I ever got was relax and don't take it so seriously.

Most people would golf better if they just relaxed a little bit and didn't get so mad at themselves.
I have golfed with so many people that are better than me but end up losing because they have blow up holes and get upset and blow up mentally.
And they let it ruin their round. It's supposed to be fun. So enjoy it, learn from your mistakes and move on.

2nd best would be to play your game and don't worry what others are doing.
I get asked all the time what club I used, especially on par 3's.
Why would you care? Do you hit your clubs the exact same distances as me?

I posted this awhile back but it's the single piece of advice that has stuck with me and improved my game. Plus, a funny dig that's also stayed with me.

Playing in Myrtle Beach in 2001, the Parkland course at Legends, I had the good fortune to play with a gentleman who had a short stint on the European Tour years ago.

Kevin was from Ireland and spoke with a fairly thick Irish brogue.

On the tenth tee he asks, "so Billy, tell me what you see from the tee here."

I responded, "I see water left at about 180 yards and a deep bunker 200+ yards on the right with another bunker behind that one."

"Hmm," he says. "Let me ask you another question then. In all that, where the @$&# is the fairway?!"

He was blunt and funny. He went on to explain to me that I'd be best served to only acknowledge trouble so as to decide which club to play and which side of the tee box to select.

Then after the round, he asks, "Billy, what's your handicap?"

At the time I wasn't keeping one and said, "maybe a 7 or 8."

Again he responds with a "Hmm," followed by a pause as he shakes his head. I was actually wondering if he thought my guess was due to vanity which confused me because I played pretty well.

Finally, he says, "your ball-striking? You're more like a 2, very solid. Your short game? Billy... you f@$&#¢g suck!!!"

LOL... funny and he was soooo right. He then spent some time with me at the range and practice green and helped me with techniques that I still use to this day. :)

As per seeing trouble, to this day I only acknowledge as he said to wrt strategy. Even very long carries over water, I just see the fairway.

Learn SPi and get a SeeMore.

Back