Curious ... how long did it take you to break 80 ?

Took me 20 years

5 or 6 years, probably 20-30 rounds per year.

took me about 5 years playing sporadically. and now I've lost it all. haha.

I'll let you know if I ever get there!!

Just under 2 years for me. I am not sure how many rounds I played in that time but that last year I practiced at least 5 times per week after work.

I picked up this crazy game about 5 years ago. It took me a little over 2 years to break 80.

I've taken golf serious for a couple years now. However this past season I took my game it another level. I broke 80 twice last summer but also increased the amount of golf in play by 2 fold over the past season.

Started playing when I was 7 and broke 80 for the first time at the age of 12

I started playing about 6 years ago. I started taking the game seriously for about 4 years. Broke 80 for the first time about 3 years ago.

I started playing when I was 57 and broke 80 this year when I was 63, 6 years.

started when I was 12 , broke 80 after 2 years, was 14 and shot 78, that was summer of 1975

started when I was 12 , broke 80 after 2 years, was 14 and shot 78, that was summer of 1975

Same with me, except it was 1979.

Started playing when I was 24. Currently 51 and trust me, the day I break 80 I will tell you all about it!! I've shot 81 many times but can't seem to make it happen. Once shot even par on the front nine (my only hole in one) but rain ended the round.

2015 is going to be the year!!!

I broke 80 a couple months ago, after about a yr of golfing. It was a course with a lower slope rating though.
The irony was that I've played much better golf. My putting and bump and run was on fire though.

But, truth be told, my work schedule affords me a lot of time to golf, and hit the range.
I probably hit as many balls over those first 12 months as a lot of people do in their first 10 years.

I find it amazing how many here have done it in a relatively short period of time. Just goes to show you how this place is not the norm yet is filled with many who are quite unique vs the golfing masses. The ratio of those doing this in a couple few/years or so is certainly going to be so much smaller vs the general golfing masses even if we only polled those who are avid players. I also find it amazing (even though a small percentage) how golf comes easier to so many people.

As for breaking 80, never yet. 82 is my PB and two 84's and its been well over two decades. Though I have to say as others mention, many years was very little and even at times no golf at all.

I find it amazing how many here have done it in a relatively short period of time. Just goes to show you how this place is not the norm yet is filled with many who are quite unique vs the golfing masses. The ratio of those doing this in a couple few/years or so is certainly going to be so much smaller vs the general golfing masses even if we only polled those who are avid players. I also find it amazing (even though a small percentage) how golf comes easier to so many people.

As for breaking 80, never yet. 82 is my PB and two 84's and its been well over two decades. Though I have to say as others mention, many years was very little and even at times no golf at all.
A big part comes down to time. Like the above poster mentioned. Thanks to being single with a great work schedule I played more in that first year than many golfers ever will.

I'm still trying. 86 is my best so far in 2 years of golf.

It took me probably about 4 or 5 years of playing before I actually broke 80. But it seemed like every time I did break 80, it was only by one stroke. I don't know how many times I shot 79 before I dropped down in the lower 70s. And while 79 is still a good score, I just couldn't get past that number for a while.

Same with me, except it was 1979.

wow - can't imagine breaking 80 when you were 12 or 14 years old like some guys here have. For those guys, I'm curious ~ how many rounds at such a young age you would have had under your belts ? Assume you guys played with your dad on weekends & even then, it's only a few dozen times a year - pretty remarkable to develop that amount of game at such a young age. I'm not doubting anybody, but having that much control over the finer points of the game required to break 80 is amazing !!

1 season of serious play and I broke 80. Golfed for 10 years with never really practicing till a year ago when I decided to get serious. After bout 20 rounds with real short game practice in between I was able to break 80.

Driving, putting, chipping, and wedges is what I worked most on.

In March I plan to break 70.

Yes, yes, yes! For golfers at any level, mastering the short game is the key to breaking through into the lower scores (90's, 80's, 70's and then 60's). I started golf at 12 and broke 80 within a year; but it was definitely because of my short game.

It took me probably about 4 or 5 years of playing before I actually broke 80. But it seemed like every time I did break 80, it was only by one stroke. I don't know how many times I shot 79 before I dropped down in the lower 70s. And while 79 is still a good score, I just couldn't get past that number for a while.

That seems to be the threshold for the next level, I gotta clean up those blow up holes and keep it consistent.

That seems to be the threshold for the next level, I gotta clean up those blow up holes and keep it consistent.

You might try what I used to do in Jr. and Sr. High School when I was trying to break 80 consistently.

I would treat an 18-hole round like 6 x 3-hole "mini-rounds". On each 3-hole stretch, I would try to shoot no worse than 1-over; that would equate to a 39-39=78. The beauty of it is that I wouldn't panic when I made a double or triple-bogey; I would just try to make it up on the other 3-hole stretches.

Plus, a big problem with trying to break 80 for the 1st time is that you will get nervous when you have a chance and blow up toward the end of the round. With the 6 x 3-hole "mini-rounds", I would shoot even or 1-under early on, and that would give me confidence on the next 3-hole stretch rather than get me nervous about my final score.

wow - can't imagine breaking 80 when you were 12 or 14 years old like some guys here have. For those guys, I'm curious ~ how many rounds at such a young age you would have had under your belts ? Assume you guys played with your dad on weekends & even then, it's only a few dozen times a year - pretty remarkable to develop that amount of game at such a young age. I'm not doubting anybody, but having that much control over the finer points of the game required to break 80 is amazing !!

first year I played about 10 times, started mid summer, second year played about 15 or so rounds. when I broke 80 I must have played about 15 rounds also. had lessons at the start of second year.

first year I played about 10 times, started mid summer, second year played about 15 or so rounds. when I broke 80 I must have played about 15 rounds also. had lessons at the start of second year.

Absolutely amazing - I've got ~450 rounds under my belt in a little over 4 years and still haven't done it. Just takes such a command of putting - gotta make practically all of them under 4 ft and lag putting/chipping has to be spot on (and of course, no OB tee shots). Its jaw dropping amazing to me what some people have done at such a young age ...

I think I was probably 35 when I first broke 80. Given that I started golfing when I was about 10, I'd have to say 25 years.

Back