THP versus Golfwrx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry,
That was my biggest problem was the fascination with "tour" gear. Tour players get fit for their gear and whatever works best is what they play (shaft wise). If a $10 shaft was the answer for them, that is what they would play, but some internet people assume that cost and rareness makes something work for them naturally. It kills me. And I agree, dont get me started on BSG.

I find that a lot of threads on GolfWRX I cant even comment in because its so technical that unless you are a total equipment geek you probably wont even know the differences or which is better.
I also agree that the facination with Hogan, the obession with "tour" gear and knowing what every pro has in their bag gets a tad bit annoying at times.

I hadn't thought of that until you said it, but it's true. That forum software isn't "pleasing to the eye."

I also thought of a couple of other things.

(1) there is a group of members that is unnaturally obsessed with Ben Hogan and his swing. At any given time, there are several threads on Hogan with at least one thread dissecting the most minute details of every move and spasm they've found in an old video in some apparent attempt to divine "Hogan's secret move". It's not annoying or anything. Just a little creepy.

(2) there are way too many people hung up on "tour" equipment and whether they have it based on a serial number, or whether it is more valuable or "better" than off the rack equipment. I attribute this phenomenon to the influx of members from the BSG site (don't even get me started on those guys.) Anyway, it's just annoying because you just want to tell them to quit worrying and go play golf.

EDIT: Those are really just pet peeves about certain topics rather than a criticism of the site itself. I fully admit that my annoyance with those topics is my problem and not one of the site.

He he. Both are very true. Of course, I belong to group number one. I even bought Mike Maves (i.e., Sevam's) internet book. And I read Fundamentals every day on the Metro going to work and home. I really heart Ben Hogan.

He he. Both are very true. Of course, I belong to group number one. I even bought Mike Maves (i.e., Sevam's) internet book. And I read Fundamentals every day on the Metro going to work and home. I really heart Ben Hogan.

I have (and read) 5 Fundamentals as well. It is the gold standard for teaching/learning the golf swing.

But some of those guys get really hostile if anyone disagrees with them. It's an odd little dynamic. They get SO detailed. I just can't imagine getting that technical with my swing. I have a hard enough time staying out of my own head as it is. Trying to implement some of the things they discuss (once you translate them) would cause me to swing like Charles Barkley. I might go insane(r).

I have (and read) 5 Fundamentals as well. It is the gold standard for teaching/learning the golf swing.

But some of those guys get really hostile if anyone disagrees with them. It's an odd little dynamic. They get SO detailed. I just can't imagine getting that technical with my swing. I have a hard enough time staying out of my own head as it is. Trying to implement some of the things they discuss (once you translate them) would cause me to swing like Charles Barkley. I might go insane(r).

Uh, Harry...

I hit their BST multiple times daily. Good stuff and sometimes good deals can be had. I also sell over there and just really started posting a couple months or so ago even tho' I've been a member for a while. There are some characters over ther for sure and sometimes just posting to start a flame war.

I find that a lot of threads on GolfWRX I cant even comment in because its so technical that unless you are a total equipment geek you probably wont even know the differences or which is better.
I also agree that the facination with Hogan, the obession with "tour" gear and knowing what every pro has in their bag gets a tad bit annoying at times.

Speaking of obession, what about when AK gets a new belt?? There is immediately someone or someones starting a thread where they can get one. The best of late was having the cuff of their pants notched with a "V." The general consensus on that one was that if you did it you were a real poseur because that's what tour pro do. You had to read it. It was a flame fest of hilarious proportions.

Speaking of obession, what about when AK gets a new belt?? There is immediately someone or someones starting a thread where they can get one. The best of late was having the cuff of their pants notched with a "V." The general consensus on that one was that if you did it you were a real poseur because that's what tour pro do. You had to read it. It was a flame fest of hilarious proportions.

The notch cuff pants thing is nothing new, although when I was over there, everyone wanted it.

The AK belt buckle thing is new though . . . and hilarious.

The one I loved was the post on wearing jeans on a golf course. I found it intriqing.I won't say more cause I don't know where you all stand on the subject.

The one I loved was the post on wearing jeans on a golf course. I found it intriqing.I won't say more cause I don't know where you all stand on the subject.

Yeah, that one is a staple on most golf forums, along with "should cargo shorts be allowed?" :D

And you don't have worry about expressing an opinion here. People may disagree, but they will do it with respect.

Spoiler

Or I will crush them like the girly-men that they are!
hansandfranzjpg.jpg

Well, they did get one picture of Justin Leonard. Thank god I know what the tour van looks like. [/sarcasm]

And the employees who work in them!

Don't get me wrong, I like the gear stuff too. I really dig looking at the bags and the new stuff that is only in the pros' bags and not on the shelf yet. But showing a bunch of clubs and bags with no context, no explanation, and no people . . . well, that's sorta like a thread called "Duke vs. North Carolina!!" and showing only pictures of the uniforms, basketballs, nets, and empty stadium seats.

In their defense, there are other threads with a few more players in them.

I hadn't thought of that until you said it, but it's true. That forum software isn't "pleasing to the eye."

I also thought of a couple of other things.

(1) there is a group of members that is unnaturally obsessed with Ben Hogan and his swing. At any given time, there are several threads on Hogan with at least one thread dissecting the most minute details of every move and spasm they've found in an old video in some apparent attempt to divine "Hogan's secret move". It's not annoying or anything. Just a little creepy.

(2) there are way too many people hung up on "tour" equipment and whether they have it based on a serial number, or whether it is more valuable or "better" than off the rack equipment. I attribute this phenomenon to the influx of members from the BSG site (don't even get me started on those guys.) Anyway, it's just annoying because you just want to tell them to quit worrying and go play golf.

EDIT: Those are really just pet peeves about certain topics rather than a criticism of the site itself. I fully admit that my annoyance with those topics is my problem and not one of the site.

Harry, you make some GREAT posts about WRX that i TOTALLY agree with. i feel EXACTLY the same way about those very same things you mentioned. good job!

Today reminded me of one more thing.

You absolutely CANNOT visit there on a tournament day unless you are watching live or don't care about the outcome. It's like there is a race to post a thread title that spoils it for anyone not watching live.

Thread titles from the time since the L.A. Open ended:
Spoiler

WHOA! Fred Couples just choked big on 18 at Riviera.
Another Great Phil Victory in the first 3 months of the year.
Northern Trust Open: Hollywood Ending For Mickelson

Last edited:

You absolutely CANNOT visit there on a tournament day unless you are watching live or don't care about the outcome. It's like there is a race to post a thread title that spoils it for anyone not watching live.

Oh no! It was on my DVR.... :blob: That's alright HL, I don't get too carried away about spoilers on PGA events -- but you might want to edit that post with spoiler tags for the same reason you mention.

Ditto, you just ruined it for me Harry, I was on the 17th.

Trying to be cheerier:

It didn't happen today, but when I googled some variant of golfwrx yesterday, this thread showed up as the third link on the list.

My inability to replicate that reminded me of yet another source of amusement for you, WSE. Don't know why I keep stumbling across things I think would be of interest to you, but here's another:

http://www.jir.com/

Well crap, I guess I don't have to worry about watching that tournament.:D

Trying to be cheerier:

It didn't happen today, but when I googled some variant of golfwrx yesterday, this thread showed up as the third link on the list.

My inability to replicate that reminded me of yet another source of amusement for you, WSE. Don't know why I keep stumbling across things I think would be of interest to you, but here's another:

http://www.jir.com/

Thanks, Claire. That link led my back to the spaghetti monster site, and this awesome bit of logical reasoning I had forgotten about:

You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.
piratesarecool4.gif

I minored in Russian history and always loved the article about predicting the next leader of the USSR/Russia based on location (face and top of head) and amount of hair. It was quite an equation, if I recall.

What can I say, WSE? You're easy.

Oh no! It was on my DVR.... :blob: That's alright HL, I don't get too carried away about spoilers on PGA events -- but you might want to edit that post with spoiler tags for the same reason you mention.

Ditto, you just ruined it for me Harry, I was on the 17th.

Well crap, I guess I don't have to worry about watching that tournament.:D

Oh my god I am a complete moron. :dohanim:

EDIT: Spoiler tags added to the previous post. I can't believe I did that and never even realized I was doing it. I'm so sorry to anyone who read it and hadn't seen the end yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back