Time For New Irons

Very cool CM. Look forward to the results.

Any updates CM?

Not too much to add really, I hit some Ping's yesterday at a course I normally play at and I know this may sound weird...but they just flew straight up in the air, very high launch. I seem to have a high ball flight with my irons anyway and these went a lot higher and I seemed to loose at least a clubs distance. I tried even hitting knock-down style shots and had a hard time keeping the flight low. I really felt the miss-hits more with these clubs for some reason, but not anything major, just didn't appeal to me like some of the other clubs I have hit. Hoping to meet my buddies today and try a Titelist set and a Nickent set at the range if the weather holds up.

Picking new irons is always fun. Good luck today and let us know what you end up getting.

Which PING's did you hit?

What shafts were in them?

If you're wanting a lower ball flight, you could look at the S57's with a KBS shaft http://www.kbshafts.com/kbs_tourseries.php, some Rifle Project X shafts http://www.royalprecision.com/precision_steel_projectx.html, or some Nippon 1150 Tour shafts http://www.nipponshaft.com/steel_1150gh_tour.html.

The stock AWT's and DG's will net you a much higher ball flight due to their lower kick point. I hit the ball pretty high a lot of the time too, and I spec'd the Nippon 950 GH in my irons. They're a pretty fantastic compromise I think.

It sounds like you're looking for something with a higher kick point, and all 3 that I put up are mid kick point, and if you get the stiff offering, they're very solid.

Yeah, this is a good read. Keep us in the loop.

Which PING's did you hit?

What shafts were in them?

If you're wanting a lower ball flight, you could look at the S57's with a KBS shaft http://www.kbshafts.com/kbs_tourseries.php, some Rifle Project X shafts http://www.royalprecision.com/precision_steel_projectx.html, or some Nippon 1150 Tour shafts http://www.nipponshaft.com/steel_1150gh_tour.html.

The stock AWT's and DG's will net you a much higher ball flight due to their lower kick point. I hit the ball pretty high a lot of the time too, and I spec'd the Nippon 950 GH in my irons. They're a pretty fantastic compromise I think.

It sounds like you're looking for something with a higher kick point, and all 3 that I put up are mid kick point, and if you get the stiff offering, they're very solid.

They were the 58's, I had to look every couple balls and see what club it was hitting, the 5 iron looked like my normal 7.

I have to admit, and this may be a bad thing.... I just never paid that much attention to shafts and such. I always just felt a connection to a set when demoing them. I went through the same thing last time around and ended up getting the least expensive set because they fit my eye right and gave me the best feel, and price wasn't a factor then. I couldn't tell you what shafts have been in any of my clubs outside of whether they were stiff or regular flex. I guess I need to do some homework....

I hear ya when it comes to shafts, I have no idea what shafts are in my irons. I've never been a golf gearhead, I'm trying to learn as much as I can before it's time for me to replace my irons. (I'm planning on playing them this year anyway).

I've built up clubs as an experiment a few times with different shafts.

Go to the store, and buy a handful of 7 iron heads (cheap ones) and stick different shafts in them.

The shaft is the engine, and where a HUGE amount of the 'feel' comes from with many irons. Sure, some are just junk to begin with, but for any decent head from a reputable manufacturer, a different shaft can give it an entirely different personality.

Then, you can look into flighted shafts.

I've built up clubs as an experiment a few times with different shafts.

Go to the store, and buy a handful of 7 iron heads (cheap ones) and stick different shafts in them.

The shaft is the engine, and where a HUGE amount of the 'feel' comes from with many irons. Sure, some are just junk to begin with, but for any decent head from a reputable manufacturer, a different shaft can give it an entirely different personality.

Then, you can look into flighted shafts.

totally agree with you on shafts.

I was always a S-300 shaft guy in my irons. But recently really growing to like the lighter Nipon shafts.

I was always a S-300 shaft guy in my irons. But recently really growing to like the lighter Nipon shafts.

I used the 1150 Pro GH (which is their heaviest shaft) and I still found them to be a tad bit light in my MacGregor Blades. I am a massive fan of Project X shafts, I had a set of 6.0's in my Titleist 735CM and they were super nice shafts.

I am actually contemplating switching out my DG in the Nickents for some PX. It's an expensive project but the shafts are just so nice! Unfortunately, I may not be able to track down Royal Precision ProX's... I have heard from some of my better friends that TT cut some corners when they bought out RP. If you notice, most of the PGA pro's still use the RP Matte shafts as supposed to the chromed out TT Pro X's

I used the 1150 Pro GH (which is their heaviest shaft) and I still found them to be a tad bit light in my MacGregor Blades. I am a massive fan of Project X shafts, I had a set of 6.0's in my Titleist 735CM and they were super nice shafts.

I am actually contemplating switching out my DG in the Nickents for some PX. It's an expensive project but the shafts are just so nice! Unfortunately, I may not be able to track down Royal Precision ProX's... I have heard from some of my better friends that TT cut some corners when they bought out RP. If you notice, most of the PGA pro's still use the RP Matte shafts as supposed to the chromed out TT Pro X's

DD, take a look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-PRECISION...911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318
are these the ones you are talking about? Proshopwarehouse has been blowing these out in all different flex's for around $100 for the entire set of 8 shafts for the past few months. the auction says
THESE ARE ORIGINAL ROYAL PRECISION PRODUCT....MANUFACTURED BEFORE THE TRUE TEMPER BUY OUT

they also sell them at a BUY IT NOW price for around $130 for the set of 8 in addition to the auctions

If you like a little heavier shaft, check out the offerings from KBS. Definitely heavier than Nippons.

It seems like all the Rifle shafts I've hit have been for someone with a much faster clubhead speed than I have, so I never really have developed much of an appreciation for them.

DD, take a look at these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-PRECISION...911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318
are these the ones you are talking about? Proshopwarehouse has been blowing these out in all different flex's for around $100 for the entire set of 8 shafts for the past few months. the auction says
THESE ARE ORIGINAL ROYAL PRECISION PRODUCT....MANUFACTURED BEFORE THE TRUE TEMPER BUY OUT

thanks! that is exactly what I am looking for! damn, ebay is blocked at work!

If you like a little heavier shaft, check out the offerings from KBS. Definitely heavier than Nippons.

It seems like all the Rifle shafts I've hit have been for someone with a much faster clubhead speed than I have, so I never really have developed much of an appreciation for them.

yeah, they are hot on tour now... expensive though

Lets get this one back on topic guys to Craigs irons

All sounds greek to me....hehe. I am pretty much at the point were I am close to pulling the trigger, I plan on spending some quality range time this week getting two or three sets down to one set and buying them, I'll keep everyone posted....

Try 57's with the KBS, honestly the KBS makes that head so much better. This isn't one rambling, but a large concensus of users I've come across.
(FYI, just pulled a set of the above off-topic matte finish Royal P PX shafts outta my Scratch heads and going to KBS!)

It may sound greek now CM, but it's info worth having. Else you're short-changing yourself on what could potentially be the greatest purchase of your life.

Take the time to try them out with various shafts, and learn (understand) what things like weight of a shaft can do to it's handling, as well as the kickpoint, and torque.

I believe in the gathering of knowledge, and in this instance, I encourage you to do the same.

Sure, you'll be excited about new irons, we all are. Thing is though, will you be excited about them in a year? 2? 5?

It may sound greek now CM, but it's info worth having. Else you're short-changing yourself on what could potentially be the greatest purchase of your life.

Take the time to try them out with various shafts, and learn (understand) what things like weight of a shaft can do to it's handling, as well as the kickpoint, and torque.

I believe in the gathering of knowledge, and in this instance, I encourage you to do the same.

Sure, you'll be excited about new irons, we all are. Thing is though, will you be excited about them in a year? 2? 5?

I hear ya Gummi, and it is great advice definitely. And no, I won't be happy with them in two years, but not for spec reasons:D

I have been checking the different shafts out more this time around than ever(which isn't saying a lot). I do know that I need a stiff shafted iron for sure, but I am not seeing much difference in the performance in trying different stiff shafts.

I hear ya Gummi, and it is great advice definitely. And no, I won't be happy with them in two years, but not for spec reasons:D

I have been checking the different shafts out more this time around than ever(which isn't saying a lot). I do know that I need a stiff shafted iron for sure, but I am not seeing much difference in the performance in trying different stiff shafts.

I am pretty impressed with how far fitting systems have come in recent years... 5 years ago Ping was one of the only brands who really had a comprehensive fitting cart. Now, all of the manufacturers (at least at major stores) have demo/fitting carts that also have interchangeable shaft technology... it's amazing

my local shop fits you on a launch monitor with the specific ball you use and a number of different steel shafts (DG, SL DG, sensicore, PX, Black Gold, Rifle) and the numbers just don't lie. I LOVE that system... 50 bizzles though so I don't get into it unless I am buying irons.

, I plan on spending some quality range time this week getting two or three sets down to one set and buying them, I'll keep everyone posted....

Does your range have irons to demo? Thats something were missing out here.

Does your range have irons to demo? Thats something were missing out here.

No, some of the time was spent in the simulators at the golf stores as noted in certain tests, and the rest of the demoing at the range was accomplished by having friends with certain sets loan me their clubs for testing purposes, and one range has the Ping fitting system, so it has involved me bumming clubs from friends and driving around to three different ranges and two different golf stores.

Back