2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait so are they good or bad hahahaha im skinny with no 6 pack
We will just go with "waiting to be introduced."

18 holes of golf and coming to lift after might have been a bit much on just a light lunch. I'm dying here. Almost done with presses.

18 holes of golf and coming to lift after might have been a bit much on just a light lunch. I'm dying here. Almost done with presses.
Oof yeah I'd need more fuel than that haha. I tried working out in the morning once and couldn't do it. I'm an after dinner guy

Think short term. This eating and training program is not a long term plan. Just two more weeks.

Think short term. This eating and training program is not a long term plan. Just two more weeks.
Got through presses which sucked as usual, but now I get to dead lift, so I'm good to go.

Hey Blu is being able to bench your weight as a beginner a good starting goal? Was thinking about this the other day, it's something I've never come close to doing but now am getting closer and closer

Just dead lifted 225. Woof. Now I need a shower and a hot meal.

Hey Blu is being able to bench your weight as a beginner a good starting goal? Was thinking about this the other day, it's something I've never come close to doing but now am getting closer and closer
In my opinion, as a fully capable adult male, to not be able to bench press your body weight is a decision to be weak.

Fact, a 340# guy who has asked my help in his training for Raw Nationals can't bench his body weight right now. He is at a point in his training were he should be benching more than 400#. I helped him program more volume into his training. He has hit rep PRs for three weeks straight. So, don't be ashamed you can't bench your body weight. Just do something about it!

In closing, benching your body weight is something you should be able to do. Deadlifting 2x your body is also a very easy and obtainable goal. It may take time, but it ain't hard.
Just dead lifted 225. Woof. Now I need a shower and a hot meal.
Hit all 5 at 225#? I'm happy for you brother. Keep it going. You're doing amazing stuff.

I deadlifted today and went for a new 1rm. It went VERY poorly. Felt a pop in my left glute. I'm pretty sure I pulled my arse muscle. Which is affecting my lumbar area and hamstring. Lots of Advil and ice in my future. Good news, it isn't affecting my rotational movement, so golf isn't out of the question.

In my opinion, as a fully capable adult male, to not be able to bench press your body weight is a decision to be weak.

Fact, a 340# guy who has asked my help in his training for Raw Nationals can't bench his body weight right now. He is at a point in his training were he should be benching more than 400#. I helped him program more volume into his training. He has hit rep PRs for three weeks straight. So, don't be ashamed you can't bench your body weight. Just do something about it!

In closing, benching your body weight is something you should be able to do. Deadlifting 2x your body is also a very easy and obtainable goal. It may take time, but it ain't hard.

Hit all 5 at 225#? I'm happy for you brother. Keep it going. You're doing amazing stuff.

I deadlifted today and went for a new 1rm. It went VERY poorly. Felt a pop in my left glute. I'm pretty sure I pulled my arse muscle. Which is affecting my lumbar area and hamstring. Lots of Advil and ice in my future. Good news, it isn't affecting my rotational movement, so golf isn't out of the question.
Gotcha. Now is this for people who work out or everyday people? Thinking about it now I dont know anyone who doesnt go to the gym that can bench anywhere near their weight, know what I mean? Im pretty happy seeing how fast things are progressing once I actually started haha.

Gotcha. Now is this for people who work out or everyday people? Thinking about it now I dont know anyone who doesnt go to the gym that can bench anywhere near their weight, know what I mean? Im pretty happy seeing how fast things are progressing once I actually started haha.

Both.

If you go to a gym where people who look like they've been there before, and they can't bench their body weight, thats sad. A body weight bench isn't something that an experienced lifter should be proud of.

You're not an experienced lifter. That's fine, you can get there if you choose. So, use a bodyweight bench as a great landmark. But, if I'm being honest, it isn't an accomplishment. Take pride in benching more than you ever have. but don't linger on it. 150% of your bodyweight, now we're talking.

Hey guys, please be aware, I may have taken too many Advil, if I'm blunter than usual, I've been drugged

Both.

If you go to a gym where people who look like they've been there before, and they can't bench their body weight, thats sad. A body weight bench isn't something that an experienced lifter should be proud of.

You're not an experienced lifter. That's fine, you can get there if you choose. So, use a bodyweight bench as a great landmark. But, if I'm being honest, it isn't an accomplishment. Take pride in benching more than you ever have. but don't linger on it. 150% of your bodyweight, now we're talking.
Totally see what you're saying, I still see it as an accomplishment as a newbie tho but that's only my initial goal. What seemed far fetched as someone who never worked out is very quickly becoming a reality so that's cool. I'll plan on hitting that and much more. Just gotta work at it! Now the 150% thing.......haha that's like 260 or something for me, now that would be something.

Totally see what you're saying, I still see it as an accomplishment as a newbie tho but that's only my initial goal. What seemed far fetched as someone who never worked out is very quickly becoming a reality so that's cool. I'll plan on hitting that and much more. Just gotta work at it! Now the 150% thing.......haha that's like 260 or something for me, now that would be something.

Be proud that you've put in the sweat equity ( I saw that often because I mean it). 260 ain't sh t. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Yeah, got all 5 @225. Felt really good. In fact, it feels like my grip strength will hold me back sooner than the big muscles will. I think I figured something out on presses too, I was lifting away from my body instead of straight up, creating too much leverage and kicking my own ass. When I stopped doing that, the last set was much easier. Squats kicked my butt today after golfing all day, could tell there wasn't as much in the tank as usual, got them all done, but man was it tougher than usual.

In response to your first part, that wasn't directed at me, a body weight bench would be a ton of fun for me, especially since I'm very far away from it (135 bench and 290 body weight), but I'm excited to think that's in my future as the bench goes up and the weight goes down, then we'll see how far I can take that.

I know there is a strict "gloves are for wimps" policy (Sorry Evok!), but what's the stance on straps, and when should I consider using them? Really only applies to DLs for me, but just curious.

I know there is a strict "gloves are for wimps" policy (Sorry Evok!), but what's the stance on straps, and when should I consider using them? Really only applies to DLs for me, but just curious.
Straps should be for when your grip is the limiting factor to making the lift. Part of the deadlift is training your grip. Only use them, if you absolutely have to, on your work sets. Now, there options. You can use an alternating grip for your work sets, or if you're really manly, a double overhand hook grip. I can't hook grip my deads. I use an alternating grip on my last few warmup sets and my work sets.

In my opinion, you should be able to deadlift 225 without straps, no problem. But everybody is different.

Straps should be for when your grip is the limiting factor to making the lift. Part of the deadlift is training your grip. Only use them, if you absolutely have to, on your work sets. Now, there options. You can use an alternating grip for your work sets, or if you're really manly, a double overhand hook grip. I can't hook grip my deads. I use an alternating grip on my last few warmup sets and my work sets.

In my opinion, you should be able to deadlift 225 without straps, no problem. But everybody is different.

I'm not saying I need them now, just trying to understand when I should consider switching grips or add straps, or just grip it like a man.

I'm not saying I need them now, just trying to understand when I should consider switching grips or add straps, or just grip it like a man.
If you can, stay double overhand until you can't anymore. Then alternate your grip. The biggest problem with alternating grip is one should is rotate different. If you're not competing, use straps until the last possible sets.

Anyone using the MyFitnessPal app? I'm using to track my food and make sure I eat enough to gain. It's got a barcode scanner and I just scan everything I've been eating and it puts it right in there for me haha it's pretty damn awesome

I'm pretty sure I pinched my sciatic nerve deadlifting yesterday .

Anyone using the MyFitnessPal app? I'm using to track my food and make sure I eat enough to gain. It's got a barcode scanner and I just scan everything I've been eating and it puts it right in there for me haha it's pretty damn awesome
Yeah, I use it to track my intake to make sure I don't gain... It really is a very robust all and has almost all the food I eat aside from some local stuff.
Dang man, that sucks. Is there anything you can do to treat it or just rest?

Yeah, I use it to track my intake to make sure I don't gain... It really is a very robust all and has almost all the food I eat aside from some local stuff.

Rest. And chiropractic visits. I need to get checked in general. I just need to find the one that isn't a sleazebag

I can't believe how easy it is haha my grocery store is Wegmans and it has everything I've scanned. I've been trying to just track roughly in my head but this is so much better.

Yikes dude that sucks!! Hopefully you can get it healed up, I heard that's really painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back