Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Long 3 Fairway - THP Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
After enjoying an extended testing of the EX9 fairway wood, I have the opportunity to consider the benefits and nuances of the "Long" 3 wood. Designed with what appears to be a deeper face, altered sole weight position, and relatively long Diamana S+ shaft, it will undoubtedly respond well to that strong 3 or driver replacement slot.

From Tour Edge

The EX9 Long 3 fairway wood features a deeper face for even greater spring-like effect. Combining a 185cc club head paired with a 43.5" shaft, the Long 3 delivers driver-like distance.

This distance weapon features a Beta titanium cup face which is combo-brazed to the hyper-steel body to produce the longest-hitting fairway wood in golf. Variable face thickness technology provides a powerful launch from more contact points on the face for explosive distance, even on off-center hits.

The club's design also features our SlipStream sole. Redesigned for the EX9 series, the ‘waves’ are shorter from front to back, dramatically reducing the amount of turf interaction – the result is a full-speed explosive impact.

Available in 13 and 15 degree heads, the EX9 Long fairway woods have an adjustable hosel system. The newly designed hosel allows players to change launch conditions using eight settings to add or subtract loft. Players dial-in the setting that fits their swing and achieves their desired ball flight.

The EX9 Long includes a 9-gram center changeable weight insert to produce a powerful, penetrating ball flight. The weight screw is adjustable and additional weights can be purchased as a kit or individually. The kit includes 6-gram, 11-gram and 14-gram weights to increase or decrease the swing weight.

• Beta titanium cup face combo-brazed to a hyper steel body
  • Redesigned SlipStream sole reduces turf interaction
  • Variable face thickness delivers exceptional power from more contact points on the face
  • Interchangeable sole weight kit can be purchased to adjust swingweight and draw enhancement

techlayer.jpg

perflayer.jpg

In Hand Photos

0225161630a-XL.jpg

0225161631c-XL.jpg

0225161631f-XL.jpg

0225161631g-XL.jpg

0225161633a-XL.jpg

0225161629b-XL.jpg

0225161629d-XL.jpg

0225161632b-XL.jpg

0225161632c-XL.jpg

0225161633-XL.jpg

0225161634-XL.jpg

excited to hear your thoughts on this one. Was hoping we'd end up getting one in. I'm a fan of this style of club

I've been hoping we would see a club like this out of TEE for some time now.

Killer photos Dan. I've wondered about this slip stream sole but haven't had a chance to try. Being one that plays a 11* mini driver I always perk at something like this.

Since that sole is designed to enhance turf interaction (glide), I'm really curious to see how that works with a 13* head since I don't hit my mini off the deck.

excited to hear your thoughts on this one. Was hoping we'd end up getting one in. I'm a fan of this style of club

I actually had a chance to get it out on course this weekend and had some mixed emotions about the total profile. It's fairly deep at address compared to what I traditionally play, which I thought boasts a ton of confidence as a driver replacement, but also shies a bit from taking it off the deck from long range.

With that in mind, the results on the tee were really strong. Mostly straight with some draws built into it. What I find most interesting beyond the face depth is the change from a heel sided weight of the EX9 to a more forward, centralized weight in the long which i would assume neutralizes the intended path while moving the CG forward and low.

prodbig.jpg

prodbig.jpg

With Ping producing a similar club and with Minis now on the market, I'm really interested in your thoughts on this one, Dan. I am a bit surprised by the 185cc head. I thought they might venture into Mini territory in terms of size.

With Ping producing a similar club and with Minis now on the market, I'm really interested in your thoughts on this one, Dan. I am a bit surprised by the 185cc head. I thought they might venture into Mini territory in terms of size.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 50cc smaller than the Big Bertha Mini. I'll be interested in the reviews, but this is a big boy club, and therefore not for me.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 50cc smaller than the Big Bertha Mini. I'll be interested in the reviews, but this is a big boy club, and therefore not for me.

I would love to see TEE produce as Mini driver as they've been making great fairways for a good while now.

Have enjoyed their 3w will be a good follow.

I've been looking forward to this one for a while, I'm semi in the market for a new 3 wood so I'll definitely be following along! Better turf interaction is definitely something I could benefit from, can't wait to see how this one works for you!

Can't wait to hear how it works as a driver replacement Dan, love those stock options on shaft, grip and nice head cover

If it weren't for THP, I wouldn't know anything more about clubs than those at the local golf store. This is a great review and makes it's way into my "pondering equipment" file.

Looking forward to learn more about this club.

Can't wait to hear how it works as a driver replacement Dan, love those stock options on shaft, grip and nice head cover

The Tour Edge'y UTx is pretty awesome, with the red cord. Great added touch!

Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Long 3 Fairway - THP Review

IMO once you hit a TEE fairway wood, you'll never back to anything else. They are that good. The ball just screams off of the face. And a lifetime warranty to boot. I'm fortunate in that I live close to TEE HQ, so I get to try all of their clubs AR Demo Days. I bag 2 TEE FWs and 2 TEE hybrids.

Solid review here Dan. Being a fan of another competitor and the low lofted options stopping just short of driver loft. If at 13* this can give "driver like" distances while also being playable well from the fariway with the slip stream sole then that is very impressive as many of these "driver like" clubs aren't designed to be hit off the deck. Love more options for sure.

Great Review Dan. I've made it a habit to have a Deep version of a FW in the bag the past few years. This sounds very similar. I'm going to be looking at demo days to give this a look. Thanks for the review.

Sounds like a great club! Nice write up Dan!! A long 3 wood that could replace my driver is a new option. Lots of new tech in this offering by Tour Edge

Great review buddy! I bet I can pound this off the tee but not sure if I could fit it in the bag without pulling driver

They make very underrated FW's IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job Dan. The driver like distances are intriguing as I tinker with top of the bag setup and look for another tee option for shorter holes.

Cool there are so many stock shaft offerings, love seeing companies give options!

Having a mini in the bag now, I've been waiting for this one.

Back