The 2015 Grandaddy Live Update Thread - The Golf Trip Of A Lifetime

Weird...i thought everyone on thp was a great putter :)

Solid insight Harry...totally agree with your par/bogey sentiments

I'm willing to bet more than half of us have never rolled a putt on greens like that. It's no excuse, but it was a factor for sure. Especially Tuesday

What a great event Grandaddy 3.0 was! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting every person from the THP team. It definitely lived up to the spirit and vision we created together for what we wanted the event to be. The results are absolutely unimportant. As I said to Phil and Nate (Rallo) on day one, nobody remembers who played well and who didn't. The goal each and every year is to try to create a golf experience that nobody could possibly have anywhere else. From the products each participant gets, to the interaction and camaraderie, to the hospitality shown by the Hideway and its staff, to the golf courses, we hope to create a memory that each person can cherish for the rest of their lives. I mean that literally. The competition is only there to help foster teamwork and make it fun for the two days we are in the desert. But it shouldn't have an impact on how much fun people have at all. If that ever becomes the thing that is emphasized most, then we should stop doing it.

I'm pleased Team THP had such a memorable time. That is exactly why we do this event. It's also a great time for the Zoocrew to get together and bond, just like Team THP does. We also love interacting and sharing this experience with you all. That's what it's all about. The competition is meaningless, actually.

So glasses raised to Team THP! You guys are awesome and are what make golf so fun and this event so special. I wish I could have had the chance to play with everyone, because my rounds with Phil, Nate, Thomas (Big Leish), Taylor, Matt, and James were so fun.

I can't wait to tee it up again at Grandaddy 4. FOUR!!! The THP group has a really high bar to cross because Team Redemption were some of the best people you could hope to meet.

This is so awesome.

Can't wait to see it unfold live.

You the man Harry! I had an excellent time getting taken to the woodshed by the zoocrew! Every member of the zoocrew and all its vice captains are amazing. It can't be said enough, but thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sent from my Verizon iPhone using Tapatalk

Great posts and advice Harry!

This is so awesome.

Can't wait to see it unfold live.

And I hope I'm right there with you! Harry's comments are invaluable and well received.

Great post Harry! You've said it now for a few years, it all comes down to putting...

Great words of wisdom and advice Harry! Truly enjoyed following along!

Hats off to the entire Callaway and THP crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and since you guys are asking what it takes to perform your very best at an event like this, I offer these words of advice. Take them for what you will. It's only my opinion and that's only worth whatever you think it's worth (I'm 5-0 in these events overall, have a career Grandaddy record of 7-1-1, and a singles record of 3-0, but who's counting? :act-up:)

The key to these events in match play is understanding that par is always a great score and bogey usually won't hurt you.

So, how does that play out?

When you're on the tee, play away from the trouble and play to your miss. Example of this is #1 on the Clive course. It's a relatively short par 5. It's reachable in two with a good drive and second shot, but generally plays as a 3 shot hole. On the tee, ALL the trouble is left. There are bunkers on the right that are in play off the tee, but even if you hit the ball in there you can still lay up easily and make a 5. Left is dead. So, you should always favor the right side. Hit a good drive and miss the bunkers, and you're hitting a hybrid or long iron onto the green or near it. Miss left, and you're making a double. Go right!! So many players hit it left and out of bounds, even though there was a gazillion yards right.

The other thing I would say, by in large, is the players from team THP really struggled with their speeds on the greens. A lot of holes were given away with 3 putts. Speed is so much more important than the line.

And last, for team THP next year, don't fixate on driving or iron play. This event always comes down to who putts better and who can get it up and down more. Team THP and the ZooCrew were only separated by one or two GIR per 9 holes. But ZooCrew were much better on the greens and with the short game.
This really makes a lot of sense and I should probably take this advice and apply it to my own game next year. Pars are good baby! Thanks Harry!

and that is a good thing. Passion must be part of our lives. Passion for your family, passion for your work, and even passion for your golf. Without it ...meh.

What a great event Grandaddy 3.0 was! I thoroughly enjoyed meeting every person from the THP team. It definitely lived up to the spirit and vision we created together for what we wanted the event to be. The results are absolutely unimportant. As I said to Phil and Nate (Rallo) on day one, nobody remembers who played well and who didn't. The goal each and every year is to try to create a golf experience that nobody could possibly have anywhere else. From the products each participant gets, to the interaction and camaraderie, to the hospitality shown by the Hideway and its staff, to the golf courses, we hope to create a memory that each person can cherish for the rest of their lives. I mean that literally. The competition is only there to help foster teamwork and make it fun for the two days we are in the desert. But it shouldn't have an impact on how much fun people have at all. If that ever becomes the thing that is emphasized most, then we should stop doing it.

I'm pleased Team THP had such a memorable time. That is exactly why we do this event. It's also a great time for the Zoocrew to get together and bond, just like Team THP does. We also love interacting and sharing this experience with you all. That's what it's all about. The competition is meaningless, actually.

So glasses raised to Team THP! You guys are awesome and are what make golf so fun and this event so special. I wish I could have had the chance to play with everyone, because my rounds with Phil, Nate, Thomas (Big Leish), Taylor, Matt, and James were so fun.

I can't wait to tee it up again at Grandaddy 4. FOUR!!! The THP group has a really high bar to cross because Team Redemption were some of the best people you could hope to meet.

Harry... :clapp::clapp::clapp:

That is a fantastic post, and I can't thank you enough for articulating so well what we've all been trying to say. From my perspective, you have absolutely hit your mark for what you want this event to be, and I know you guys will continue to improve it year after year, though honestly I'm not sure how you can because it was absolutely perfect this year (same gets said every single year and then you top it).

Love
This
Thread!

Thank you for the helpful tips Harry, as well as the kind words about this years team.
Hopefully your family (ZooCrew and at home) have a safe and joyous holiday season.

I just wanted to put some thoughts down really quick about this year's Grandaddy.

First off, as one of the original members of the Grandaddy family, you guys absolutely killed it this year! From everything leading up to the event and the whole time there, you guys killed it. It was so fun to follow along and bring back all the amazing memories I created out there. And the swag was just incredible and keeps getting more amazing. But I digress...

As to what Harry said before, never have truer words been spoken. I didn't get to share a round with him, but did spend some time with him at dinner and he is one of the nicest and most genuine people you will ever meet. It's true though, the ZC could care less who wins or loses. they are out there just to have a great time as well and enjoy themselves as much as we do. I was incredibly blessed to be apart of the first one and from day one Callaway embraced this event as much as THP and it showed. And each year THP keeps showing Callaway why they should keep bringing this event back.

As to the best way to play well, again Harry is right, just try and make par. The Hideaway is incredibly picturesque and can get you sucked into the beauty and forget that you are playing golf. But the biggest thing is short game, short game, short game. the greens are immaculate and roll so true, it's hard to smooth out your putting stroke quickly to keep yourself around the hole. So to those in next year's event, head to the putting green as fast as you can and get used to the greens as fast as you can. Your driver and iron swings will be there, so don't worry about that.

Those are just a few thoughts from me and I can't wait to see what next year holds!

^^^ Very good post. The driver and woods and irons will be there. Face it. Your getting fit to the best equipment available by the best fitters in the business. What you get will work for you. But when it comes to the greens, your on your own. Find a course that rolls their greens. If you have the time and pace isn't an issue, drop an extra ball on the green and give yourself hard putts. Putting will make or break you. Our team lost five matches in the first two matches 1dn. 1 hole stopped us from really making things interesting Wednesday afternoon. And I'm willing to bet in every one of those matches there were putts to change that outcome

^^^ Very good post. The driver and woods and irons will be there. Face it. Your getting fit to the best equipment available by the best fitters in the business. What you get will work for you. But when it comes to the greens, your on your own. Find a course that rolls their greens. If you have the time and pace isn't an issue, drop an extra ball on the green and give yourself hard putts. Putting will make or break you. Our team lost five matches in the first two matches 1dn. 1 hole stopped us from really making things interesting Wednesday afternoon. And I'm willing to bet in every one of those matches there were putts to change that outcome

To add to this, practice your tail off on putts 10' and in. I made this my mission when getting ready and it showed in the event. I didn't miss a putt inside of 8' feet no matter the situation. It was great validation when Ethan, Scotty & DNevs all commented on how well I was putting.

To add to this, practice your tail off on putts 10' and in. I made this my mission when getting ready and it showed in the event. I didn't miss a putt inside of 8' feet no matter the situation. It was great validation when Ethan, Scotty & DNevs all commented on how well I was putting.

#PlumBob

Lost my two coins I bought in the clubhouse. I might cry.

Lost my two coins I bought in the clubhouse. I might cry.
That hurts. Good thing you know a guy going back next year.

That hurts. Good thing you know a guy going back next year.
Its not the same. Its truly not. These were the ONE thing I had as must buy items for this trip.

Its not the same. Its truly not. These were the ONE thing I had as must buy items for this trip.
I know it's not the same brother, but if you call out there they will take good care of you.

It's so cool seeing everyone work together and give advice for future teams.

You were very solid on all the short putts MikeG! Didn't see you miss one either day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back