Titleist AP1 Fake or not...

RKM25

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello,

UK here....

First post! hello all...

A little background, been playing a year or so... Really got the bug!! At the driving range pretty much every single lunchtime at work.
Currently playing a burrowed set of Titleist 704 CB, Love them! BUT... they are not mine, and as much as i like them, they are not very forgiving for myself at this time.

Now, i am looking at purchasing some second hand Titleist AP1 710, as im hoping they will have a similar feel(loosely speaking) with a little more forgiveness. Essentially i want the feedback, but a little less harsh on the wrists ahah.

The clubs i have found look good, and visually i cannot see any problem with them. But i am no titleist pro..

The seller has been brilliant with providing all information he can and sending me any photos i want, but still i am not sure.

Reasons being 1, he cannot find any serial numbers? 2, (this could be normal) The sticker says assembled in china, head china, shaft japan?

If you have some knowledge or insight or just thoughts on these please let me know.

Thanks!!

p.s. £120

http://imgur.com/a/YM0GF

Hopefully this is how you upload photos... new to this!
YM0GF

Last edited:
Any other pictures?

Those things look rough dude. I would not spend my cash on them.

JB - there are more photos, but the quality isn't as good!

War Eagle - do you think? I thought they didn't look to bad for the money... But I am new to this!

I second, third and fourth that comment. Those look like crap.

Always amazes me when people trying to sell something do not even bother cleaning those items up.

To the OP if you added UK / England etc in the title maybe some of the UK based members might be able to help you out. I think there are still a few left over there that haven't seen the light and left yet....

Yes, it is annoying! I've looked at several other Ap1's for about £70 more, and they are in similar if not worse condition. Aslong as they are not damaged to much, which they appear not, then I am happy.

Its more the authenticity of them that concerns me! the shaft sticker in particular...

I agree. Look at places like Callaway Preowned. They have all brands of clubs for sale.

Yes, it is annoying! I've looked at several other Ap1's for about £70 more, and they are in similar if not worse condition. Aslong as they are not damaged to much, which they appear not, then I am happy.

Its more the authenticity of them that concerns me! the shaft sticker in particular...

I think the shaft in those AP1s was a Nippon shaft, so Japan makes sense there. The PINGs I have came with a similar sticker (Assembled USA, Head Vietnam, Shaft Japan), so it's not out of the ordinary. But I'd agree that you might be able to find a better set (maybe even a 712 or 714) if you wait it out a bit.

I think the shaft in those AP1s was a Nippon shaft, so Japan makes sense there. The PINGs I have came with a similar sticker (Assembled USA, Head Vietnam, Shaft Japan), so it's not out of the ordinary. But I'd agree that you might be able to find a better set (maybe even a 712 or 714) if you wait it out a bit.

Thank you for your response!

It was more the Assembled in china that I found odd, as I thought they where assembled in the USA. But the shaft makes sense.

What is it that makes these such bad quality out of interest? Just from looking at these and comparing them to others(inless I spend an extra £100), look similar quality?

Cheers!

Thank you for your response!

It was more the Assembled in china that I found odd, as I thought they where assembled in the USA. But the shaft makes sense.

What is it that makes these such bad quality out of interest? Just from looking at these and comparing them to others(inless I spend an extra £100), look similar quality?

Cheers!

I think I had originally read your price wrong - that's around ~$230 US? That's not too bad, but they're now 6 or 7 year old clubs - have you seen any pictures of the grips? If those are old, you're probably going to have to get them regripped, and you're looking at $50 or so right there.

Something looks off about them, outside of the extreme wear - I'd walk away from this deal.

Hard to tell if they are worn or dirty.... my first impression? They just look like they need to be cleaned up... How about offering something less and trying to get them at a price where you feel it's fair? Like mentioned before, they are generations old already so finding mint sets can be tougher, but at the right price, I would just take a scrubbing pad and soap and water to those bad boys. Maybe since the seller has been communicating, see if they will clean them up before you spend your hard earned cash.

Is it just the irons, or is the putter and wood included too? I would say if it includes the putter and wood too, go for it. If it's just the irons, doesn't look like the full set in the photos so make sure you are getting at least 4 - pw. I'm am pretty sure my AP2's were assembled in China, so I wouldn't worry about that. Personally, I don't think 120 quid is too bad either, Titleist tend to hold their value pretty well. As someone else said, looks like they just need a clean up. At the end of the day, you always take a chance buying second hand, but you say this guy has been open. If you get the feeling the guy is genuine, that's always a good start. Plus, if you're buying off eBay, use PayPal to pay for them and protect yourself.

If it's just the irons it doesn't look great to me, although titleist of course make great clubs. Does it have to be titleist? If you are not being fitted would it be possible to go to a pro shop to see what they have traded in? The places I go around here normally have some decent sets. Are you having lessons? Maybe you could get advice that way? Good luck..

Have to agree with the others. There are plenty of newer options though a number of other outlets, like the Certified Pre-Owned sites that I think you'll get a better value for you're money. Plus, places like Callaway have a trade-in program which could help too. Trade in some of you're older stuff for credit towards the newer.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Yes it was a putter and a bag included. Its now been sold elsewhere now, which has made my life easier ;) the indecision should of warned me away from the start to be honest! But always one for a deal!! Plus i really like how my current clubs play, and hoped the AP1s would be easier whilst retaining the same feedback! there are some pro shops local to me, but nothing that they currently have stocked is jumping out at me.

I have come across a set of ping G2 irons 4 - SW locally for around £70, which im almost tempted to get as ive heard great things! but my pro whos teaching me is suggesting i stick to atleast the last 5/6 years....

To many choices, driving me mad ahah.

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Yes it was a putter and a bag included. Its now been sold elsewhere now, which has made my life easier ;) the indecision should of warned me away from the start to be honest! But always one for a deal!! Plus i really like how my current clubs play, and hoped the AP1s would be easier whilst retaining the same feedback! there are some pro shops local to me, but nothing that they currently have stocked is jumping out at me.

I have come across a set of ping G2 irons 4 - SW locally for around £70, which im almost tempted to get as ive heard great things! but my pro whos teaching me is suggesting i stick to atleast the last 5/6 years....

To many choices, driving me mad ahah.

Always go with your gut feeling. Glad you didn't get them. You'll know when the right deal comes along. Just be patient. I recommend CPO, they are certified and offer 90 day returns.

Also as you can see, a lot of good info on this site. Good luck with your search.

Back