Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

Is anybody seeing this club new for anything less than $299? Given that the F5 has been out for a month or more now I thought we would be seeing some movement here. I had thought about picking up a gently used one on eBay, 2nd Swing, etc., but I've got a $100 gift card to my local golf store so I keep hoping for a retail price drop. Luckily (or unluckily) I've got a surgery on Monday that will keep me from swinging a club for a couple of weeks, but after that I'm going to be itching to put a new driver in the bag, and I'd really like it to be this one.
I believe the D200 is still current product line so it stands to reason the price hasn't dipped too much.

My friend here who is a golf instructor at a local community college here was paying with a D200 a few days ago. He was hitting it straight and long. I hit it on a few holes and really was disappointed. I don't know if it was the light weight, shaft (probably) or what but I couldn't hit it straight, just a slight to a pronounced fade all of the time. I play to a regular flex and so was this club. I would like to try this in a stiff flex....somehow.

I believe the D200 is still current product line so it stands to reason the price hasn't dipped too much.

Yes. I would expect to see this price through the current season and look for information on its successor in the fall timeframe. I suspect it may be a topic of discussion for the THPers fortunate enough to be chosen for the Wilson Staff event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very tempted. Has anyone compared the D200 to a G30? I love my G30 for its forgiveness and this seems like it would be a great compliment / alternative.

I'm very tempted. Has anyone compared the D200 to a G30? I love my G30 for its forgiveness and this seems like it would be a great compliment / alternative.

I absolutely have. The sound between the two could not be more different. D200 sound is pretty addictive. The D200 is a bit more spinny for my swing, but they are two of the most forgiving drivers I have played.

I've had a few range sessions with this club now. It's long and forgiving. Great club.

My 9* just came in today after a purchase from the Marketplace - of course, on a day that we got 6 inches of snow. May try to take it to the dome this weekend.

My 9* just came in today after a purchase from the Marketplace - of course, on a day that we got 6 inches of snow. May try to take it to the dome this weekend.

Got there in one piece? One day delivery. Hope you enjoy it and hit'em straight.

Had this out at the dome for the first time a couple nights ago - I'm loving everything about this club. Someone in this thread described the launch as a slow rise that just keeps going, and I think that's very accurate. I ended up with the head on the 9* draw setting, not because it really gives me much of a draw but because it makes it pretty much impossible to lose the ball out to the right, meaning I can really let myself try to get after it for a few extra yards. If you're a mid or high handicapper that's looking for a little more pop off the tee and a whole lot more forgiveness and consistency, you may be doing yourself a great disservice if you haven't given this club a look.

Another round with the D200

Another round with the D200

I realize that this thread has become a bit dated but I wanted to add a few comments for those of you still reading it.

I purchased my D200 driver last year and had some good and bad days with it. I went back to bagging my SLDR the latter part of the year and even though it didn't improve my game much, I just stuck with it because I fell into that "brand snobbery" trap.

Now with a new golf season here in NC, I recently attended a Wilson Staff demo day at a nearby golf course. They had the WS rep and the local golf teaching pro with all of the latest clubs including the F5 series and the new C200 irons. But that's another subject. They set up a Trackman on the driving range and I hit both my SLDR and D200. What an education! The local golf pro looked at the numbers and put a senior flex Elements Chrome in my D200 which I had originally purchased with a regular flex stock shaft. He also tweaked the loft up a degree and recommended NOT to over swing, which I had been doing. And my love affair with the D200 was back again. The D200 was 200% more consistent than the SLDR....duh!

I bought the senior flex shaft from him and took my newly renovated D200 on the course yesterday. There were a couple bad fades (almost slices) but that was indian, not arrow.
On the majority of the holes it was rock solid when I focused on a smoother slower tempo. Like everyone has said here, it's definitely a fairway finder. Just don't try to kill the ball.
On the 18th hole on this course that I am quite familiar with, I hit the longest drive I have ever hit on that hole and there was even into a moderate headwind.

Now the D200 stays in the bag and I just need to spend more time with it. And oh yes, I just listed the my SLDR's for sale on Ebay.

BTW.....the C200's are awesome irons!

While I do not play this driver every time out, I always enjoy hitting it! It is by far the longest driver I have hit.
Glad your experience was a good one at the demo day! It is always nice finding a head/shaft combo that works well!!

RJS622 - I'm glad for you that you got a really good fitting, have a set up that you know fits you and most importantly, you can remove any doubt from your mind whether it's the right club for you. Might want try selling the SLDR on the THP Marketplace, items move pretty fast there.

Thanks

Thanks

RJS622 - I'm glad for you that you got a really good fitting, have a set up that you know fits you and most importantly, you can remove any doubt from your mind whether it's the right club for you. Might want try selling the SLDR on the THP Marketplace, items move pretty fast there.

Thanks Mark, I'll look into that.

Thanks for your posts on this thread...

Thanks for your posts on this thread...

While I do not play this driver every time out, I always enjoy hitting it! It is by far the longest driver I have hit.
Glad your experience was a good one at the demo day! It is always nice finding a head/shaft combo that works well!!

Spivey,
Thanks for your posts on this thread. By reading your comments and the comments form others about the D200 it maintained my interest long enough to get that fitting and thus giving it more time like I need to.

If anyone ever stumbles across or has an extra D200 driver adapter let me know. I'd like to get mine up and running again.

D200 adapter

D200 adapter

If anyone ever stumbles across or has an extra D200 driver adapter let me know. I'd like to get mine up and running again.

Great question. I would like to purchase one as well. Eventually I guess I'll probably need to call Wilson to purchase one.
Has anyone here ever done that and what is the cost?

Yeah, you gotta get that adapter fixed.

Yeah, you gotta get that adapter fixed.
I've looked everywhere I know to look and come up dry so far. Such a great head here, and there's a little experiment I want to do with it.

I've looked everywhere I know to look and come up dry so far. Such a great head here, and there's a little experiment I want to do with it.
I haven't seen them anywhere, either. I would hope you could get one from W/S. Maybe I'll give them a call on Monday.

So I looked and couldn't find a separate thread on the D200 fairway woods...what are everyone's thoughts on these? Carl's Golfland just dropped the price on these and I was thinking about going over and swinging them today.

So I looked and couldn't find a separate thread on the D200 fairway woods...what are everyone's thoughts on these? Carl's Golfland just dropped the price on these and I was thinking about going over and swinging them today.

I have enjoyed the 3 wood, but with a non-stock shaft. I did a comparison of one with the stock shaft and the shaft I have (Aldila Tour Blue), and it was a much better combination with the Tour Blue. Pretty good tee club alternative, for shorter Par 4s, and better-than-average off the deck (for me, anyway). It also has a nice sound at contact, if that matters to you.

I really like the D200 5 wood, but as Rambler said the stock shaft has to go. I have the Tour Blue 65 in mine and it's a really nice option off the tee and the deck.
No adjustability means that you must make sure the distance it gives you fits in your gapping perfectly.

D200 Fairway woods

D200 Fairway woods

I have played the 3 wood for the last two rounds and I love it. I'm a high capper and don't really change the stock all shafts that much. I have the stock Elements Chrome Reg flex in my D200 3 wood and it works very well f or me. Hit it solid and it sounds great and launches like a rocket. It's one of the only 3 woods that I have played in which I have confidence to hit it off the deck. I've had a number of TM 3 woods that were just too finicky for a good shot.

I'm considering a 5 wood OR maybe a couple D200 hybrids. I hear good things about the D200 hybos.

I have played the 3 wood for the last two rounds and I love it. I'm a high capper and don't really change the stock all shafts that much. I have the stock Elements Chrome Reg flex in my D200 3 wood and it works very well f or me. Hit it solid and it sounds great and launches like a rocket. It's one of the only 3 woods that I have played in which I have confidence to hit it off the deck. I've had a number of TM 3 woods that were just too finicky for a good shot.

I'm considering a 5 wood OR maybe a couple D200 hybrids. I hear good things about the D200 hybos.

I have the 3 and 4 hybrids. They are beasts.

Back