The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I have a question for the previous Grandaddy participants (and perhaps this has been covered already, so I apologize if that's the case) -- having played the courses, what do you say to someone who says "I am going to play the two courses at the Hideaway, any advice?" I am curious to hear thoughts from a strictly golf perspective, putting aside the entire "experience" side of things for a moment...

Our Grandaddy Alum have been killing it in this thread from the get go, and I love when they get even more questions!

#TeamRedemption wants the belt and the THP community has been helping us the whole way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a question for the previous Grandaddy participants (and perhaps this has been covered already, so I apologize if that's the case) -- having played the courses, what do you say to someone who says "I am going to play the two courses at the Hideaway, any advice?" I am curious to hear thoughts from a strictly golf perspective, putting aside the entire "experience" side of things for a moment...

The advice I would offer for those courses is to do your best to avoid the bunkers. The bunkers are deep, powdery and the pin is often short sided to the bunker. Very little good comes from that combo.

The greens roll very true and your caddie is usually very good at reading them. If you question your read, ask them!

These are 2 of the most beautiful courses you will ever play, take in the beautiful scenery but don't get lost in it.
Dye is a tricky SOB Listen to your forecaddie's advice.
Hit the fairway.

Have a bloody mary, you wont be sorry.
Stop at a comfort station. Trust me.

Having seen the play, I'd say keep it in front of you. You can't win a hole if your opponent just plays it better than you did. You can lose a hole though if you gift it to your opponent by putting yourself in jail right from the get go.

Oh.. And have fun. That would be one of the bigger things to hammer in. Easier to stay in the moment when you realize how awesome the opportunity you're experiencing is.

I've talked a lot about this with current team members and unfortunately, I have very little to offer. Some previous participants can see a picture from any tee box and know instantly what course and what hole. I look at them and think "I played there…"

The rough is penal, but I wouldn't feel right playing a course that wasn't like that (ha…HA). On the Dye course, do everything possible to stay out of the fairway bunkers. We saw quite a few of those in our foursome on day 2, and I can't think of one positive outcome. Part of me wants to say that there is more room to miss long than short (except on par 3s where short is dead), yet I don't know if that is consistent or if I just remember a shot or two. I feel like most of the fairways are right in front of your eyes from the tee box, and it's the approach where blind shots may creep in.

Above all else, talk to the fore caddie. Lean on them, I found them more than willing to help. They will also read greens, but what they won't read is your adrenaline. If they tell you a ball outside right on the first few holes…play it just inside of that because they're nowhere near as jacked up as you'll be.

The comfort stations are incredible, but be sensible. If you are used to crushing three Snickers and a can of Gatorade every three holes, go for it. If not, grab a water, a little granola for some energy, and get back to kicking ZooCrew tail on the course.

I've talked a lot about this with current team members and unfortunately, I have very little to offer. Some previous participants can see a picture from any tee box and know instantly what course and what hole. I look at them and think "I played there…"

I'm with you on this 100% Pete. I wish I could remember hole by hole like some others can... I have no clue lol

Maybe I am confused here, what did we drop on formats last year, were they not the same as the year before?

Was just re-reading the 2014 thread (yes, the whole thing, the day before a holiday at school the kids are useless) and saw when you verified formats was all. Wasn't year one Best Ball for 18 and Pinehurst for 18 then last year we got a little shamble action? Really was just curious to see if there were any big changes this go around.

Love love love reading all these thoughts from the alum's!

Look what I found sitting on my desk!
d94d9846c835b9da62afc375b4c0371f.jpg

The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

Love love love reading all these thoughts from the alum's!

Agreed. Some really good stuff, and people have some good memories for only playing it for a couple of days a year ago. I think these are a couple of courses that just get burned into your brain.

Looking nice and shiny. Thanks for keeping it in good condition for us :)

Such a thing of beauty! Let me tell you that belt is no joke, its as real as real can be and its heavier than it looks!

Hit fairways, pay attention and don't short side yourself, attack the par 5's, don't miss the greens on the 3's, and take your time putting.

Had to get creative for granddaddy prep with the snow situation, but I got 36 holes... 18 at St. Andrews 'old course' and 18 a Kapalua 'plantation course'. The simulator left a little to be desired, but my buddy and I had a blast. The big takeaway today was momentum.... fell 3 behind after 4, but got hot the back 9 and ended up closing it out on 17.

Then I went to golf USA and finally tried out the Great Big Bertha, Apex CF16 Irons, and Odyssey works putters. I'll expand more in the appropriate threads, but WOW! HOLY BERTHA! The forgiveness and distance gushing is real!

Was just re-reading the 2014 thread (yes, the whole thing, the day before a holiday at school the kids are useless) and saw when you verified formats was all. Wasn't year one Best Ball for 18 and Pinehurst for 18 then last year we got a little shamble action? Really was just curious to see if there were any big changes this go around.

We were intending to play 36 the first year but that was aggressive and the frost delay changed that. With that experience we changed to 27 holes and three formats last year. Counted that more as a reality rather than "a hammer".

So, to confirm, we will play (3) 9 hole matches the first day (Shamble, Best Ball and Pinehurst) on day one and then Singles on day two. Same as last year.

Big day for Zoo Crew prep for The Grandaddy today. A few of the highlights:

-AJ helping to train a new fitter - he proved to be a good test!
-I was able to participate in a Velardo "Stripe Show" - it was inspiring
-Lots of goodies started to come in - Exciting stuff

Hope every has a good Thanksgiving.

Big day for Zoo Crew prep for The Grandaddy today. A few of the highlights:

-AJ helping to train a new fitter - he proved to be a good test!
-I was able to participate in a Velardo "Stripe Show" - it was inspiring
-Lots of goodies started to come in - Exciting stuff

Hope every has a good Thanksgiving.

Add'l highlight - of our 8 range-based competitions, it was an even spread of winners....a lot of depth on team #ZooCrew

Add'l highlight - of our 8 range-based competitions, it was an even spread of winners....a lot of depth on team #ZooCrew

And I also learned that Velardo is not the best judge of what shot is closer - warning if your partner in the Shamble!

Rough is the toughest I've ever played from. Be realistic with how far you can advance the ball from it and be very careful if trying to carry hazards.

Or better yet, don't miss the fairway. By far and away the rough is the biggest thing that posed me serious challenges when I missed the FW.

Rough is the toughest I've ever played from. Be realistic with how far you can advance the ball from it and be very careful if trying to carry hazards.

Or better yet, don't miss the fairway. By far and away the rough is the biggest thing that posed me serious challenges when I missed the FW.

You are the second or third person to mention this and I can honestly say that I didnt remember it being that penal.

Finley,
You have played here more than all of us. How penal is the rough? Am I just remembering it really wrong?

Keep the ball in front of you.
Play the par 3s to the center of the green instead of pin hunting.

And two different ones.
For AJ - Please hurry
For me - Get the ****ing ball to the hole.

How can I hurry when you're complaining about a *VERY SERIOUS* wrist injury?

You are the second or third person to mention this and I can honestly say that I didnt remember it being that penal.

Finley,
You have played here more than all of us. How penal is the rough? Am I just remembering it really wrong?

I don't recall any rough

How can I hurry when you're complaining about a *VERY SERIOUS* wrist injury?

You mean on hole 16? You can ask any member of your own team about your "speed" and they all say the same thing.
It starts with a "groan, sigh" and then "Gawd he is slow".

Hell I think after you hit one off the planet on number one, we made it to number 2 about 42 minutes later after your man hunt took place. No wonder Finley was taken out of his game. You slow played your own cart partner.
:act-up:

Finley,

Kidding aside, I do not find it that penal at all and it is lush and consistent when there is rough, nothing crazy for sure and the way I hit it last year, I did try hard to find it.

All I can recall from last year is the Desert being a problem for you.

Back