Best Camcorder??? / Flip

White Rhino

SANDBAGGER!!!!!!!
Reaction score
I am in the market for a camcorder and am not sure what are the best ones out there or frankly what I shuld be looking when comparing. I don't need anything too extravigent, not looking to make the next feature film, just want something basic and simple to use but still records well and can playback on multiple options(DVD player, computer etc.) . Any thoughts???

Also I have been seening commercials for this "Flip" recorder. I am considering getting this to use on the range/course as it is compact and seems easy to use. Anyone have ideas on this?

We looked at this very thing a few months ago and researched this for months. What we learned is that we wanted a product with a glass lense and not a plastic one. In the end we went with a Samsung HD camera. Got it on sale for less than $400. They are as low as $200 now on clearance places. Fits in my palm, does HD video, does it on a hard drive and the quality blew away the Flip that I had demo'd for a while.

If your goals are just web video or Youtube, the FLip should be fine. But in the end, the quality will be about the same you would get from a cell phone video camera or video from a regular digital camera.

I am in the market for a camcorder and am not sure what are the best ones out there or frankly what I shuld be looking when comparing. I don't need anything too extravigent, not looking to make the next feature film, just want something basic and simple to use but still records well and can playback on multiple options(DVD player, computer etc.) . Any thoughts??

Also I have been seening commercials for this "Flip" recorder. I am considering getting this to use on the range/course as it is compact and seems easy to use. Anyone have ideas on this?

The flip is sweet b/c it's inexpensive, records a nice picture, and the sound quality is quite nice. Very easy to download your recordings as well. A lot of my car dealers use these and they all say that the simplicity of them is the best feature.

We looked at this very thing a few months ago and researched this for months. What we learned is that we wanted a product with a glass lense and not a plastic one. In the end we went with a Samsung HD camera. Got it on sale for less than $400. They are as low as $200 now on clearance places. Fits in my palm, does HD video, does it on a hard drive and the quality blew away the Flip that I had demo'd for a while.

If your goals are just web video or Youtube, the FLip should be fine. But in the end, the quality will be about the same you would get from a cell phone video camera or video from a regular digital camera.

Which model, JB? We're trying to decide if we should add a video camera to the GPS we ordered. I blame you for reviewing all this stuff. LOL.

Kevin

My goal if I were to get the flip would be to use it only at the range and/or course to use to help me see my problems. I would think it would be easier to use for this task than a regular camcorder. Therefore top of the line recording capability is not so important here but for the oter camcorder it would be important.

There is a lengthy thread on WRX about Casio Exslim (?) cameras that have really good slo-mo capabilities. The FC10, FC100, F20, and F1 (I think).

Which model, JB? We're trying to decide if we should add a video camera to the GPS we ordered. I blame you for reviewing all this stuff. LOL.

Kevin

i think it is the U10-HMX-U10 and on their site it says it is 180

I have a "Flip Ultra", and a "Samsung" 34X digital camcorder. I use the Flip model more so than the other, when long distant close up shots are not needed. The Flip model is so easy to use, down load, and is another reason I use it more than the other two camcorders I have. All of them plug right into a TV for instant, larger viewing. The Flip is by far the most user friendly camcorder I have used. At least my model is. There's a few models out there that have way too many whistles, and bells on them.

I also have a larger Samsung camcorder with all the whistles, and bells that uses a small CD which is nice for instant play back, but I don't use it as much since I purchased the other two.

One thing about the Flip model is that you can record off a screen that is playing another recorded event, and not lose much clarity, or sound for that matter.

I will check out the Casio, the Samsung, and the Flip. Thanks :D

Last edited:
I am in the market for a video recorder. Let me know what you find out Rhino.

After picking the brain of the guy at Best Buy, i decided on the Kodak Zi8 camera. I am still going to purchase another camcorder to use on vacations and such. One with a good zoom and larger memory but this seems to do all I need it to at this time.

After picking the brain of the guy at Best Buy, i decided on the Kodak Zi8 camera. I am still going to purchase another camcorder to use on vacations and such. One with a good zoom and larger memory but this seems to do all I need it to at this time.

I had a feeling it would go that way. that camera takes good pictures as well and the video is going to be slightly better than that of the Flip or others with a plastic lens

yea JB it became a choice of what I wanted to purchase extra between the flip and the kodak, The kodak comes with a mini HDMI to HDMI cable to connect to my tv ($69 on its own) the flip did not. The flip however had an 8gb memory on the phone. The Kodak needs to purchase SD cards ($25 ) the the cost plus the fact you cant ever increase the memory on the flip was the final selling point.

I just ordered a
Sony DCR-SR47 Hard Disk Drive Handycam® Camcorder
41sCV0fgbSL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It has a Carl Zeiss lense 60x optical zoom and 2000x digital zoom, 60 gb hard drive and also can use SD memory cards.

It will be a huge upgrade over our previous camera, I'm hoping I don't regret not getting a High Def.

Do any of these camcorders do high speed motion?

Our Samsung HD captures it very well and with little trouble. You can also record it in slo mo as we have done in a few of our THP TV segments and it also offers little issues. You just want to find something with a strong glass lens that is capable of a high number of FPS.

Some are better than others and it took quite a bit of trial and error to find the right one.

unable to find any specs on FPS

In 1080 we can do 60 frames per second.

Back