Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedges Preview

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Wedges Preview

0899ae0351ed1a872dc2f79d55786d8c.jpg

Do the chrome/satin finish rust?
If not, can you make it rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No it shouldn't. You'd have to really work to make it rust.

Do the chrome/satin finish rust?
If not, can you make it rust?

No they do not.
You could strip them, but it would take some serious work and most likely a machine. They offer wedges that do, so I am not sure why one would go the route of this finish in that aspect.

Can you point me to some cleveland wedges that do rust?

The custom wedges can be ordered in raw finish.

I put the RTX wedges in my bag this spring. Finally got rid of my old CG15s. Now after reading all these rave reviews it making me consider buying the 2.0s.

I put the RTX wedges in my bag this spring. Finally got rid of my old CG15s. Now after reading all these rave reviews it making me consider buying the 2.0s.

I think it depends why you're thinking of doing the replacement. These definitely spin like nothing I've ever seen, especially from the rough, but the real big change is the grind options, especially on the CB. So that might be where you'd see the biggest improvement, if one of the new grinds suited you better.

I will begin moving to the RTX2's next spring. My first RTX was a 60 and it has been through almost two full seasons already. Playing today on really fast greens I realized how much spin has gone out of it from the rough already.

Apart from that there wouldn't be much change in my bag as I don't currently play cavity backs but I would like to change up the bounce. I think all mine are 2 dot and for the usually hard conditions here I want to move back to the one dot on the 52 and 60.

It would be nice to see a calculator to figure out which bounce you need based on conditions at the courses you play regularly.

You'd have to factor in your swing though as well. Conditions don't matter so much for a guy like me with a shallower delivery. I've played in sopping wet MN courses with a 60/6 LW and still just brush the grass. A playing partner couldn't avoid digging big.

fwiw, Cleveland does offer some guidance there via demo days and fitting carts.

You'd have to factor in your swing though as well. Conditions don't matter so much for a guy like me with a shallower delivery. I've played in sopping wet MN courses with a 60/6 LW and still just brush the grass. A playing partner couldn't avoid digging big.

fwiw, Cleveland does offer some guidance there via demo days and fitting carts.

Agree here as a sweeper who rarely takes divots-- many club fitters will also fit you for bounce based on your swing. Club champion actually did a wedge fitting for bounce with mine.

JB, what did you think about the weight of the club head compared to other wedges you've played over the last few years? About on par?

seems like a few more options, especially in the CB, which I've been a very big fan of. Call me excited.

Last year at a demo day I heard some people talking about getting the SM5s because of grind options instead of the RTX, I wonder if anyone that held off on RTXs or bought SM5s will switch to 2.0 now that there are different grind and bounce options.

These were $ again today. My short game has drastically improved since these have been in the bag.

Okay so I just got back from a quick impromptu range session as these were screaming at me. Hopped in the golf cart, headed for short game area. First thing I noticed is that the look is right for me. I was a huge fan of the recent (in terms of years) relaunch of the 588 line and before that a big fan of the CG15 line, but others I have struggled with in terms of what I am used to. I do not use my wedges for full shots too often, so for me, these are about versatility, balance and style. They cover the gamut for me in all three categories. I only hit about 30 balls with them, and played a variety of shots. There is one pin on our practice green that is a good 75 feet away from the rough area on one side. My goal is to get it close and play 4 different shots. Simple Bump and Run, High lofted pitch, chip with a one hope and stop and high lofted stop on a dime (flop).

The sole design really helps me be able to play all of these with little issue. Granted they are brand new, but I also find that they spin as well or better than every other wedge from 2014. This is in part for two reasons and is for me personally. The sole design and leading edge setup perfectly for the multitude of shots I throw at them, and the sole design works flawlessly for so many different impacts. Not too thin, definitely not too wide and the toe section being standard to my eye, rather than elongated and rounded like a few other wedges.

One thing I noted here was that the rough I was playing in was rather thick and a couple of times I hit the ball higher on the club face and saw absolutely no loss in spin to the naked eye. Something I did not see from the previous version and would be more to do with a balanced design rather than grooves. The grooves are aggressive and are as big and sharp as any out there. The move debris out of the way to create spin as well as anything on the market I have tried this year.

Overall look is fantastic and falls right in line with what I like and the weighting is as good as they have ever made. So far I like what I am seeing and will be playing later in the week to put them to the test.

I think the weighting is a very very very good point. The club head just always seems to feel that it is where it needs to be.

Depends on how much you play practice but you should be able to get a couple years of effective use out of them. Unless you go super crazy on amount of balls hit. The pros are changing quite often. I heard Justin Rose changes his somewhere around every 4 weeks

I have been playing 2 sets of wedges a year, but could get much more out of them I feel. These are wearing at a slower pace than my others it seems. The the RTX face holds up very well.

I have been playing 2 sets of wedges a year, but could get much more out of them I feel. These are wearing at a slower pace than my others it seems. The the RTX face holds up very well.

Thats good news. I play 40-50 rounds in a 2 year period with probably as many range days if not more over the last two years. I could probably go 3 years with wedges but I like the feel of new wedges so i usually switch every two years max

Thats good news. I play 40-50 rounds in a 2 year period with probably as many range days if not more over the last two years. I could probably go 3 years with wedges but I like the feel of new wedges so i usually switch every two years max

I could see these absolutely holding up on that schedule.

I'll get some pics up soon showing the wear on the face.

Really considering a 48 degree wedge from this lineup to fill my gap. Serious pondermode. Between this and ordering the z 745 8,9, PW.

When do these 2.0s go on sale?

These wedges look great! Tx for pics. Love Cleveland Golf wedges!

Really considering a 48 degree wedge from this lineup to fill my gap. Serious pondermode. Between this and ordering the z 745 8,9, PW.

With the lack of a set wedge being an early concern, I've really been pleased with my 48°. I've even been full swinging it here and there with some decent results.

Back