Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
Getting back into golf, and going back to square one with the PGA Home edition training...so I can stay below 100 regularly and start breaking 90.

for a while now, I have stuck to my Irons when playing, but realise that I just need to bite the bullet and start using my woods to avoid always long iron 2nd shots Current set is Callaway x20 irons and old Callaway steelhead woods.

Rather than going back to using the steelhead woods (which look tiny compared to modern wood heads), I am looking to buy a new set of woods...or at least a new driver...and go from there.

Callaway Big Bertha looks like the weapon of choice....but not sure what I should do on loft or shaft.....had thought about going to a fitting place....but given that I still have a lot of work to do on my swing, I am not sure if I would get fitted appropriately for the future...when I hopefully improve the swing and stance etc.

is there a safe option???eg stiff shaft and 10% loft that I can just buy off the rack..... Or how would you go about choosing??

I think you have 2 options:

1) continue to work with what you have until you think your swing is consistent enough for a fitting
2) pickup a model made in the last 3 years on the cheap. Find an adjustable driver (TM R1, Cobra AMP cell, etc) that you can tinker with lofts from 9-12 with stock shaft.

Agree with the above poster. I have always struggled with driver and keeping it in the fairway. I typically only play irons, but have started using a fairway metal. Check out your local shop and see if they have any used clubs and try them out. I found a V steel 3 and 7 wood for under $50 for both and used them with great success for the past year. Just recently assembled an XHP 4w to replace both of those and make room in my bag for a driver that I am waiting for the shaft to arrive. When hitting in the bay at the store, the only thing I was paying attention to was direction. I was hitting a nice baby draw with the V Steels and that stayed true to the course. Distance was way off in the bay compared to real life and I figured that would be the case. Steelheads are still excellent woods, but you may gain some forgiveness and better ball flight from something newer.

Do you have the ability to get on a sim or launch monitor at a local store to take some cuts with a few different options?

Thanks for the above responses....

Its a a tough one, as somedays I can consistently hit shot after shot with the woods on the range....yet on a course, as soon as I hit a bad one...everything just seems to follow suit. I then look at the head size comparison of my steel heads (small) v the new Big Bertha and BB Alpha....(BIG) and there just appears to be so much more Head and sweet spot to play with.

I live outside of the US, but the prices are so much better in the US, so would be tempted to pick one up on one of my annual trips....and then work on the swing with that.

the alternative would be to keep practising and persevering with existing steelheads... And then trial a selected few drivers / woods once I feel more comfortable...however, if golf is always a journey of improvement, just wondering if sometimes you should just get the best tools you can afford at the outset ...and it seems from reviews that new callaway BB is a great all-rounder.

I just got into them game a couple of years ago. I had some old equipment. I agree with the guys here. Buy some discounted woods. Go to your local golf superstore and try a few out. Pick the ones that feel the best. At least you can enjoy some of the latest technology while you learn the game again. Don't let the salespeople try and upsell you the newest clubs.

When you have your swing where you want it, invest in some custom clubs.

PS. I also did the tour academy DVDs. While they give you solid fundamentals, I would seek out a good PGA pro for some lessons. That's when I really started to notice a difference. I played a course yesterday that I hadn't played since taking lessons. Beat my PB there by 16 strokes.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PS. I also did the tour academy DVDs. While they give you solid fundamentals said:
thanks for the advice and also the feedback on the PGA training. I will probably relearn the fundamentals, and then go for the 1 on 1 training for fine tuning and real time feedback.

...on the subject of training....I am assuming that regular periodic lessons would be better than say a 1-2 week golfing holiday with regular lessons?

Which Woods???

What worked for me was a lesson a month with practice sessions and games in between. I also have a mat in the basement where I practice positions with foam balls. Yes, I'm addicted. The best part is that I'm at a point where I can feel what went wrong on a swing. Self diagnosis. I'm trying hard to get the proper feeling during my practice swings and carry that over to my actual swing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting back into golf, and going back to square one with the PGA Home edition training...so I can stay below 100 regularly and start breaking 90.

for a while now, I have stuck to my Irons when playing, but realise that I just need to bite the bullet and start using my woods to avoid always long iron 2nd shots Current set is Callaway x20 irons and old Callaway steelhead woods.

Rather than going back to using the steelhead woods (which look tiny compared to modern wood heads), I am looking to buy a new set of woods...or at least a new driver...and go from there.

Callaway Big Bertha looks like the weapon of choice....but not sure what I should do on loft or shaft.....had thought about going to a fitting place....but given that I still have a lot of work to do on my swing, I am not sure if I would get fitted appropriately for the future...when I hopefully improve the swing and stance etc.

is there a safe option???eg stiff shaft and 10% loft that I can just buy off the rack..... Or how would you go about choosing??

I say if your working on your swing, go with something cheap and forgiving as far as drivers. You can get a nice Cleveland Classic driver or Cobra amp cell for very cheap. Im very partial to telling people just getting into that adams, cleveland and cobra are your best bets for cheap, long and forgiving clubs. I say definitely give all of those a swing at your local store and good luck getting back into the sport!

Back