Chipping trajectory

GolfFest

#THCE18
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Time
My home course has mostly elevated turtle back style greens where if you miss the chip shot will need to get up and stop fairly quickly. What is the best way of playing these type of shots? Even with my higher lofted wedges I struggle and tend to hit a lower trajectory which will either hit the hill and go anywhere or sometimes a shot that doesn't stop soon enough. Flat greens don't give me near as much trouble.

Any tips for higher trajectory shots that stop faster greenside?

Sounds like a technical issue. When you're on the greens do find yourself putting the ball off the green? I'm assuming the answer is no. So we need to get chipping so the ball rolls like a putt. The flatter the club the less loft you'll get on chip shots and the more roll you'll get. So it's more about the right club for the job more than trajectory.

In short sided shots you want to use 54 or greater loft. Depending on the speed of the greens and slope, you will carry the ball 3/4 or half way to the hole. On shots with a great deal of run out to the flag I like a gapper so I control spin or a pw back in my stance. Sometimes it's a 7i. The goal is a short chip the runs out the rest of the way. It takes practice but once you get it down I think you'll find it easier to manage the short game.

Now all of these shots require hands forward, shaft lean and weight on front side. If this doesn't happen then it doesn't matter what club you use, you won't pull of consistent contact.

No of course I'm not running putts off the green. I don't struggle as much with a flat green where I can chip it on and run it to the hole, but the greens where I have to get the ball up because the green is 6-10 feet higher than I am. If I hit too short it will hit the hill and maybe come back to me. If I hit a low rolling shot the challenge is enough speed to roll up hill but not too much speed where it will roll over.

Edit: I have more than 1 problem though. I do struggle at times with chips coming out low and hot instead of landing softly and checking up. That tends to happen when my lie is worse.

Last edited:
Freddie your advice is right on though. I spent some time chipping in the back yard with the weight hands and set up you described and that helped a lot. Ball is traveling in much more of an arc than a line drive kind of flight.

Back