Downloaded the iOS 8 gm today. Haven't been blown away by anything just yet. The predictive type can throw you off as you type, but it is cool to see it know the context of certain texts that I get from people. Still going to wait for the Note to come out and compare the two before making my decision.

oh snap!

Preorder Processing
Expected Ship Date: 09/17/2014 To 09/18/2014

Seeing a David Pogue review of an iPhone device is like seeing a review done by Cinderella about Disney World.

One of the things that seems smarter on Apple's part this time is that the 6 and 6+ are different enough to serve what different groups are looking for. There are distinct markets (both apparently successful) for the smaller 6 and the bigger 6+ with a couple extra features. Comparing this to the 5C/5S release of last year where, from what I have read, the 5C was a very poor seller domestically, it seems they have figured out how to market two models.

I also think having a 16 GB base version and 64 GB as the next step up have gotten more people to spend the extra $100 than have in the past. The charts I've seen showing estimated delivery times across carriers typically show the 64 GB having a longer lead time.

These are comments based solely on Apple releases past and present, not comparing to any other Android manufacturers.

One of the things that seems smarter on Apple's part this time is that the 6 and 6+ are different enough to serve what different groups are looking for. There are distinct markets (both apparently successful) for the smaller 6 and the bigger 6+ with a couple extra features. Comparing this to the 5C/5S release of last year where, from what I have read, the 5C was a very poor seller domestically, it seems they have figured out how to market two models.

I also think having a 16 GB base version and 64 GB as the next step up have gotten more people to spend the extra $100 than have in the past. The charts I've seen showing estimated delivery times across carriers typically show the 64 GB having a longer lead time.

These are comments based solely on Apple releases past and present, not comparing to any other Android manufacturers.

I agree completely. Still surprised they did not release a smaller unit similar to the 5 for those that said too large was an issue. But then again with the ability to run 8 on previous devices, there might not have been a need.

According to Att my wife's 6 shows a status of shipped. My 6 plus shows 10/13/14 - 10/22/14

Ah... 6 plus... Come to papa!

We had to take our daughter's 5c to apple to get it replaced after 4 months, the guy told me that they never see these in for repair. I think that speaks more to lack of sales than durability.

the 5c served it's purpose, for parents of teen girls who didn't want to shell out the 5s price. Or maybe that was just me...:confused2:

I don't think it ever caught on with the hipster crowd they initially thought it would catch on with.

As far as a new 4" model...I agree and don't think it was needed. the 5s is cheaper now but really not that much different than the 6 for those who want or don't mind a smaller screen. Screen size aside, what are you really missing out on sticking with the 5s? a barometer? NFC? focus pixels? IMO if the screen size doesn't matter then there is no reason to "upgrade" from a 5s.

I don't recall from the presentation, but does the apple watch have the NFC built into it or does it rely on the NFC in the iphone 6? If the watch has the NFC then really iphone 5s users could also use applepay if they fork over the $$ for the watch.

Apples update servers are unavailable to me. Either they are loading iOS 8 onto them or the rush for it has already started!

Downloading iOS 8.0 on my phone as I type this. Needed over 4 GB free to do so

holy! i dont think i have that space available :(

I believe it takes into account the previous OS and how much storage it used. I hope it does anyway, needing an additional 4GB would seem crazy to me.

I believe it takes into account the previous OS and how much storage it used. I hope it does anyway, needing an additional 4GB would seem crazy to me.

I think you are right, I think it loads all of the new before deleting the old.

Yeah, you have to have that much free to do the install...I don't think the OS takes that much when finally done.

iOS 7 required something similar, but not quite as much per memory.

My 5s shows that I need 5.8 gigs of free space to download and I have the latest iOS 7 installed. I think I am going to pass on installing and await my 6 plus on Friday.

I had to temporarily delete my music off the phone to get the space, but a quick resync afterward will fix that.

I'm having to outsmart my phone a little bit here. Some apps that get used a lot are pretty data heavy, such as twitter. The app alone is only 30 something MB. The 346mb of data hanging out in there though needed to go. Delete the app, re-install it, get that space back.

I'm downloading iOS 8 now!

So I just checked and it said I needed 4.6GB to install. Backing up my photos/videos right now, then deleting and updating... We'll see how this goes

I'm downloading iOS 8 now!

Well, not so much. It got through 1/3 of the download fast and then hit a brick wall and has barely moved in the last 5 minutes. Glad I am doing this through iTunes.

Well, not so much. It got through 1/3 of the download fast and then hit a brick wall and has barely moved in the last 5 minutes. Glad I am doing this through iTunes.

I am doing it through my phone. Bad idea as I may need to leave soon and it is showing about 4 hours to go LOL.

finally installing, the download went quick but the 'preparing update' step took forever. (through iphone)

I'm trying it out now. I like the typing.

Back