Would You Use Lead Tape?

I haven't used it before, but I don't think I would have an issue if it's going to help me.

I don't think I would. I know what it's intended for, but I'm not sure I could get over how it would look on the clubs. Doesn't make much sense I know but it's a mental thing for me.

I have put plenty of tape on putters and some on the backs of wedges

I prefer the peel-and-stick rubber/tungsten squares shown in the pic below...10 pack for $4.99 from Golfworks. The item number is GW0054. Each 1/2" square = 2-grams (1-swingweight), when applied to a clubhead.

gw0054.jpg

Last edited:
I use lead tape all of the time especially on wedges and some on drivers.

Good question. I don't know. As of now I haven't. I guess I'd consider it. I don't like the way it looks but I think I could get over it.

Tungston plugs? Never heard about those. Where could I view them online?

I currently use lead tape and will forever use it.

Most definitely. I've used it in the past with some good results, so I would definitely use it again.

Can someone explain this need for this a little more? Just a couple years in the game and have never heard of this or what it does to help.

Can someone explain this need for this a little more? Just a couple years in the game and have never heard of this or what it does to help.
Its really just to add head weight, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd probably use this on wedges or putter. I've seen people put it on other stuff though. I figure why not, if it helps. I don't care what it looks like. Function over aesthetics.

Have never used it but if I thought it would help me, I would definitely use it.

Tungston plugs? Never heard about those. Where could I view them online?

See post#80. There is an attachment there you can click on for a pic. Otherwise, you can visit the Golfworks site to see the very same pic. These are 1/2" square peel-and-stick rubber/tungsten squares for use with any golf club.

I would absolutely use it if I had any idea how to do so in a way that might help me (e.g., where to apply, how much, etc.). Since I don't, I never have, but the look wouldn't stop me at all.

It's added to bring clubs to the right swing weight relative to the rest of the set and to offset certain builds where the shaft length and head alone doesn't get to the right swing weight.

On woods you can add lead tape to toe side to adjust a hook and heel side for fighting an open face. These are minor adjustments, bad swings will still result in slice/hook.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I'm having a bit of an argument with myself regarding this. I want to order an RTX-3 with Steelfiber to match my irons, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come in a few SW points lighter than my irons. So I can either order it from Cleveland and add lead tape, or I can pay a significant amount extra to have the club built by a local builder (who will probably add tip weights to get it there).

How many SW points could I even comfortably add with tape on a wedge?

I'm having a bit of an argument with myself regarding this. I want to order an RTX-3 with Steelfiber to match my irons, but I'm pretty sure it's going to come in a few SW points lighter than my irons. So I can either order it from Cleveland and add lead tape, or I can pay a significant amount extra to have the club built by a local builder (who will probably add tip weights to get it there).

How many SW points could I even comfortably add with tape on a wedge?
I have 3 strips on the back of my MB 60 in a single line. 3g each, means 4.5 swing weight points total.

I have 3 strips on the back of my MB 60 in a single line. 3g each, means 4.5 swing weight points total.

Thanks James. So really easy to add points then.

I'm assuming since you have graphite in there as well, you used the tape to get back to a SW similar to steel?

I use it when I have no other options. Just cut my EPIC down to 45" Callaway sent me another 17gram weight which is way to much it took about 5 grams of lead tape to get me back to D3. I tried to get Callaway to send me some other weights but they said it was only available when ordering the club new special order. CS does not have the weights to send per callaway.

Thanks James. So really easy to add points then.

I'm assuming since you have graphite in there as well, you used the tape to get back to a SW similar to steel?

Yep. I was out of tip weights at the time so I just went with lead.

Back