I still don't understand how turf interaction on well struck shots matters. The ball is already gone before the turf is interacted with.

I still don't understand how turf interaction on well struck shots matters. The ball is already gone before the turf is interacted with.
Wouldn't some players that are "sweepers" benefit from a wider sole though where their swing is flatter at impact and may catch a little turf before the ball on occasion?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Wouldn't some players that are "sweepers" benefit from a wider sole though where their swing is flatter at impact and may catch a little turf before the ball on occasion?

Oh, sure. there are benefits to a wider sole. But ball first contact on full swings is what I have always though was the goal.

Oh, sure. there are benefits to a wider sole. But ball first contact on full swings is what I have always though was the goal.
I agree with you, but, if I'm not mistaken, with sweepers the turf interaction is almost right at contact and minimal so there is more chance for a fat shot with a narrower sole that might catch easier(?). I could be wrong, guess it's as much a question as a statement.

I agree with you, but, if I'm not mistaken, with sweepers the turf interaction is almost right at contact and minimal so there is more chance for a fat shot with a narrower sole that might catch easier(?). I could be wrong, guess it's as much a question as a statement.

I think we are on the same page.

Too diggy? or brought the wrong sole design? or just want to narrow gaps...Just take a file and round the leading edge a touch, particularly if your bending a wedge stronger. file back side, face side at about 30 deg first, then round it. It will slide through the turf, rather than dig. No need to go up the toe far, but get into the hosel corner best u can. Best to clamp it in a vise with a shaft clamp at a good working angle. You can tell its working nice when you see the grass stalks bent forward...not cut off. Your club speed is retained more. Chipping is nicer too if you catch it a tad heavy...less chunk 2 putt bogies. Keep a eye on bounce, and how high leading edge gets higher as you go. Sit the wedge on a table leading fwd in impact position and eye it. It only takes a little round. Also consider the bounce your starting with. Less is more go try it, Perhaps I'll post a pic. Also file the back of the rear sole / bounce area if your increasing loft and want less bounce...this takes a bit more work, I usually do a c- grind, mark it with a sharpie.
Perhaps its time to start working on your equipment, or get a local clubmaker... the worst is to do nothing at all and keep playing with miss matched clubs

Last edited:
This is the primary reason I don't play Pings.
I just can't get past the sole width on most of their lines and I'm not good enough to game the ones that aren't wide.

When I'm hitting hybrid, I'm not trying to take a divot like I would with something like a 9I or wedge.

Anyone played 2008 callaway big bertha I-brid?

Anyone played 2008 callaway big bertha I-brid?

My brother-in-law still plays those. Giant sweet spot, super straight, and super high launch! I think they're the most SUPER game improvement irons I've seen. Those things are like a bunch of little fairway woods.

edit* he games a later model, the FT I-brid.

My brother-in-law still plays those. Giant sweet spot, super straight, and super high launch! I think they're the most SUPER game improvement irons I've seen. Those things are like a bunch of little fairway woods.

edit* he games a later model, the FT I-brid.

Mid to short irons looks somewhat normal but long irons looks really weird. It has widest sole ever. I was just wondering if anyone could play them.

The sole width doesn't bother me with a wedge, irons or hybrid. But I am a sweeper not a digger and take very thin divots.

But I can understand why a person with a steeper swing attack angle might not want a thick sole getting stuck during a swing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I do not mind at all. I play WS D-200 irons which have wide sole and I also play hybrids

Back