Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

I spent some time on a Foresight G2C+HMT yesterday and hit this driver a whole bunch. One thing I was amazed at, I have the weight in the heel and up. I was consistently out towards the toe, but still see some more than acceptable numbers.

That's one thing that amazed me and makes me want to do more research on the gravity core technology. I have the core in the heel and low, but even on high toe misses I don't see much suffering in yardage

That's one thing that amazed me and makes me want to do more research on the gravity core technology. I have the core in the heel and low, but even on high toe misses I don't see much suffering in yardage

Talking. To my fitter at ECPC basically the gravity core placement helps extend the sweet spot.

Ex: for me I was missing consistently high and towards the heel, so we put the gravity core in the heel heavy side up (towards the crown) and we saw an immediate increase in carry and launch.

It makes me excited to put the weight in the toe/up. Get it closer to my impact point.

Hit this beast for the first time today. Absolutely love the look of it for starters. Add in the unparalleled adjustability and I'm smitten. Set it up 9* neutral with the gravity core in the toe, heavy side down. I saw a great, mid to low mid, penetrating trajectory that was straight as a bullet. All but 3 or 4 of those were just like that. Despite the frigid temps, I thoroughly enjoyed this demo and will be looking into it further.

What I'm amazed with, how far off from center I was, but other than a few, I would take most of these drives in a heart beat

109a0d1c077f38070a0bff1b8dffad37.jpg

I'm glad I got out today and hit driver as much as I did. It quickly reminded me how much I love this driver. I hit a couple bombs today that even surprised me when I got up to the ball. Gravity core is my friend and I put that technology to the test today. I think the thing I love the most about the DBD is even when I'm not perfect at impact, there's enough technology there to bail me out and keep me in play

I think I might be picking one up today. Such a good deal I can't resist.

I really wanna give one of these a go. Tough finding anywhere near me with a fitting cart and a way to get some numbers. I'm going to keep looking and try to get something worked out.

This is still on my mind against the LTD. Such a tough decision and not sure I can make it this easily without getting on a LM.

Wow. This club is a beast. Spent some time at Golfsmith dialing it in, and trying some different shafts, then got outside to put it head to head with the rogue IO shaft against my G30.

The rogue IO in x is a little too much shaft for me. Hickerad helped me out at we settled on the diamana x5ct 70 grams in stiff. So I'll be posting in the marketplace.

Outside on the range, I hit the dbd with the rogue and my lz handcrafted. Rouge even in x was better for me. More penetrating flight and tighter dispersion. A few bad swings in there leading to my high and right miss, but that is more me than the club.

When you hit this club in the sweet spot, the sound is amazing, and it feels like you hit nothing at all. Misses sound and feel different, but ballspeed retention was good.

Comparing to the g30, I saw higher ball speed, especially on mishits. I didn't have many balls below 150 on misses with the dbd, but slight misses with the G30 killed the speed. Besides the really poor swings, misses would have stayed in the fairway or barely missed.

This club is going to be fun to hit this season.

Wow. This club is a beast. Spent some time at Golfsmith dialing it in, and trying some different shafts, then got outside to put it head to head with the rogue IO shaft against my G30.

The rogue IO in x is a little too much shaft for me. Hickerad helped me out at we settled on the diamana x5ct 70 grams in stiff. So I'll be posting in the marketplace.

Outside on the range, I hit the dbd with the rogue and my lz handcrafted. Rouge even in x was better for me. More penetrating flight and tighter dispersion. A few bad swings in there leading to my high and right miss, but that is more me than the club.

When you hit this club in the sweet spot, the sound is amazing, and it feels like you hit nothing at all. Misses sound and feel different, but ballspeed retention was good.

Comparing to the g30, I saw higher ball speed, especially on mishits. I didn't have many balls below 150 on misses with the dbd, but slight misses with the G30 killed the speed. Besides the really poor swings, misses would have stayed in the fairway or barely missed.

This club is going to be fun to hit this season.

Where do you have the gravity core?

Core up in the heel.

Nice. You'll have to try the Oban Hashimoto next time we tee it up together. It's not quite as stout in X as the I/O is so it should be right up your alley. I love both options

Nice. You'll have to try the Oban Hashimoto next time we tee it up together. It's not quite as stout in X as the I/O is so it should be right up your alley. I love both options
That'd be great. I also tried hickerad hazrdus in x, but that was definitely too much shaft.

That'd be great. I also tried hickerad hazrdus in x, but that was definitely too much shaft.

I didn't like the HZRDUS in X. Couldn't get around on the ball and left everything out to the right. The Oban will definitely launch you higher so depending on your preferred loft you may have to change things up

Yesterday gravity core was put to the test. Seemed like i was pounding the heel on most of my tee shots but thankfully i have the core heel/low and was able to still hit some pretty big tee shots. I had one that made me double check the yardage. We have some nicer temps ahead of us in the coming week so i will be hitting balls and bringing more information back to this thread. Part of me wants to tinker a bit and see how effective the settings can be for no purpose other than for review sake, but another part of me knows i was fitted for this in this setting by the best in the business so dont mess with it

I'm ready to knock off the winter rust & get back to dialing this head in. I've been playing the Oban Hashimoto in it & I've had some of my best drives ever. I'm anxious to get this one out to the range and see what the Grandura I have can do with this head.

7189d8abd847b2c82ed847749d6217a5.jpg

So far I have really enjoyed my DBD...I have the gravity core toe up because that's where my miss has been and I can honestly say that my driving has improved quite a bit! That paired with a slightly shorter shaft has resulted in straighter drives and no loss in distance. Pumped for this summer so I can really out this bad boy to the test!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Since switching to this club I am noticeably longer off the tee. One of my playing partners is a pretty big guy (I'm not). There have been many times he has pounded a beautiful drive off the tee and then I go off with a nice easy swing and hit and when we get to them I've got him by a couple of yards. With my previous driver, BioCell, I was quite a bit shorter than him. I play the gravity core up and in since I like to tee my ball high for driver. I don't find this club to be any less forgiving as my BioCell. I suppose because I am hitting longer my miss can be longer.

Since switching to this club I am noticeably longer off the tee. One of my playing partners is a pretty big guy (I'm not). There have been many times he has pounded a beautiful drive off the tee and then I go off with a nice easy swing and hit and when we get to them I've got him by a couple of yards. With my previous driver, BioCell, I was quite a bit shorter than him. I play the gravity core up and in since I like to tee my ball high for driver. I don't find this club to be any less forgiving as my BioCell. I suppose because I am hitting longer my miss can be longer.

That last part is true for me. My misses are considerably longer and the dispersion is much improved. I'm convinced this driver is for more people than most think. The technology packed into this offering makes even the less than perfect swings work out

I like the sounds of these last 2 post, some reviews say it is really fade biased ( don't really need or want that ) & others say it is a straight shooter. My current driver is a bio cell plus & I just bought this one to try out in the spring. Also really interested in any direct comparisons to the xr pro 16 driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I like the sounds of these last 2 post, some reviews say it is really fade biased ( don't really need or want that ) & others say it is a straight shooter. My current driver is a bio cell plus & I just bought this one to try out in the spring. Also really interested in any direct comparisons to the apex pro 16 driver

I believe you are talking about the XR Pro 16? And I was able to hit it side by side with the 816 DBD. I really liked the XR Pro 16 and especially liked the improvement of the sound compared to the previous XR line, but to me the DBD is just a better offering for me. Granted, I was at Callaway and had just gone through a world class fitting so the driver was built to me.

That last part is true for me. My misses are considerably longer and the dispersion is much improved. I'm convinced this driver is for more people than most think. The technology packed into this offering makes even the less than perfect swings work out

When I got fitted this was the last driver the fitter brought out. He told me that it was supposed to be for low handicap players and I said "which I am not." I hit it straighter than the GBB or the XR which I hit pretty well. My ball speed was 3-4 mph faster than with those and 6-8 mph faster than the BioCell. I was straighter with it as well. Made my decision very easy.

I believe you are talking about the XR Pro 16? And I was able to hit it side by side with the 816 DBD. I really liked the XR Pro 16 and especially liked the improvement of the sound compared to the previous XR line, but to me the DBD is just a better offering for me. Granted, I was at Callaway and had just gone through a world class fitting so the driver was built to me.

Yeah you are right, guess I should proof read before hitting send. Thanks for the feed back between the 2. After seeing pics of the Oban hasimoto shaft kinda wishing I ordered that, have a kiyoshi purple in the bio cell plus that I really like and the specs look to be similar

Back