How much will you put up with

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiiim

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
NONE
Well we all know there's some gamesmanship in golf but there needs to be a line drawn on what you'll put up with..

I've been paying with a friend for decades...he is one major pain in the you know where to play with because he is always screwing with me...After the round when I confront him he just laughs it off and changes the subject..

On the tee he will say I think you teed up over the line...knowing that I haven't...Or just before I'm going to hit a shot he'll say everytime I play this hole I think I want to hit a draw when I shouldn't...or before a putt he'll say man these greens are fast today...this goes on on just about every hole...Now this guy is a great friend and would give me the shirt off his back...but when playing golf he's a problem...We both like to play together and will but it's difficult at best...

Have you guys had these problems with friends that you play with? How do you draw the line...Oh we only play for pennies just to make it interesting..I don't want his money and he doesn't want mine..

I would rather play with random people.

If it really bothered me, I'd draw the line by not playing with that friend.

I have a friend who doesn't play by the rules. I've NEVER seen him lose a ball, to the point he tees up a Pinnacle into the woods that turns into a Titleist when he plays it out.
Overall I enjoy his company, but I know I can't bring him on golf trips or rounds with other people who wouldn't be so understandable. He and I don't play for money, so I really don't care what he does.

Well we all know there's some gamesmanship in golf but there needs to be a line drawn on what you'll put up with..

I've been paying with a friend for decades...he is one major pain in the you know where to play with because he is always screwing with me...After the round when I confront him he just laughs it off and changes the subject..

On the tee he will say I think you teed up over the line...knowing that I haven't...Or just before I'm going to hit a shot he'll say everytime I play this hole I think I want to hit a draw when I shouldn't...or before a putt he'll say man these greens are fast today...this goes on on just about every hole...Now this guy is a great friend and would give me the shirt off his back...but when playing golf he's a problem...We both like to play together and will but it's difficult at best...

Have you guys had these problems with friends that you play with? How do you draw the line...Oh we only play for pennies just to make it interesting..I don't want his money and he doesn't want mine..

Sound like if he's that good of a friend you just have to realize that is his personality and ignore what he says. If you aren't playing for money, just ignore everything he says.

I'd tell your friend 'your not helping here', He should be doing or saying things that keep the game fun and the mood light and only at the appropriate times.

Add a stroke to his score on every hole he cracks wise. If it bothers him shrug it off and change the subject.

I'd mention that his input isn't needed, and if he can't take a hint find someone else that you can golf with and enjoy yourself. If he's a great friend he shouldn't be trying to sabotage your round with that stuff.

You say you like to play with him, but you have a lot of complaints about the guy. He screws with you, you confront him, he blows it off, when you play together it's difficult at best.

Keep him as a friend, but for goodness sake, find someone more fun to play with.

I would return the favor by matching his comments times two. My smart ass skills have been honed over 4 decades.

Simply put, I am the kind of person that will be honest about how annoying I think it is. Golf is my sanctuary from the real world. If something is screwing with my golf equilibrium, I either find someone else to play with, or I make an observation over a beer that it's annoying me. I'd hope my playing partners would do the same for me.

If he's that good a friend just tell him to cut the crap. It annoys you when he dies it constantly.

Decades? He's been doing this for decades? It's too late to change that now. Sorry.
Probably just thinks of it as "golf talk, a little bit of smack".

If it bothers you that much, TELL him. SHOW him. Next time he calls up for a game, say "Nope. The gamesmanship has gotten old. Don't enjoy playing when you're chirping." The laughing it off tells me he's not been actually confronted or presented with consequences. "Continue chirping, I won't play with you. Your call."

I played Sunday with a buddy of mine and we were held up by a 3 some with no one in front of them on every single hole. They wouldn't let us play through. The marshal had told them at least 3 or 4 times to speed it up. They were holding up the whole course. I'm a very relaxed and patient person, however o n 17 I couldn't take it anymore, they were about 310 yards out, my playing partner and I had been on the tee for at least 10 minutes while they were aimlessly hacking and/or searching for their balls. So I knocked one right between their carts, dick move I know, but it is what it is. It took 5 1/2 hours to play that round as a 2 some. That should never happen.

What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right.
He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

I can deal with the trash talking. When I play with buddies the trash talking is half of the fun and no one takes anything to heart because we all know that it's in good fun. What I can't tolerate is cheating though. If I catch someone blatantly cheating then I lose trust and won't play with them very often after that

Depending on the person, I'll put up with a bit but damn they better be putting money in wallet if it persists for a while. I'd much rather crack jokes and laugh on the course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question would be, and you've been friends with the guy for decades so I'm guessing it's all in good fun and to get a rise out of you, why do you let it bother you? You know he's just trying to get under your skin, obviously it is working to some degree. Either shrug it off or give it back to him times 10. Once he figures out it doesn't bother you, or realizes he doesn't like being on the receiving end, he will stop. Seems to me that it is just some friendly trash talk, nothing to serious from what was mentioned.

I play with a group were that occurs, but all in good fun ... I just expect it, and its the norm so I give it right back. We do have a line of not talking in the back swing however.

If anyone bothers me too much I tell them to STFU.

What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right.
He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Haha I can think of little things that are much worse. I was in the military. My mind is not right haha

Id mess with him back. If he pulls one left, Id say something like "Man, it looked like you were aimed there. I was hoping you were trying to play a fade there.". Gotta fight fuego con fuego sometimes

Does it affect your game? If it doesn't ignore it. If it does, then there's a lot of options that have been laid out. Pick one that is easiest for you to do.

If it really bothered me, I'd draw the line by not playing with that friend.

I have a friend who doesn't play by the rules. I've NEVER seen him lose a ball, to the point he tees up a Pinnacle into the woods that turns into a Titleist when he plays it out.
Overall I enjoy his company, but I know I can't bring him on golf trips or rounds with other people who wouldn't be so understandable. He and I don't play for money, so I really don't care what he does.

LOL! Probably hit a white ball into the woods and a yellow one out too!

Sounds like it is ruining the experience for you. Time for a new partner.

There is banter with my regular group and it's all in good fun. Last time I was playing with them, my buddy was -3 on number 14. He had about 15 feet for birdie and right before he putted someone said, don't three putt. On cue, he rolls it past the hole 6 feet. It was said as a joke and not with the intention of getting in his head. The guy who said it went white after he rolled the putt by that far.He fortunately made the comebacker so it was a no issue.

I won't put up with "head" games. I want to play golf and win or lose on the course, not in someone else's, or my head. A couple of years ago after a particularly long battle with the shanks, which I finally got under control, one of the guys in our league, who I was playing against that day, said "Gee I hope your shank doesn't come back today!" He wasn't being concerned, he was being a jerk. I told him to just shut the ___ up and play golf." He got the message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back