Value of putter fittings vs. buying after testing?

Crapgame

Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the value for putter fittings? I'm still somewhat of a casual golfer (shooting mid-90s on average), but putting is the one area that I can easily pick up ~10 strokes per round. Been using an old putter from the 90s since I started playing as a teenager and now have the disposable income to go for a $200-300 putter.

Is a fitting worthwhile or does testing them out in the store or at a pro shop provide the same benefit? I had tested the SuperStroke counter balance grips on various Odysseys and it seemed to be working well.

Thoughts?

Anyone have any thoughts on the value for putter fittings? I'm still somewhat of a casual golfer (shooting mid-90s on average), but putting is the one area that I can easily pick up ~10 strokes per round. Been using an old putter from the 90s since I started playing as a teenager and now have the disposable income to go for a $200-300 putter.

Is a fitting worthwhile or does testing them out in the store or at a pro shop provide the same benefit? I had tested the SuperStroke counter balance grips on various Odysseys and it seemed to be working well.

Thoughts?

I would defenitely get fit for lenght and lie, they can make a big defference for you. after that, I think it's a matter of chosing a head shape and weight you like

80-90% of putters are too long for the player. Most putters are sold in the 33-35" range whereas a 31-32" putter fits most players better. The same goes for lie and loft. Standard seems to be 70*, 4*. I read that PM once gamed a 7*Putter and there are negative lofts on tour too, depending on the stroke, so fitting is paramount IMHO.
I'm working on that problem of having bought a 34" SC Fastback after trying in store. Well, I tend to choke down at least 2.5" which makes it very low in swingweight which gives me a lot of trouble on longer putts due to a not so smooth stroke.
I will cut it down 1.5", make the head at least 30g heavier to account for swingweight and flatten the lie about 2-3* because it feels better.
A friend of mine has 120g of lead powder inside the shaft of his 31" putter after fitting. He's 5'9" tall.
Do yourself a favour and spare yourself the trouble I'm having. Spend a few bucks and get fit for a putter that works, no matter how it looks at first. Even ugly putters get pretty once you make every putt.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

When looking for a new putter early last spring I went to the local PGA Superstore and rolled several different head shapes on the green there. Probably spent at least an hour rolling different putters. I settled on the one I made the most with.

Flash forward a month later for the full bag fitting I had scheduled and the fitter confirmed that I made a good choice and told me that the head shape I went with was the right length and had the right toe hang for my stroke. Was nice to have that confirmation that I did choose well. Can't guarantee it would be that way for everyone though so a fitting is preferable if you can swing it.

Getting fit greatly helped my putting. Getting the right length, lie angle, and toe hang for your swing makes a big difference.

I wanted to be fit for a putter, but I couldn't find anywhere I felt comfortable with unless I traveled hundreds of miles. So, I spent many hours with dozens of putters at golf shops. I systematically totaled how many 20 ft. putts I made out of 10 shots with each club. Most putters I felt lucky that would make 1 or 2 out of 10 consistently. However, a Scotty Cameron putter consistently made 3 out of 10.

I was ready to plunk down the $325 for that putter before I tried one last putter. I had not tried one of those mallet type putters. I couldn't get past the looks. I thought they were ugly and I didn't want to look at one of them over every putt. Also, I didn't like the feel of holding them in my hands. It just didn't feel right. However, I thought since so many folks are using them now, I better give it a try.

I grabbed an Odyssey mallet putter and proceeded in making 6 out of 10 from 20 ft. I'm thinking "fluke." Tried again and made 4. Tried again and made 5. I went to the counter at that golf shop and bought the Odyssey.

For the pre-Odyssey summer rounds I had been averaging 38 putts a rounds. Post-Odyssey I averaged 33. Presently this year for 7 rounds I'm averaging 32 with my last round being 28 putts.

I believe my improved putting is due to a putter that is a good fit for me. Whether you can take the time like I did to spend many hours and many 100's of strokes to determine which putter is best (I'm retired, I had the time.) or you get fit by as pro, I can't think of a better and quicker way to improve your score.

Later,

John

Id say its worth while. I always just bought online. Started with a 35" RAM Zebra which i struggled with so bought a YES! Stephanie Belly new off ebay. Putted good but felt uncomfortable. This year when to my local Direct Golf and bought an end of production GEL Diamond. They put in a 33" shaft for me which, after the belly, felt so short at first but its the best putter i have had (and it cost me £15 in the sale.......bargain!)

I highly recommend a putter fitting. I went to an Edel putter fitting that lasted about 90 minutes. We looked at so many "fit" points ... head shape, length, weighting of the putter head, and weighting in the handle, where I was actually aimed, different aim lines on the putter, etc ...

Thoughts?

80-90% of putters are too long for the player. Most putters are sold in the 33-35" range whereas a 31-32" putter fits most players better. The same goes for lie and loft. Standard seems to be 70*, 4*. I read that PM once gamed a 7*Putter and there are negative lofts on tour too, depending on the stroke, so fitting is paramount IMHO.
I'm working on that problem of having bought a 34" SC Fastback after trying in store. Well, I tend to choke down at least 2.5" which makes it very low in swingweight which gives me a lot of trouble on longer putts due to a not so smooth stroke.
I will cut it down 1.5", make the head at least 30g heavier to account for swingweight and flatten the lie about 2-3* because it feels better.
A friend of mine has 120g of lead powder inside the shaft of his 31" putter after fitting. He's 5'9" tall.
Do yourself a favour and spare yourself the trouble I'm having. Spend a few bucks and get fit for a putter that works, no matter how it looks at first. Even ugly putters get pretty once you make every putt.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Good info above. An additional thought.
There are putters available that have adjustable lie & weighting. Not sure on adjustable loft. This gives you the opportunity to see what works best for you over time vs. one day in a fitting situation and is changable in a few minutes. I settled on weight pretty quickly but did change my lie angle a few times getting it to where my eyeline was most beneficial. YMMV

My putter was not fitted for me, but I customized it very specifically (I knew what I needed: 34", 70*, 2*, ultra heavy head, Flatso grip with CounterCore weight) , and it is my favorite club. I would advise a fitting. I used to be awful, and now I love my putter and my putting performance. Confidence is so key in putting, and knowing that this club is the perfect match for you will help tremendously.

Thoughts?

I would say it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. A lot of people just pick putters because they like the way it looks. You can easily figure out the best putter for you by doing trying putters. Putting 10 or 20 foot putts isn't going to show anything. One of the keys to any fitting is being able to start the ball on line not matter how long of a stroke you take. Get some putters of different configurations (weight, hosel position (this impacts toe hang), offset, head style, etc) and try to putt the ball over a dime about 16" in front of the ball. Don't worry about making putts, just see which putter you can consistently roll the ball over the center of the dime.

A fitting would give you the right style for your stroke, lie, length and loft.

This is good info. Last year I tested a lot of putters and face balanced felt the best. Since then that's what has worked for me but some day I'll look into a fitting other than length.

I wasn't fit for my putter, the one that I game just works for me. However, if I was fit for one, I think it would definitely help my game.

I think the putter in length/lie can be easily dissected by the player. Go to a big box store with a friend, find the right length for you, and then have your friend tell you whether the putter is raised off the ground on either the heel or toe section when you're comfortably set.

That said, I think a total putter fitting on some of the new tech that takes into consideration your stroke and provides a head that hangs properly for you is of great value (despite never having done it myself, derp). Especially for those who lack confidence or see a consistent error in their putting.

Is it possible to have a putter retro-fitted after buying it? I recently bought a ping anser cb but wasn't fit. Am I able to get fit after the fact?

Is it possible to have a putter retro-fitted after buying it? I recently bought a ping anser cb but wasn't fit. Am I able to get fit after the fact?
Loft, lie, and length can be altered on all putters, yep.

Loft, lie, and length can be altered on all putters, yep.

It can be done, yes. BUT, you should know that altering the loft on a putter means that you have to hover it behind the ball, because setting it down on the green will lead to an open or closed putterface depending on whether you added or subtracted loft.
That is because putters have no bounce. If you bend an iron stronger or weaker, bounce decreases/increases. Putters have no bounce, they are constructed to sit flat on the ground. If you bend a putter and let it sit flat, it'll turn the face. And if you have a putter without hosel, bending the shaft is a real nightmare. #snap #newshaft #dent=nonconforming

It can be done, yes. BUT, you should know that altering the loft on a putter means that you have to hover it behind the ball, because setting it down on the green will lead to an open or closed putterface depending on whether you added or subtracted loft.
That is because putters have no bounce. If you bend an iron stronger or weaker, bounce decreases/increases. Putters have no bounce, they are constructed to sit flat on the ground. If you bend a putter and let it sit flat, it'll turn the face. And if you have a putter without hosel, bending the shaft is a real nightmare. #snap #newshaft #dent=nonconforming
This isn't an absolute FWIW, in some very extreme cases, yes, but we aren't talking about altering the loft 4, 5, or 6 degrees, 1 or 2 will be just fine with no concern at all.

You can manage that by reinstalling the grip.

Back