Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

I REALLY like the look of these. Love the finish, love the shape. Looking forward to the review.

These are near the top of the lists for adding a second set

I think a lot would really enjoy this set. I know we will be seeing the new C irons get most of the buzz and spotlight (as they should considering the tech is mind blowing) but these are sitting in that Apex like category which is becoming more popular and honestly they stand up really really well there.

I think a lot would really enjoy this set. I know we will be seeing the new C irons get most of the buzz and spotlight (as they should considering the tech is mind blowing) but these are sitting in that Apex like category which is becoming more popular and honestly they stand up really really well there.
You have me pondering these since the M3s are just sitting in the garage right now....

You have me pondering these since the M3s are just sitting in the garage right now....
10 times better than the m3, in looks and performance imo.

Gorgeous irons,love the sole designs on these. Solid offering

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Some stiff competition in this segment with the Apex and AP1, but I like hearing that these can hold their own. If I get the itch to buy irons in 2016 you can bet these will be at the top of the list.

10 times better than the m3, in looks and performance imo.
very interesting..... will have to try and get my hands on a set sometime soon.

Sounds like Wilson has a couple great options going into 2016.

Again, sorry for the quiet in here, but if you have ANY questions please feel free to post them up and I'll answer ASAP.

How do you think the F5s would play with the ProjectX shafts you were fit to at Granddaddy? I realize this would be more speculative than anything else...

How do you think the F5s would play with the ProjectX shafts you were fit to at Granddaddy? I realize this would be more speculative than anything else...

They'd be a better personal fit, but yeah that would be all speculation without doing it.

I mentioned it earlier but I'll be putting the KBS Tour FLTD shafts in these.

I know all the focus and buzz is on the C200's but worth noting these also hit Wilson's site today.

They are also classified in the new "crossover" portion of the FCD categories for the company alongside the C200, bit definitely totally different beasts.

They are also classified in the new "crossover" portion of the FCD categories for the company alongside the C200, bit definitely totally different beasts.

Yeah, these were awesome as well and I was surprised at how forgiving they were for a hacker like me. I'll own a set of these someday.

Wonder how F5 scoring irons coupled with C200 long irons would work out.

Reread the thread and along with the c200 review w/s has a solid line of irons this year. I want to give these irons a run. Hopefully I get to hit these at some point.

So so nice.

Reread the thread and along with the c200 review w/s has a solid line of irons this year. I want to give these irons a run. Hopefully I get to hit these at some point.

These are head and shoulders above the m3 they replace, IMHO.

Except in looks. I might be in the minority but I'm a sucker for the black finish on the m3, even though it wears fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are head and shoulders above the m3 they replace, IMHO.

Except in looks. I might be in the minority but I'm a sucker for the black finish on the m3, even though it wears fairly quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you saw the silly success I was having with the M3s at golfsmith so for these to be that much better makes me want even more. Plus the looks are just crazy good

I can't wait to hit these irons and others from WS. i am playing devils advocate here, hoping to get some talk back on these irons from the golfers that had the opportunity to meet with the Wilson Staff. It would appear from the reviews and comments here that the C200 is the new "the one" to check out. (bye-bye Srixon and CF16, lol) I would agree with that assessment given the introduction of the new features that they have incorporated into that iron it is a must see iron. I suppose they could have went from the C200 straight to the V4iron, but they did not. Why then and for whom has Wilson Staff introduced the F5 iron? Thanks

Why then and for whom has Wilson Staff introduced the F5 iron? Thanks
IMO, the F5 is targeted at the player who wants a forged iron with forgiveness & a little more distance in a pretty traditional package.
Comparing to Callaway, the F5 would be like the Apex line & the C200 line the XR line.

I can't wait to hit these irons and others from WS. i am playing devils advocate here, hoping to get some talk back on these irons from the golfers that had the opportunity to meet with the Wilson Staff. It would appear from the reviews and comments here that the C200 is the new "the one" to check out. (bye-bye Srixon and CF16, lol) I would agree with that assessment given the introduction of the new features that they have incorporated into that iron it is a must see iron. I suppose they could have went from the C200 straight to the V4iron, but they did not. Why then and for whom has Wilson Staff introduced the F5 iron? Thanks

They both fit the new "Crossover" section of the W/S classification system extremely well IMO. Essentially, the F5 will appeal to more traditional "wants" while still offering a ton of tech itself. Its an extremely playable iron but IMO it doesn't run the spread of skill levels on the upper end like the C200. This is a way to offer a forged iron in a model that is more playable for the low-mid to mid cappers who want forged but can't or don't want to play a true players iron like the V4's.

I'm one who would go F5 over the C200's based on what I like to see/look at in an iron. While I adore all the tech in the C200 and believe it to be revolutionary, its just not something I personally would game as easily as these.

Not going to lie. As much buzz as the C200's are getting, something about forged distance gives me butterflies. Can't wait to hear more

They both fit the new "Crossover" section of the W/S classification system extremely well IMO. Essentially, the F5 will appeal to more traditional "wants" while still offering a ton of tech itself. Its an extremely playable iron but IMO it doesn't run the spread of skill levels on the upper end like the C200. This is a way to offer a forged iron in a model that is more playable for the low-mid to mid cappers who want forged but can't or don't want to play a true players iron like the V4's.

I'm one who would go F5 over the C200's based on what I like to see/look at in an iron. While I adore all the tech in the C200 and believe it to be revolutionary, its just not something I personally would game as easily as these.

I was fortunate enough to receive a set of C200 at the #StaffProto event. At the fitting day Wilson had both the C200 and these irons out for us to try. If Wilson had let us swing both and then gave us a choice of which ones we wanted to be fit into, I'm about 90% certain I would have chosen the F5.

I say this not to diminish anything about the C200, they are a phenomenal offering and I am quite happy with them, but to impress upon folks how good the F5s are. I'm not sure where Wilson draws the line on its recommendation, but IMHO there's enough help in these for players with caps in the 18 range.

I suppose they could have went from the C200 straight to the V4iron, but they did not. Why then and for whom has Wilson Staff introduced the F5 iron? Thanks

While the C200 is a hot iron I think Wilson realize it is still on the game-improvement side of the ledger and might be looked over by players who feel their games have progressed beyond that style of club. The F5 leans toward the players side in profile but still offers plenty of help, though not as much as the C200, on mishits. Having this club in the line gives that player an entry point into the Wilson Staff line prior to the more demanding V4 and a transition club for current Wilson Staff players looking for a new set but don't consider themselves ready for the V4. It gives Wilson an opportunity to both gain new players and keep current players in the line.

Back