Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

Admittedly, I think this club is skirting a fine line claiming these to be "exercise clothing", especially when it is allowed for the women to wear. But if they deem this to be the case and they put it in writing and distribute it to the membership, they can enforce it however they choose.

Most defiantly.

Its funny how much marketing matters. People look at compression stuff and assume its a UA thing and it was done for weather.
Compression has been around for decades in sports.

And I think that goes into the whole drawing comparison to compression tops thing... I've never worn a compression top with the intention of supporting my joints or muscle groups. Ever.

But, that's personal use vs. the intended design on the piece, yeah?

Its funny how much marketing matters. People look at compression stuff and assume its a UA thing and it was done for weather.

UA has done a really good job equating compression to their brand. Do they do it well? Absolutely, at least in my opinion. Were they the first? Not even close.

And I think that goes into the whole drawing comparison to compression tops thing... I've never worn a compression top with the intention of supporting my joints or muscle groups. Ever.

Agreed completely. The NBA has some of the greatest athletes in the world. I don't see many of them wearing compression tights or tops. Maybe a few. If the benefits were so great for muscle and ligament recovery and overall health, every one of those guys would be wearing them.

long-johnsrex_450x433.jpg

Agreed completely. The NBA has some of the greatest athletes in the world. I don't see many of them wearing compression tights or tops. Maybe a few. If the benefits were so great for muscle and ligament recovery and overall health, every one of those guys would be wearing them.

Haha, and in the last year, we are seeing a large amount of that changing at high levels.
Here is the NY Times article from last year about the college game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/s...etball-players-skin-is-no-longer-in.html?_r=0

22dogLEGSjp-articleLarge.jpg

22legs-master675.jpg

Some say its as much about fashion as function, others say the opposite, but to think the trend is not shifting is just not accurate.

Under Armour began from the owner wanting tops that wicked moisture the same way his underwear did. They have since expanded the concept into seasonal gear. hunting, skiing, and virtually every other sport. Taken straight from the Under Armour Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour

Compression began as a way to help diabetics with poor circulation.

This is directly from the press release article from the first page.

"I love how they're raising the athletic bar in the sport of golf," Pinckney said. "I think everyone in the [NBA] All-Star game wore tights, besides maybe two or three different players. And there's a reason why they wear them. I love the look, but I mostly love the feel when I'm playing in them. And I feel refreshed when I'm done."

Haha, and in the last year, we are seeing a large amount of that changing at high levels.
Here is the NY Times article from last year about the college game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/s...etball-players-skin-is-no-longer-in.html?_r=0

Some say its as much about fashion as function, others say the opposite, but to think the trend is not shifting is just not accurate.

I think it is much more about fashion than function, but I 100% agree that it is shifting. Look at how many guys even in the NBA are wearing at least one arm sleeve.

Under Armour began from the owner wanting tops that wicked moisture the same way his underwear did. They have since expanded the concept into seasonal gear. hunting, skiing, and virtually every other sport. Taken straight from the Under Armour Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_Armour

Compression began as a way to help diabetics with poor circulation.

Im not sure how that has anything to do with what I posted.
I said UA was not the first with compression, which is true and that people assumed it was for weather, which is also true.

I think it is much more about fashion than function, but I 100% agree that it is shifting. Look at how many guys even in the NBA are wearing at least one arm sleeve.

I think you're right Taylor... And the article previously posted (and the hundreds like it) play a pretty big role. They could have focused on the benefits, but rather focused on the fashion trend and quoted the clueless players who said they liked the way they looked or wanted to hide their knees.

Meh. We'll see where this goes in a year.

This is directly from the press release article from the first page.

"I love how they're raising the athletic bar in the sport of golf," Pinckney said. "I think everyone in the [NBA] All-Star game wore tights, besides maybe two or three different players. And there's a reason why they wear them. I love the look, but I mostly love the feel when I'm playing in them. And I feel refreshed when I'm done."

So, Nike paid a few of it's players to wear something in the All-Star game soon to be released in a marketing campaign for another sport. Gee, where have we seen that before.

When I watch NBA games, I don't see the majority of players wearing them whether it's for form or fashion. Maybe impressionable college kids as the article JB posted suggests.

So, Nike paid a few of it's players to wear something in the All-Star game soon to be released in a marketing campaign for another sport. Gee, where have we seen that before.

When I watch NBA games, I don't see the majority of players wearing them whether it's for form or fashion. Maybe impressionable college kids as the article JB posted suggests.

You know that tights were banned for quite awhile in the NBA right? The new commissioner is much more lax about letting players wear what they want which is why we are seeing it more now. I can think of multiple guys off the top of my head who wear tights and/or compression sleeves.

Im not sure how that has anything to do with what I posted.
I said UA was not the first with compression, which is true and that people assumed it was for weather, which is also true.

My apologies, I took your post (#122) to suggest I was claiming compression began with UA since you quoted my previous post. Hard to translate feeling and effect into something typed on a screen.

Must be the case for all NBA players. There's article after article on with a simple google search regarding the increase in the number of NBA guys where compression gear from tops, to sleeves, to pants.

Not to mention, the NBA all star uniforms were provided by Adidas.

My apologies, I took your post (#122) to suggest I was claiming compression began with UA since you quoted my previous post. Hard to translate feeling and effect into something typed on a screen.

Sure is and its a good conversation.

You know that tights were banned for quite awhile in the NBA right? The new commissioner is much more lax about letting players wear what they want which is why we are seeing it more now. I can think of multiple guys off the top of my head who wear tights and/or compression sleeves.

The ban was lifted following the 2010/2011 season. It has nothing to do with the new commissioner. David Stern retired following the 2014/2015 season. I can also name several who wear them but not as many as one would think if the muscle, joint and ligament benefits were what Nike is suggesting.

Must be the case for all NBA players. There's article after article on with a simple google search regarding the increase in the number of NBA guys where compression gear from tops, to sleeves, to pants.

Not to mention, the NBA all star uniforms were provided by Adidas.

Yep, and 90% of those articles predate 2006 when the ban went into affect.

I am glad you brought that up. I knew of compression gear before UA but to for me UA was the first that I Remember marketing it towards weather purposes.

After studying the benefits in some of my classes and more research on my own I am a huge believer of compression. I wear compression gear on my calves when running marathons and it helps with cramping. I have even gone as far as having a full compression suit to help with body recovery after long training days.

On a bit of a sidebar, my wife read through some of this on my phone during lunch. Her take was we started the thread arguing over the look of Nike's new gimmick outfit which morphed into the "form vs function" aspect which morphed into different uses of "compression" which morphed into its use in the NBA.

She thinks several of us need to be medicated for ADHD. I can't disagree with her but it has been a very interesting and entertaining conversation.

I don't know if I would wear them under my shorts, but I would wear them under the rainpants or something like that. But I wouldn't judge anyone.

I don't have a problem with them. But I don't get the purpose, and I certainly don't think its a good look for anyone.

I definitely don't see why the PGA would allow this and not shorts.

Back