Which Club Change Would You Make?

For me the set AW is a lot hotter than a traditional wedge. My burner AW is 49 degrees. My gaping is 110 yards for the AW and 95 for the 52 degree. When I was gaming the burners, I think my ideal wedge setup would have been set AW, 52 and 58. Basically, combining the 56 and 60. I never hit the 60 full, but love it around the green. I think I could be comfortable with a 58 around the green and maybe learn to hit it full.

I haven't been playing long with the Apex pro's so I'm still dialing in my distances and will build my wedge set around them. I'm guessing though that I'll want to add a set AW.

That's a good point about the AW potentially being hotter than a regular wedge. I think I may start by trying to find an AW (hopefully the local shop has one) and a 50* MD3 and comparing them and then taking it from there.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the XR Pros, Tim. I still absolutely love them.

That's a good point about the AW potentially being hotter than a regular wedge. I think I may start by trying to find an AW (hopefully the local shop has one) and a 50* MD3 and comparing them and then taking it from there.

I'll be interested to hear how you like the XR Pros, Tim. I still absolutely love them.

I've got Apex Pro's. I picked up a used set of the original 2014's with steel fibers. I've only played one round with them. Played well, but couldn't figure out my distances yet.

I've got Apex Pro's. I picked up a used set of the original 2014's with steel fibers. I've only played one round with them. Played well, but couldn't figure out my distances yet.

Ahh - poor reading comprehension on my part.

I'd change my hybrid.... probably to an 18* UT which is what my next move/tinker plan is.

Should be a lot of fun.

Change out my current hybrid in lieu of the other options you mean?

Definitely wedges I would say - one of the better moves I made was adding my 60* and I now carry 4 wedges....

Could be a nice little blend from that XR Pro 4 iron!!!

I've actually thought about pulling the 4 iron and putting a 21* UT or Apex hybrid in. But I figured I'd already created enough dilemmas for myself. Now you have me thinking about it again though.

Look at my handicap and take my opinion for what it is worth lol!

I say upgrade your wedges and practice practice practice. If that's where you are losing the most strokes on your game, then that's where I would focus my development.

I've actually thought about pulling the 4 iron and putting a 21* UT or Apex hybrid in. But I figured I'd already created enough dilemmas for myself. Now you have me thinking about it again though.

The fun of golf and tinkering my good man!!! hahahaha!

I'm glad I started goofing around with UTs again. They can be a ton of fun.

Look at my handicap and take my opinion for what it is worth lol!

I say upgrade your wedges and practice practice practice. If that's where you are losing the most strokes on your game, then that's where I would focus my development.

I'm with you on devoting the majority of my practice time to wedges. Just can't decide whether I should also devote my limited club-buying funds to them. The majority definitely favors it though, and there may be something to the idea that if I get new wedges, I'll be more inclined to get out there and work with them, if for no other reason than to dial in distances.

The pros are least likely to change their 3w. It is a hard club to find. Once they have one they like, it tends to stay in the bag for a while.

Before I made any decisions, I would check the lofts of all my current wedges - see how the gapping is between them. You might find out that you don't need wedges as much as you think you do. Or maybe you absolutely NEED a wedge.

Otherwise, you want the driver. Leave the 3w alone, unless you are really not getting along with it.

But, again, I would spec out the wedges before trying anything new.

I'd go for closing the gap in your wedges. Sure, they aren't as fun to replace, but neither is the idea of having to hit a choke down 1/3 swing PW for a 70 yard shot....so I think it's pretty easy to figure out. Any way, enjoy the addition to the bag!

I'm with you on devoting the majority of my practice time to wedges. Just can't decide whether I should also devote my limited club-buying funds to them. The majority definitely favors it though, and there may be something to the idea that if I get new wedges, I'll be more inclined to get out there and work with them, if for no other reason than to dial in distances.
I'd say wedges, for a couple of reasons:
1- Gapping, you said there's a huge gap between the Pitching Wedge and Gap Wedge. 8° is a lot indeed.
2- Same face, same weight, same shape, the right bounce on all wedges. Makes a big difference :)
3- Your driver is fine, sure the 816 is an upgrade, but not as big as wedges.
4- Your 3-wood isn't used as much as the wedges (or the driver I assume), so leave as is.

So that's my opinion, now do with it whatever you please :)

I would go wedges. get that dialed in then do the new shiny clubs elsewhere in the bag.

Back